U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 AM

4 posts, read 9,528 times

Advertisements

I'm new here, so I'm gonna jump in with both feet.

You cannot get a better "philly" cheesesteak outside of the Lehigh Valley. period.

They are better than cheesesteaks you get in Philadelphia (which in my oppinion are overrated). I expect to get a lot of flak about this, but I bet most of you will agree with me.

That being said, what are your favorites? Mine are:
Berlinsville hotel, rt. 248, Berlinsville PA. and Stehley's Cellarette Hanover ave. Allentown PA.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,803,088 times
Default cheese-steak showdown

Lehigh Valley Live did a "best cheese-steak " showdown last winter.

Michael's Steaks, Bethlehem
Petey's Eatey's, Plainfield Township
The Pickled Egg, Wilson Borough
Joe's Steak Shop, Phillipsburg
Mivajo's Pizza, Upper Nazareth Township
Detzi's Tavern, Wind Gap
Carl's Corner, Bethlehem
Gino's Market, Phillipsburg
Augie's Spare Time Restaurant, Washington Township, Pa.
Matey's Crossroads Hotel, Hellertown
Dicola's Pizza, Washington
Giacomo's Italian Market & Grille, Easton
Rascals Steaks, Whitehall

Personally, I like Nick's on Center Street in Bethlehem

Old 01-11-2012, 08:33 PM

2,311 posts, read 1,737,240 times
For me my two fav's are The Brass Rail located at 3015 Lehigh Street in
Allentown and Matey's Famous Steaks And Pizza located at 1305 Broadway in Fountain Hill.

Both are absolutely delicious!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 PM

3,808 posts, read 2,803,088 times
I meant to say Nick's on Main street. Steak Sandwiches are $4.50 for 8", and $5.50 for 12". Cheese is an additional quarter. A Deluxe is an extra 50 cents on top of the Cheese.

Nick's Pizza Restaurant
Nicholas Bozakis
822 Main Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
Phone: 610-865-3366

Old 01-15-2012, 10:29 AM

3,437 posts, read 5,012,816 times
Will the conversations about cheesesteaks ever end? It is a slab of meat placed into a roll. I just do not get the fascination. Having said that I prefer Michaels if I ever feel an urge to have one. W/sauce, w/o sauce whatever. It depends the mood I am in.

On the subject of the Brass Rail they are terribly overrated. I will have to admit their soggy cheesesteaks have a certain sentimental charm to them, but overall I can do without. In addition their other selections are quite blandized. They may have been able to get away with serving this substandard food years ago, but the new progressive hip Lehizzle Valley folks like myself are aware of better options.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:01 PM

93 posts, read 193,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Will the conversations about cheesesteaks ever end? It is a slab of meat placed into a roll. I just do not get the fascination.
I don't either. The best ones I've ever had weren't worth going five minutes out of my way for.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:43 AM

11,198 posts, read 8,120,064 times
If you have a good cheesesteak, you'll know they are an awesome sandwich. But you have to have the right ingredients and its got to be prepared the right way. Chipped beef grilled WITH sweet onions and not allowed to dry out, almost steamed. Good marinara sauce( a must or the cheesesteak will be lacking). Provolone cheese preferably melting into the meat but american or cheese wiz is okay. Then piled high on a chewy roll.
I have to admit though, I had a sandwich at Quiznos last week that was awesome. A toasted prime rib with peppercorn sauce and swiss cheese. I added a lot of creamy hoseradish and then pourded the au jus gravy on it and ate it with a fork. Awesome.

Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 AM

15 posts, read 25,879 times
Any place that gets its rolls from places as far as northern jersey has the best local cheese steaks. why do I say this, because they went as far just to make sure they have the best tasting food. Believe me if you have a good roll that makes the cheese steak almost as much as the steak.

Old 04-06-2012, 09:35 PM

1 posts, read 5,455 times
Default Best in Allentown

I was surprised to see so many comments related to the Brass Rail; like Pat's and Genos in Phila, the Brass Rail in Allentown has been coasting on their reputation for so long that quality is not even addressed anymore. I specifically enjoyed Richard Rys's research in this area.

One Man, 50 Cheesesteaks

I was sorry he did not consult me in this matter, his loss. Had I been involved, I would have directed him to to the best cheesesteak in Allentown or Phila. Allentown has about 6 or 7 Phila quality shops, Sewards @17th and Union gets honorable mention, however, Salvatore Ruffino's @19th and Allen(the old shop) has them by a nose.

Worth mentioning, Barney's on the south side of Easton, Pa, was, and will always be, the best steak ever made. You either had one, or you didn't. For those of us who did, we are on a lifelong struggle to find one as good, Phila, China, whatever, doubt it will happen, but I am open to any suggestions. Please don't say Tony Luke's, if you go there, get the roast pork w/broccoli rabe, it's pretty good, then go to John's Roast Pork up on Snyder for a steak. You could cut the irony with a knife! Serious reply's only.

Last edited by Cheesesteak Jesus; 04-06-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM

11,271 posts, read 10,996,034 times
Anyone old enough to remember ZANDY'S on a triangle in South Allentown...Lehigh Street?

They may not have been the BEST steak sandwich but they were the largest I've ever seem...packed with more meat than you could get your mouth around.

The place was IMMENSELY popular in its heyday.

(Steak sandwiches are something I miss the most. The first time I ordered one in NJ out came a single chunk of tough round steak between 2 pieces of toast. I have yet to muster enough bravery to order one in NYC.)

I agree, Allentown had better Steak Sanwiches than "Philly."

Last edited by Kefir King; 04-09-2012 at 08:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley