Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 PM

37 posts, read 166,759 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! Let me give you a little background before I ask all my questions..hopefully I won't have that many just yet..

I'm seriously thinking about taking a job located in Clinton, NJ (I have 2 weeks to decide and then it's D day!!) Right now I live in Brick, NJ...which is a heavily populated shore town. I'm used to traffic and great restaurants and bars and things to do. The commute would take me 2 hours ( on a good day) to get to Clinton so I'll need to relocate.

Just off the top of my head (and a map) I was thinking of:

Allentown
Bethlehem

If anyone lives there or knows about the area...I would really appreciate any info possible.

I'm willing to drive about 30 to 45 minutes to work but no more than that...can anyone tell me if these cities are safe, within my commute time, and have a decent size population in my age group? late 20's and 30's? I'll be looking to rent for a while so any ideas on safe neighborhoods would be great.

Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 AM

Please can someone respond to my post? Maybe I wasn't clear enough....

I would like a comparision of the following:

Allentown, PA
Bethlehem, PA

I would like a comparision on the cost of living, housing costs, entertainment, politics, etc.

Are there any surrounding towns or communities that might be attractive to a single 28/F?

Anything anyone can offer would be a help. I see alot of people viewed the post but no responses so hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Thanks again!! :-)

Old 09-26-2007, 09:00 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Kim, I think that's because this is probably because that sort of question comes up almost daily so if you do a little looking around you will get your answers. That said, here is a quick summary:

Allentown has more crime, not a good place to live right now. Bethlehem is a cool small city to live in. Lehigh University is on the South side (don't live there) and Moravian college is on the North side. If I were you and used to lots of activity, I would move to Bethlehem (North side near Moravian College) no question. There are alot of great towns surrounding both of these cities but most are family oriented. I'm not sure how easy it would be to meet other single people. The city of Bethlehem hosts three big festivals a year including Celtic Classic this weekend. 2007 Celtic Classic - September 28th, 29th and 30th. - Bethlehem PA (broken link) In August there is Musikfest Musikfest 2007 - America's Music Festival - Bethlehem, PA and in December there is Chriskindlemart: Christmas City - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania Christmas is a big deal in Bethlehem.

Here's a link to a thread that might be helpful: http://www.city-data.com/forum/penns...city-girl.html

Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Default Honestly there is not much to do around..!!!

Kim, it seems "toobusy" answered most of your questions - I moved from Livingston to Bethlehem about two or so months ago and I love it.

Honestly there is not much to do around here in Bethlehem unless you cross over to the college/city side or go to Allentown. You pretty much cannot compare the NJ or NY city life to life in the Lehigh Valley area. Everything around here is pretty much relaxed and not as busy/rowdy as NJ or NY - even the cops are more relaxed as well. But there are some nice festivals though I enjoyed musikfest so much it was my first and looking forward to many others. The Lehigh Valley area overall seems to be very family oriented with many families doing the daily commute to NY or NJ and thats about it.

Housing costs IMO are pretty affordable depending on how far you go from the NJ/Pennsy border. As far as politricks ooops sorry politics and its headaches I am not a big fan. Cost of living might factor out to be the same as NJ since you intend to commute to work and back - mileage plus wear and tear on your car all add up as well as gas so in one way or another you are giving up higher housing costs in NJ but yet being able to save a little bit more for a rainy day in PA - also the commute could wear you out if you have no experience as a road warrior.

Anyway this is my take - if you are looking for the NY/NJ kind of attractions, you will not find them around here you might want to go a little further to I believe the Pittsburgh area or something deeper into PA.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards
D.

====================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmaranclh View Post
Please can someone respond to my post? Maybe I wasn't clear enough....

I would like a comparision of the following:

Allentown, PA
Bethlehem, PA

I would like a comparision on the cost of living, housing costs, entertainment, politics, etc.

Are there any surrounding towns or communities that might be attractive to a single 28/F?

Anything anyone can offer would be a help. I see alot of people viewed the post but no responses so hopefully this clears it up a bit.

Thanks again!! :-)

Old 09-27-2007, 11:56 AM

Thank you so much for the responses. I did a little bit more digging after I posted and found out alot of info, sorry to be so repetetive. A slower pace of life sounds great for me...I just don't want it to be so slow that I beat the snail in the race you know? haha I've pretty much ruled out the Allentown area because all I keep hearing about is the crime..and Bethlehem seems to be awesome. I'm going to take a ride out there next week and go from there..

So thanks again!!!

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,956 times
Kim - a few more things.....if you plan on using mass transit (LANTA bus) they only run from about 5:00am - 10.30pm or so --- and also there is the Trans-Bridge bus service that goes from Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton to either Newark Airport in NJ or Port Authority in NY...they might even go to Clinton or other areas you will have to check their website for that information.

Also they do not have the regular Pathmark and Shoprite stores we are used to in NJ so far all I have seen are Giant and Weiss there may be more...but I prefer shopping at Giant and on occassions come down to NJ to do the Shoprite can sale.

Banks - There is no Chase, CITI Bank or WAMU around where I live but I have seen Bank of America and a lot of Wachovia branches around.

Cabs - whew they sure take a while around here call about an hour ahead of time Quick Service is great and they run 24hrs.
Premium Taxi takes forever to get to you and they are always late....good thing is all the cabs have working meters.

I have not used the train service around here yet so I do not know exactly what that entails but the LANTA and Trans-Bridge services I have tried and they were great always on time and way better than NJ Transit. A day pass on LANTA is only $2.50, a one way trip on the Trans-Bridge bus to Newark Airport is abt $18 if bought at the office and $19 to NY Port Authority.

Anyways just thought you might be interested in this info as well.

====================

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmaranclh View Post
Thank you so much for the responses. I did a little bit more digging after I posted and found out alot of info, sorry to be so repetetive. A slower pace of life sounds great for me...I just don't want it to be so slow that I beat the snail in the race you know? haha I've pretty much ruled out the Allentown area because all I keep hearing about is the crime..and Bethlehem seems to be awesome. I'm going to take a ride out there next week and go from there..

So thanks again!!!

Old 10-01-2007, 11:51 AM

thanks for the info! I have a car so I'll be doing most of my travelling that way..although it's great to see that mass transit isn't expensive ($2.50????? WOW) I'll get used to the lack of choice when it comes to grocery shopping, I'm actually looking forward to more Mom and Pop places and less chains.

I just got a response on a roommate situation in Easton, PA.

Can anyone tell me anything about the Washington St area of Easton?

I've read some good...some bad...some great...some REALLY bad on Easton. I'm no stranger to crime and having to watch your back (Ocean Cty, NJ gets a little crazy in the summer months) but I don't want to be in any ghetto areas either. I'm planning to take a ride out there at the end of the week...but once again, any info is appreciated!

Old 10-02-2007, 05:23 AM

7 posts, read 36,955 times
Hi there

I moved from to the Lehigh Valley from Lakewood about 20 years ago (I grew up there). I moved here for the same reason as you, Clinton area job, no way I could commute that. Its terrific living here, though I miss the quick access to the beach (and seeing my relatives during the summer).

You may want to drive out a little further to the Center Street exit off 22. There are several beautiful apt complex in this area - Pointe North, Bridle Path Woods and a few others. The area is very centrally located and is about 30-45 minutes to Clinton. Everything in the Valley feels no more than 15 minutes away (restaurants, theatre, airport, shopping, shopping, shopping. Very safe, clean friendly. Just a great area to live. BTW the area is considered Bethlehem.

I would avoid Washington Street area Easton. Knowing Brick, it would be quite different for you having a very different vibe. If I was your dad, I wouldn't be comfortable with my single daughter there.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,847 times
Default just a heads up

I hear you mentioning of crime in only Allentown. Just giving you a heads up that Bethlehem and Easton have their problems too, ie, murders, stabbings, assualts etc. I just don't want you to get the wrong idea. I don't know much about the areas of Bethlehem but living in Easton, I'll tell you that the better/safer parts of the city are Wilson, Palmer, Forks, and College Hill. The West Ward is going downhill rapidly. Southside is an area to avoid mainly due to the projects out there, but I hear they will be tearing them down. downtown is okay during the daytime hours but has problems at night. Bethlehem has cool festivals, I was just at the Celtic Classic September 2007 it was a lot of fun, so if you are interested in a city that has "stuff" going on, that might be a better choice. As far as meeting people in your age range...Allentown/Easton/Bethlehem is a very populated area, Allentown being the third most populated city in PA. so you shouldn't have much problems meeting new people.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM

4 posts, read 10,477 times
Default To be Fair

I had to make a reply to this thread because I feel the Lehigh Valley and it's cities have not been well represented by the other posts. In fact they are misbegotten if not lilly livered. The only reason someone might imply the area's cities are crime ridden is probably because they have never spent real time in an urban environment.

The Lehigh Valley is one of the fastest growing economies in the US. You can be rest assured it's not because of the crime! It's because the area is affordable compared to NY and NJ. The regional cities have rough spots but the crime rates per capita are no worse than say New Brunswick, NJ if you are familiar and pale in comparison to parts of NYC, Newark, Camden or Asbury Park even.

Easton, Bethlehem and Allentown to varying degrees are very fun and extremely hip.

I moved to the area from my beloved NYC just after 9/11 and it was the best descision of my life. If your 30ish and single you wont find a better place to find friends and socialize. The real estate opportunities are abundant. You are about an hour from NY and Philly. About 1/2 an hour to Clinton, NJ or the Poconos on the weekend. Easton, Bethlehem and Allentown are filled with Soho style loft apts. at 1960's prices. Or you can live just outside of town, essentially in the country, for even less.

There is to much to be said about this area to contain in a short post. I strongly feel anyone would like it here. Why don't you pay Easton ot Bethlehem a visit and see for yourself.

Last edited by Yac; 11-11-2007 at 04:34 AM.. Reason: advertising not allowed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley