U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-12-2012, 09:58 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,092,213 times
Default French and Indian War in Lehigh Valley

I realize that this is what Northampton county looked like in 1752. But one of my early ancestor's was having trouble with Indians in the far north of present day Northampton County (Lehigh Township formed 1765)

Their names were Johannes Jacob and Anna Maria Altman.

His name is found on a petition to the provincial authorities, dated May 26, 1757 requesting protection form the Indians in Northampton County. No action was taken on this petition.

A second petition, dated October 5, 1757 was also signed by Jacob Altman and sent to the provincial authorities for protection.
This time action was taken, several blockhouses were built and troops were garrisoned there until the end of hostilities in 1758.

They both died in 1775.

Does anyone else have access to 18th century historical information, or stories about ancestors besieged by Indians?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 07:55 AM

10,031 posts, read 15,383,199 times
My husbands mother's family is from Aquashicola. There's a story in the family of a boy and girl being abducted by Indians, raised by them and then later returning to their birth family!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 AM

114 posts, read 78,230 times
The Lower Macungie library has a great book called "History of Lower Macungie Township" that includes early maps of the area. There is a 1753 map that shows several modern roads, including a portion of Cedar Crest, as already existing at that time.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,092,213 times
Macungie Township was formed in 1743, when Lehigh County was still part of Bucks County. It comprised the area of present Upper and Lower Macungie townships, including the boroughs of Macungie and Alburtis. The population then was 650 persons. So I am not surprised that there were several roads by 1753.

Northampton County was created in 1752; Lehigh County was separated from it in 1812. On May 5, 1832, Lehigh County approved a petition to divide Macungie Township into two.

The Aquashicola story is interesting. There was a major Indian raid on a Moravian settlement in Lehighton in 1755 (in the first year of the French and Indian war) where 10 people were killed and the townspeople fled to Bethlehem. My ancestor made his first request in 1757.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley