Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 07:01 AM

18 posts, read 32,122 times

Advertisements

Husband has been relocated to Roseland, NJ and we are looking to rent a single family home or really large townhouse between $1800.00 and 2500.00, but refer to stay closer to the 1800.00 range and prefer houses built in this decade. Husband is use to a commute up to 1.5 hours. I have a 3 and 5 year old - so good elementary school and excellent daycare/pre-k is important. Not concerned about the high school as we will probably move within 5 years or less. Low crime, surburban area.. Also, I am looking for work in all areas, PA/NJ/NY.....Questions:

Anyone know about commute from Lehigh Valley PA to NJ?
Where is the most likley places to find work (I am an attorney, but will not be licensed probably for several months).

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 AM

169 posts, read 661,027 times
commuting to NJ can be rough depending on your husband's hours. I think you would have the most luck looking in NYC for a job. I'm not trying to discourage you but why not rent in NJ? His commute would be so much better and you would be closer to NYC.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 AM

99 posts, read 338,061 times
Commuting to Roseland is no fun. With traffic ( and you will have traffic) the trip can be close to 2 hrs. on a particularly bad day. I vote to look for something a bit closer to husband's work.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:09 PM

36 posts, read 106,657 times
I agree with the others. I don't know where you are coming from, that that drive on 78 can be a real bugger in the winter. He will wind up spending a lot of money on hotel rooms in the winter.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:25 AM

20 posts, read 72,604 times
I have heard the commute is not that bad from speaking with people work near Newark eta. Depends on what time you leave each day.
A little comical at the comment about getting a hotel in winter...winters are not that bad in this area of the country.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:27 AM

36 posts, read 106,657 times
It's because of some of the stories I have heard from people I know that eventually get sick of the driving, then stay in a hotel room when the weather is bad, then they spend more and more time in hotels on good days. Eventually their wives get sick of them being away too long and start straying, eventually resulting in many divorces.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:03 AM

124 posts, read 341,978 times
From what I've heard, if you leave no later than 545am you should be clear of the traffic...if you have 4 wheel drive then you have nothing to worry about when it comes to snow. A hotel? LOL I can see if your spouse is working crazy hrs and is just too tired to drive, but to stay bc the ride is too long? I don't know about that. My hubby works in Somerset and it will take him 55 mintutes to get to work from Bushkill twp, Nazareth if he leaves at 545am. Not bad....only 10 more min than his commute from where we lived in NJ. NYC is 1 1/2 hrs at the least.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:02 AM

63 posts, read 143,284 times
We live in hanover township and husband drives to newark, NJ one day and then Watchung, NJ the next. I think it's a very long commute and we didn't plan on it being that way when we moved. He says he doesn't mind it but we have a 3 year old and I think of the extra 2+ hours each day that he could be home with us instead of me worrying about him on 78 or 22. We've been out here 3 years and to tell you the truth when you add up the money you spend on commuting (400.00 a month) I would have rather stayed in NJ and paid the higher taxes. All you get out here is more house for your money. If you don't care about that, and I don't, I would stay close to where you work. Especially with two little ones.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 AM

124 posts, read 341,978 times
I guess it all depends on how long your commute was before. For us its fifteen minutes more than it was in NJ. I had an hour commute w/o traffic and hubby had a 45 min commute. Now I have an hour and 15 and hubby an hour. For us, it was a great move : )

Old 01-01-2011, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,493 times
One possible solution is to find some colleague to carpool. I relocated from Chicago to LV due to family reasons (my wife works in Bethelehem), and my new job is in Basking Ridge,NJ. I commuted 5 days a week, usually started at 6:30 in summer and 7:00 in winter and left office at 4:30. 80% of time, the commute was within 1 hour-but still way longer than my commute in Chicago North Suburb. Fortunately, one of my colleagues (under the boss!) live about 4 miles to the west of my home in devonshire subdivision. This is a huge relief of the stress! Not to mention ths savings on gas and mileage, the best part is that I can have someone to talk to!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley