Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM

93 posts, read 309,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What the heck does that mean??
This really needs to be explained? Allentown, as a business center, serves no purpose whatsoever anymore. When Pennsylvania was a large resource extraction state, Allentown was a logical place for manufacturing, heavy industry and all the ancillary businesses which follow. Now there's really no reason to locate there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
This really needs to be explained? Allentown, as a business center, serves no purpose whatsoever anymore. When Pennsylvania was a large resource extraction state, Allentown was a logical place for manufacturing, heavy industry and all the ancillary businesses which follow. Now there's really no reason to locate there.
Others may disagree......

Yankee Stadium peanut seller moving to Allentown - pottsmerc.com

Old 07-08-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
That sort of enterprise makes sense in Allentown. Not really transformative though, is it?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:25 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eephus View Post
But it IS there. It's silly to say that a city shouldn't be around anymore. Life isn't a video game, there is no clean slate for a big city and they can- Allentown can- turn around. I don't think the answer is building tall buildings or bringing in a passenger train, but jobs, yes jobs are a great starting point.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:18 PM

11 posts, read 37,124 times
Quote:
I don't think the answer is building tall buildings or bringing in a passenger train, but jobs, yes jobs are a great starting point.
Any future economic success for Allentown lies with the entertainment/leisure industries or large corporate entities. A city the size of Allentown cannot rely solely on the same type of gentrification that areas of Bethlehem have, as Bethlehem is more self-sustaining, meaning much of the customer bases for Bethlehem's "big projects" are local. In Allentown's case, any kind of large-scale gentrification relies on the city somehow positioning itself as a viable economic hub between New York and Philadelphia that would generate the kind of commercial demand that would justify urban growth.

As Eephus said, Allentown is relatively isolated in this regard. The commuter train argument finds much of it's basis in this information, as the only way for Allentown or any other neighboring cities to align themselves more closely with other major Northeastern hubs is by establishing quicker, more convenient connections via rail infrastructure. A highway system is not as cohesive to commuters on a mass scale.

Therefore, I would say that many of the points in this thread aren't without base. Allentown does not need any major infrastructure upgrades if it is to exist in a state similar to what it is currently. Moreover, the Lehigh Valley will continue to grow in a decentralized suburban manner with the major corporate presences being warehouses and distribution centers. Sure, there are many exceptions to the rule. However, many of these exceptions are either locally serving or not related to the social development of the urban cores of the Valley. The argument that Allentown is irrelevant in an industrial sense is completely valid. Therefore, one can easily argue that a city of Allentown's size, built to serve a completely different local economy, is becoming increasingly out of place in a changing Lehigh Valley. If such a city wanted to reposition itself as more relevant, along the lines of other relevant Northeastern cities, better infrastructure is required, be it rail connections, education, jobs, desirability to commercial entities, etc.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:03 AM

Quote:
But it IS there. It's silly to say that a city shouldn't be around anymore. Life isn't a video game, there is no clean slate for a big city and they can- Allentown can- turn around. I don't think the answer is building tall buildings or bringing in a passenger train, but jobs, yes jobs are a great starting point.
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say here. It sort of sounds like someone who knows absolutely nothing about economics or urban development feels like expressing an opinion anyway. But it's never a good idea for a person - even a bored homemaker with moderator duties - to call someone's comment silly without backing it up with something more substantive.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:07 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Allentown adjoins Bethlehem, how can that be considered isolated? I'm not opposed to rail traffic, but if you read this New York City train - mcall.com, that's off the table. It would be great, but all indications are it's not going to happen.

I certainly won't disagree that some companies that are coming to the area are not likely to settle in downtown Allentown, but I think what it basically needs is someone with vision to promote the city. Surely there are business that would fit, besides warehouse and distribution centers. The companies that moved to the Stabler Center in Center Valley could have moved to Allentown.

I cross-posted with you Eephus. I'm afraid your throw away comments were not well written enough for me to understand. This is a public bulletin board, not an internal urban planners forum. Would you like to expand on this-
Quote:
A city of that size, where it is located, really has no reason to exist in the 21st century.
or
Quote:
Allentown, as a business center, serves no purpose whatsoever anymore.
It's not as if you can bulldoze the city and start over. It's here. What needs to be done to re-vitalize it?

For the record, I've never been married to my house any more then my husband has and I do have a paying job.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-10-2011 at 11:19 AM..

Old 07-14-2011, 11:32 AM

6 posts, read 8,325 times
Allentown needs to be cleaned up. I think that's why businesses aren't going there. Center city is a mess. The thing about Allentown is that there is a lot of potential, but nothing is happening, except a lot of the people from New York City are moving there.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:12 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand your argument. Allentown adjoins Bethlehem, how can that be considered isolated? I'm not opposed to rail traffic, but if you read this New York City train - mcall.com, that's off the table. It would be great, but all indications are it's not going to happen.

I certainly won't disagree that some companies that are coming to the area are not likely to settle in downtown Allentown, but I think what it basically needs is someone with vision to promote the city. Surely there are business that would fit, besides warehouse and distribution centers. The companies that moved to the Stabler Center in Center Valley could have moved to Allentown.

I cross-posted with you Eephus. I'm afraid your throw away comments were not well written enough for me to understand. This is a public bulletin board, not an internal urban planners forum. Would you like to expand on this- or It's not as if you can bulldoze the city and start over. It's here. What needs to be done to re-vitalize it?

For the record, I've never been married to my house any more then my husband has and I do have a paying job.
Not opposed yet you slam every chance you get over bad facts. Its been sheveled for now , but the NJ side is still a go...which means Philpsburg might start to become a boomtoom with companies and more ppl relocating there.... The Lehigh Valley will miss the boat on this one and people will probably be angry at Harrisburg for that which doesn't seem to ever thick things out.... Alot of companies are eager to leave the city and relocate , they do that along Rail lines so the have an alt connection to NYC other then driving , sadly there limited to NJ - NY - CT - SEPA....and it shouldn't be like that. Eastern PA with the population it has should have access to Rail and would be perfect for the companies to relocate to. To make Allentown nicer the City should look to our Urban Renewed cities like Yonkers , Harrison , Asbury Park , and New Brunswick.... Your city has issues in crime , Education , and Downtown Appearance aswell as being isolated infastrature wise...

Old 07-16-2011, 08:43 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth777 View Post
IM tired of seeing that hiddous PPL Building in Downtown Allentown.... Someone should purchase land to build more taller buildings in Downtown Allentown. Shoot Allentown's Mayor Ed Pawlossky took property from owners to build an arena for Allentown Entertainment and to reduce taxes. Why not do the same by Building A 40 floor atractive looking skyscraper for residential, shopping, and entertainment. Allentown would look alot better with more tall structures for bussiness and restaurants. What do you think and spread the news to Ed Pawlosky at Allentown.org. But please leave info here to.
The idea that Allentown needs skyscrapers to improve itself is one of the more ridiculous ideas I've ever heard. Here I thought having jobs, regardless whether they are located in ten 3 story buildings or one 30 story building, is what Allentown needs.

You know what I think "kills" Allentown's (and for that matter Bethlehem's) skyline? The success of the business parks located parallel to US 22 between the Lehigh River and PA 191 (and especially between the Lehigh River and Schoenersville Road). Those business parks have much more cohesive infrastructure (i.e. ease of access) than business parks in many other places. The Lehigh Valley's growth as both a medical hub and a transportation distribution hub also works against having tall skyscrapers in Allentown (and Bethlehem); neither of those industries need tall skyscrapers in dense urban environments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley