Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 AM

302 posts, read 629,652 times

Advertisements

I see! Reading all this makes me feel much better.You see how reading just a few article or statistics can skew your outlook on a whole county? This is awesome. Im so glad I found this forum. I wil not count out Nazareth. I want a rural town that is close to shopping. And of course the schools must be good. Are there catholic churches near? How is the snow in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
I really like Nazareth alot.

I really do think Alicia that you would find this Borough appealing for the same reasons as I do.
Also I fully understand your fear concerning crime in a larger city setting.

Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton as it compares to Jersey City in appearance, crime, blight, etc would be similar in my opinion.
With that being said, the big difference between the Lehigh Valley metro area and Jersey City is it's surroundings.
With Jersey City when you drive north you still have more city to contend with like Hoboken, Union City, Hackensack, etc. You have miles and miles of more densely populated urban cities to contend with whereas with the Lehigh Valley metro area you can be out of the city areas and find yourself in semi rural to rural surroundings rather quickly whether that be north or south, east or west.

I invite you to visit and see for yourself.

I along with the others here really believe you will find the area everything you were searching for and then some.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:01 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Holy Family looks to be the parish that serves Nazareth.

Welcome!

Here's a map from the Diocese of Allentown of all the churches in the vicinity. There aren't as many as in certain parts of NJ or in northeast PA because the Valley has more of a Protestant influence, but there are a few.

Find a Parish | Diocese of Allentown

Nazareth is really close to shopping. As far as grocery stores, there is a Giant and a new Bottom Dollar right in borough limits. About five minutes down Rte. 248 is a major shopping area with Target, Wegmans, Walmart, and many other stores. A few minutes further and you'll reach Palmer Park Mall.

For major retail therapy, not far up 33 about a half hour away is the Crossings Outlets in Tannersville

The Crossings Premium Outlets

The snow isn't horrible, although it will be more than you are used to on the Jersey Shore. Last year was an anomaly for us and we received very little snow, while I believe you guys got quite a bit more? I'm trying to find data in inches but not finding it, but it's not horrible.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:56 AM

302 posts, read 629,652 times
Julian I totally get what your saying. I grew up in North Jersey.Maybe that's why I crave a place more quiet. Good points that you gave me.Matilda thank you for the links. I actually like snow and the shore doesn't get enough. Do they plow well and take care of the highways? Im confused though.On a map Nazareth is farther from JC than Milford in Pike.So how is it a better commute when its longer?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:18 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
One of the big problems with traveling a distance on a road like route 78 is that there are many spots where it's wide open and subject to winds and drifting. If there is a storm, it's just plain hard for the highway department to keep up. Also, it's a major truck artery to NYC. LOTS of big trucks going fast and then sloooow on the hills. I personally hate route 78. Can't imagine doing it often. How each town is cleared is going to be very much on a town by town or township by township basis. In my school district when there is a big snow, you can tell immediately when you cross the township line because one area plows better.

We live just 15 minutes from Allentown and Bethlehem and have very good shopping close-by BUT I get most of my fruits and vegetables (and eggs) from farm stands five minutes from my house. The kind of stands that have a coffee can to collect money. My school district (Southern Lehigh) has more cows then people and is very undiverse, not that the latter is a particularly good thing.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-26-2012, 03:17 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Your husband being a cop in Jersey City might be influencing your perceptions a little too much. Remember not to bring your preconceptions with you. The Lehigh Valley is a lovely area, things are slower, there is a lot of green space. Even center city Allentown, where I worked for many years, is light years removed from the worst of Jersey City.

Also, a lot of folks in northeastern Pennsylvania don't like it when people move from Jersey and New York -- they think they're bringing the worst of the cities with them. And sometimes that is true. Just bear in mind that you are thinking about moving to an area that has borne its share of new residents fleeing Jersey and New York, not always for the better.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:13 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyalicia105 View Post
Ive researched this county and read pretty much only bad things about it. Bad schools, gangs, drugs, crime. I read Plainfield and Pen Argyl are the best parts but you have to deal with a landfill with a smell and possible health problems. Isnt there anywhere in Northhampton that a family can live? It seems its the best county for a quick commute to Jersey City. I need good schools, low crime, a catholic church, a range, a horse farm.I can spend about 250,000. Im from italian/irish descent so being around those cultures would help. My husband does commute but its at 9pm so Im sure the commute wont be bad at that time because no one is on the roads usually. He is used to commuting an hour and a half anyway. Any recommendation? Right now we prefer Pike but northhampton is more of a direct route for him
There are two daily weekday buses from William Penn Highway Park & Ride at Route 33 and William Penn Highway (just south of route 22) that go directly to Jersey City on weekdays. All other buses go to NYC. The bus will be cheaper than driving and tolls, and less dangerous.

If he is commuting at night , driving on I78 will be much faster than going from Penn Argyl. It takes some time to get to I80. Pike county is a difficult commute.

Hope Lock Kennels - Contact us Hope Lock Kennels is 2.5 miles from the Park and Ride and has horses for riding. I presume that you can board one of your own horses, or they can tell you who can. Nazareth Area school district begins just 500 yards north of the Kennels.

Nazareth is home of Mario Andretti, a huge Italian American celebrity.

http://www.experiencecavallos.com/content.html?page=3 My I suggest that you come to Northampton county and eat an excellent Italian meal (albeit expensive) roughly $150 per person including tax and tip. Bring your own wine. That will make you feel better about the county. The expense of a fine meal is nothing compared to the commitment of purchasing a home.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-28-2012 at 11:24 PM..

Old 08-29-2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Ive researched this county and read pretty much only bad things about it. Bad schools, gangs, drugs, crime.
Northampton County (population 318K) reported 4 murders in 2011. Looking at Jersey City's police website there were 15 murders in the last 12 months (population 247K).

I met someone last month who moved to Bethlehem from Jersey City, and he gave me an earful about his fear of gang activity. That fear was the primary reason for his move.

My point is not to do a blow by blow comparison, but just to say balance what you read carefully. It is true that there is more urban areas in Northampton county than in Pike County, and hence more crime. I could also understand your trepidation if you were moving here from Danbury CT. But I don't think of Northampton County as being worse than Jersey City.

Jersey City has a density of roughly 26 people per acre. Outside of Center City Allentown, you won't find a municipality that crowded. Easton at 10 people per acre is the most crowded municipality in Northampton County. What is more common is 3 to 6 people per acre in a municipality. You won't have a lot of the urban life you have in Jersey City.

But Pike County will be a total shock. There is only a single McDonald's in Pike County. Pike County has a density of one house per 9 acres of land.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 08-29-2012 at 01:02 AM..

Old 08-29-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Im confused though.On a map Nazareth is farther from JC than Milford in Pike.So how is it a better commute when its longer?
Google maps says it is about 10 miles further.

Wherever you live in Nazareth area it is less than 2 miles from route 33. After that it is all divided highway to JC.

From Milford you will spend over 30 miles on US206 and NJ15 before you reach the interstates.

Also keep in mind that from Nazareth via I78 the only toll you can't avoid is $1 to cross the Delaware River. Commission E-ZPass account holders who frequently use the agency's toll bridges - individuals who make 20 trips within a 35-day cycle - are eligible for automatic 40-percent rebated discounts on their tolls, paying a 60-cent toll compared to the normal $1 base toll.

As the Police Station is in Journal Square, I assume he will take the Pulaski Skyway.

Coming from Milford it is much more difficult to avoid toll roads.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:20 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Google maps says it is about 10 miles further.

Wherever you live in Nazareth area it is less than 2 miles from route 33. After that it is all divided highway to JC.

From Milford you will spend over 30 miles on US206 and NJ15 before you reach the interstates.

Also keep in mind that from Nazareth via I78 the only toll you can't avoid is $1 to cross the Delaware River. Commission E-ZPass account holders who frequently use the agency's toll bridges - individuals who make 20 trips within a 35-day cycle - are eligible for automatic 40-percent rebated discounts on their tolls, paying a 60-cent toll compared to the normal $1 base toll.

As the Police Station is in Journal Square, I assume he will take the Pulaski Skyway.

Coming from Milford it is much more difficult to avoid toll roads.
Paco is known for given great, well-researched information and this is no different.

I'd like to add that because your husband would be traveling on secondary roads to get to the interstate, his commute would take even longer in bad weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley