Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:19 PM

36 posts, read 91,374 times

Advertisements

Thank you for your response and the information. I am very pleased with Moravian Seminary staff so far. They are wonderful! Yes, I was concerned about the driving since I have never driven in true winter weather. But it sounds like I will be ok according to your response. smile.

I will definitely look around at the other areas once I get settled into the school housing. I plan to rent the school housing for one semester while I look around and learn the safe areas or smaller cities as you mentioned.

I will have to read up on the Muskifest as I have never heard about this. I am sure there is much for me to learn in a new area. Presently I am just trying to find out what stores are around the Seminary?

Blessings,
ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
Congrats, Moravian is a great institution and i'm sure you will love it there. I know you mentioned that you don't want to drive very much, because of the winter weather, we actually have very few snow storms compared to upstate New York or areas around the great lakes, although last winter was an exception.
If you do consider driving, you could save money in rental costs. Smaller towns that are 15-20 minutes away, could save you considerable money when calculated over a year.
A 600.00 2br apartment in Allentown or Bethlehem might not land you in very desirable neighborhoods.
In Coopersburg, you can rent a three story ( i wonder if they mean bedrooms?) for 650 a month. Coopersburg is a safe and quiet town. You can get to downtown Bethlehem in about 15 mins.
craigslist: lehigh valley classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events
Good luck on your endeavors at Moravian. This summer while you are in Bethlehem don't miss................ Musikfest - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 09:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Once again I am asking for some information since I have never been in the area. I found out that my bank that I have been with like forever is not in the PA area. Can anyone recommend a good bank in the area that might be near the seminary?

And is there a Wal Mart in Bethlehem or what grocery stores are in the area? No, I am not in PA yet but I will be there in time for school on Jan. 31st. But I do need to find a bank before I arrive.

Thanks

Old 01-07-2011, 08:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I just did a google search for banks and came up with these choices: Banks in Bethlehem, PA on Yahoo! Local

I really wouldn't worry to much about basic stores and services. There are stores all over and since you have a car, you can just drive to stock up. As you can imagine, there won't be any big stores, like a Walmart or Target right in town. The best grocery store in the area is a Wegman's and there is one here: Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Bethlehem If you don't have a GPS and don't want to invest in one you should pick up the Lehigh Valley book map, available at the local Walmart or Target. Which by the way are - Walmart.com - Store Finder Results and Target : Store Locator : Search Results

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2011, 11:41 PM

Thank you for the link to the banks. I did research a couple of them and make contact. Well everything is set for school and housing. The house owned by the seminary is about 1 minute from campus so this is great since I have never visited the area. Truly I am thankful.

Now I just have to decide quickly if I am going to drive up or fly up and wait out the winter weather. I might fly up and come back for my car in a couple of weeks since I will be living near campus.

Again, I thank you so much for the links and guidance.

Blessings,

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I just did a google search for banks and came up with these choices: Banks in Bethlehem, PA on Yahoo! Local

I really wouldn't worry to much about basic stores and services. There are stores all over and since you have a car, you can just drive to stock up. As you can imagine, there won't be any big stores, like a Walmart or Target right in town. The best grocery store in the area is a Wegman's and there is one here: Locator Detail | Wegmans - Wegmans Bethlehem If you don't have a GPS and don't want to invest in one you should pick up the Lehigh Valley book map, available at the local Walmart or Target. Which by the way are - Walmart.com - Store Finder Results and Target : Store Locator : Search Results

Old 01-22-2011, 12:44 AM

The time has flown by and just a few more days before I fly out for the seminary. I have noticed the weather is not getting any warmer in Lehigh Valley. Can anyone tell me just how much snow have you gotten the past couple of days? I think it was wise that I fly for now and drive my car up once the spring arrives. Gosh I am not looking forward to the weather being that cold. smile.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 AM

I think we have about 5 inches on the ground. Unless you are a home-owner or driving around, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just dress in layers and make sure you have gloves, a hat and a scarf. It is going to be quite a shock since you didn't have the cool fall to prepare you for the frigid winter. Just know that there are four seasons here and after winter it's all good!

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Wow 5inches! This will be a shock since I am so use to South Florida and Houston weather. I do hope the spring arrives soon and very soon. Thank you for the reminder to dress in layers. I think until I adjust to the cold I will be a home body for a couple of weeks unless it is for class and clinical. I made sure to ask the school if the house had sufficient heat and they said yes.

Yes, the more I hear of the snow and below normal temperature for me, the more I am certain I made the right decision to fly for now. I would not do well driving on ice and snow on a 1500 mile trip. Thank God for wisdom. And thank you for the information.

Now I just need to find out if there is a bus/mass transit system in Bethlehem and Allentown since I am going without my car for a couple of weeks? Do you know of any bus system there? I would think there is one since there are students in the area. I requested a relocation guide from the Chamber of Commerce before the holidays so I can learn about the area and services but it still has not arrived and I will be leaving Houston on Wed. So I need to know about the transit system?

Thanks for all your guidance,

Quote:
I think we have about 5 inches on the ground. Unless you are a home-owner or driving around, I don't think it's that big of a deal. Just dress in layers and make sure you have gloves, a hat and a scarf. It is going to be quite a shock since you didn't have the cool fall to prepare you for the frigid winter. Just know that there are four seasons here and after winter it's all good!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:22 PM

This is the only public bus. Welcome to LANTA It serves the Lehigh Valley. We have no regional rail. They are talking about a pretty good snow storm Tues/Wed, but who knows?

I have to tell you that you would do better to find something to like about winter. Spring is months away.

Realtors, See This.

Old 02-06-2011, 01:17 AM

I like your comment about finding something to like about winter.....as I have been here one week and I am not liking the winter at all. I am not use to this and I stay cold. Yesterday while out walking I slipped on the ice and fell flat on my back. Thank goodness there were people around to help me get up and make sure I was ok. I like the school and the people here but the winter is killing me. Perhaps I should have waited until the Fall to start school. smile.

But I am glad I did not drive my car as I do not know how to drive on snow and ice and not sure my car would have survived the harsh winter. School seems like it will be ok but lots of work and papers to get done.

Thank you,
Blessings

Quote:
This is the only public bus. Welcome to LANTA It serves the Lehigh Valley. We have no regional rail. They are talking about a pretty good snow storm Tues/Wed, but who knows?

I have to tell you that you would do better to find something to like about winter. Spring is months away.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Yeah, this is not a good winter. The secret to staying warm is dressing in layers. The Lanta bus goes to The Promenade Shops and LL Bean is having their winter sale. Get some warm winter underwear and you'll be comfy. L.L.Bean: long winter underwear Similar stuff is available to buy on-line and also from Lands End - Overstock, Closeout Clothing at Lands' End Fleece too. And always keep your extremities, head, hands and feet warm.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley