Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 05:26 PM

5 posts, read 10,543 times

Advertisements

i figured it would be only for about 6 months to a year.....and i need to go to the Gramercy Park area of NYC.....i figure it would be about 2hrs and 10 minutes.....anyone have any advice? good or bad? any info on actually commuting times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 09:38 PM

995 posts, read 2,727,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp8276 View Post
i figured it would be only for about 6 months to a year.....and i need to go to the Gramercy Park area of NYC.....i figure it would be about 2hrs and 10 minutes.....anyone have any advice? good or bad? any info on actually commuting times?
good luck with that. I did two hour one way to rockland county and i've now been out of work since October.

Old 03-16-2011, 07:56 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
My only suggestion is an obvious one, and that's to try to get to the tunnel before 7 am. Good luck with that commute. I think it's going to get old really fast.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:25 AM

19 posts, read 47,205 times
I'm not sure if you are planning on driving or taking the bus up there every day, but I don't think it's crazy if you take the bus from the Charcoal Diner up there and back. There are commuters that do that every day, and the ride takes about 1.5-2 hours depending on traffic. I go up to the city occasionally for work (trade shows) and I see people using the bus ride to get some "me" time, like reading, knitting, or even working! Some people sleep, too.

Old 03-17-2011, 12:30 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,088 times
I commuted from Orefield(north of Allentown) to Philly for almost 6 years. 90 minutes on a good traffic day, hours upon hours on a bad traffic day.

That long of a commute really kills you in the long term. When the weather is bad, it is even worse. I don't want to think of the amount of my life I wasted sitting in a car driving to work, but some times you do what you have to. I made it easier by listening to books on tape.

If it is only going to be 6 months to a year, you will be fine and it is very manageable. But, I would not recommend it for the long term.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:09 PM

5 posts, read 10,543 times
thanks all.........we are thinking about moving out there from NJ for family and house price reasons (i took a huge hit on my house and need to recoop) and i probably will be doing it from 1.5 - 2 years..... i have flexible hours and can stay up in the NJ area a couple of nights but even that location is 1.5 from where i need to go......not sure what to do

Old 05-18-2011, 09:13 PM

26 posts, read 60,769 times
It's a tough situation.

My husband and I have separate houses for that very reason: the awful commute. He lives near his job in Rahway and I live near Bath in PA. He comes home Friday evenings and leaves at 5:00 AM Monday mornings. Any later than that and he gets caught up around Clinton on 78 for 45 minutes. On Fridays, he either leaves by 3:00 Pm or waits until 6:00 PM. The drive is 2 hours when traffic moves well.

Maintaining two places is very expensive but the alternative is him being on the road 4 hours every single day, leaving before daybreak and coming home after dark, no time together, no time for himself, just driving, sleeping, working, and driving some more. The danger inherent in such a commute and the stress on him was the deciding factor in our choice of these unconventional living arrangements. It's not doing much to build up the savings account but we've managed to hold on to our sanities.

If we had to make the daily commute, we'd opt for the bus. You can find ways to make use of that time. You would still be mostly an absentee spouse and father during the week though, not an easy life.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:27 AM

50 posts, read 189,314 times
If you have flexibility with your hours the commute can actually be okay. If you can start work at 9:30-10AM in NYC, you can take a LATER bus and actually miss alot of the worst traffic on Rt. 78 (near Clinton is the worst). I commute to NYC on Transbridge since they have Wi-fi and I can get some work done (or take a nap or read). I beats driving, but it does bite into your time at home. If you can work from home 1 day a week as well, it would be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley