Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2011, 07:02 PM

627 posts, read 1,295,756 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My daughter in Law and her sister each want to buy a car. They asked me about the Allentown Auto Auction - AAA, but I never bought a car from an auction.

I know people who have, though not in Allentown, and they always had a good experience.

AAA has been in business for 15 years and seems to be well run. Google does not bring up any negative info on them.

I figured the best place to ask was here in the Lehigh Valley CD Forum.

Anyone have any dealings with them? They do charge a yearly fee for the "privilege".

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Han

Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM

28 posts, read 80,459 times
Been there.Yes they have a yearly fee 115 I think. its a crap shoot, you vissibly inspect then they drive it into a bay so you hear it run and bid on it... watch out for people bidding you up just to help there partners and friends out.better off looking on auctionzip.com and finding a regular auction near you with a car for sale

Old 02-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Melog- Thanks for your response..

$115?

Their website says $41, but I'm going to go by one day just to check it out before anything - just to be sure.

Can you elaborate on the "people bidding up to help friends" thing?

How does that help them? And how does that affect me?

I just want to get some insight so we're not railroaded

Old 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM

I bring a car to sell
2 of my buddies are there and bid you up just to meet the reserve
not all people are trustworthy and it feels like your at a shady in another country. Its a different experience. Its been a few yrs since I went there,they may have changed the prices but I doubt the clientell has changed much. get there early so you have plenty of time to look over the vehichles really well,remeber they are AS IS.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:27 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
I like Craigslist - craigslist: lehigh valley classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Yea atleast craigslist you can go and test drive plus you nget a fel for the seller

Old 02-15-2011, 12:15 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
you could also try govt. auctions. my buddy got a GMC yukon really cheap. the downside, he had to drive to s. carolina to pick it up.
http://gsaauctions.gov/gsaauctions/gsaauctions/

Old 02-22-2011, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,368 times
There are only a few vehicles that are sold AS-IS. If you spend over $1500 you get 1 hour to take the vehicle out for a test drive to make sure there are no major problems with the car. If there are you get your money back. Try to look at their "SOLD" page on their website. There are cars that were recently sold and how much they sold for then you can get an idea of the prices you can get a car for. Let's be honest. The dealers in the valley buy their cars from there and just bring them back to their lot and mark them up. Why pay the mark up? Just buy them from the source. Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana1234 View Post
There are only a few vehicles that are sold AS-IS. If you spend over $1500 you get 1 hour to take the vehicle out for a test drive to make sure there are no major problems with the car. If there are you get your money back. Try to look at their "SOLD" page on their website. There are cars that were recently sold and how much they sold for then you can get an idea of the prices you can get a car for. Let's be honest. The dealers in the valley buy their cars from there and just bring them back to their lot and mark them up. Why pay the mark up? Just buy them from the source. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, I've been all over their website and you're right about the dealers... I found through someone in LV that this is true.

And they have good quality cars. I read the whole website and have faith that I can walk out of there with a good decent vehicle. I will be going a few times first to recon the activities and watch for the guys who bid to up the prices

So if you're one of them, I'll be watching you!

Thanks again

Old 09-29-2012, 01:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
This thread has been closed since it seems to attract people that just want to post libelous comments. Please direct those to your local newspaper, or better yet the BBB. BBB of Washington DC & Eastern PA

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley