U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2007, 10:26 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,036,318 times
Default Bethlehem- a slice of two visits

I live about 15 minutes from Bethlehem and have recently visited the North side of Bethlehem twice in the last ten days. The first time was a dinner out with my husband at the Apollo Grill. We were celebrating our anniversary and thought that since it was a Thursday night we wouldn't need reservations. We were wrong, the town was hopping and there was no close by street parking so we ended up parking in the municipal parking garage about two blocks from the restaurant. It was a nice evening so we didn't mind a little walking. On our way to the restaurant we saw that there was a band playing in a little pocket park right behind Main Street. After finding out that we would have to wait an hour for a dinner reservation, we went back to the park.

The band was really not that good, we both agreed that they needed a better singer but nothing offensive either. There were quite a few people in the park - singles, couples, families on blankets and several small dogs on leashes. It had a nice safe sort of city block party feel to it. We left there about about 20 minutes and walked down main street. It was suprising to us how many people were out and about shopping and going into the shops, restaurants, and cafe's. After our walk we went back to the Apollo Grill where they had our table ready. The place was still very busy but service was quick and the food delicious.

My next visit to Bethlehem was the following Thursday. I had bunco that evening and in July we always do a Christmas in July theme where we exchange Christmas themed gifts. Most of us just get something in January at the after Christmas sales but I had forgotten to do that this year and the Moravian Book shop was the only place I could think of that had that.

This time I was able to get street parking. The Moravian book shop Moravian Stars, Books, Gifts at the Moravian Book Shop is one of my very favorite places to shop. They have non-tacky Pennsylvania and Bethlehem souvenirs, tons of Christmas decorations, gifts for all occasions including some really cool handmade things, cooking items and of course, a really good book store. They also have a small cafe so you can pause in the midst of shopping without leaving the store. I found a very nice moravian star ornament and a coffee mug plus other things I didn't plan to buy.

I took a short walk up the street to a little shop and got a latte to go and walked around several groups of people including one lady taking pictures of everything. Both trips gave me a good feeling about Bethlehem, and I thought I'd share them with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM

1,508 posts, read 4,402,947 times
Thank you so much. For some reason I think people have a negative feeling about Bethlehem. Your report and SWB's photo tour should do a lot to change that impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley