Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:02 PM

6 posts, read 8,430 times

Advertisements

I am a guy in my late 20s, lived on the west coast most of my life and I've been offered a promotion to Pennsylvania. I've been told I can either live in Harrisburg or Allentown area, but I literally have no point of reference for either city. I've never even been to the state.

I'm single, enjoy sports and outdoors, good restaurants, fun nightlife, etc. Anyone have recommendations on which city would be the better choice for a 28 year old single male? I'm kind of going in blind and any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 01:22 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,101,852 times
Where on the West Coast did you live?

If you were going to work in Harrisburg, would you be working in the city or the outskirts?

It's a tough question because I like both areas. Lehigh Valley is more sprawled out in terms of things to do. Harrisburg is having major financial issues but for a 20-something guy there's a lot within walking distances of the city:

Restaurant Row has plenty of choices for bars/nightclubs:
Second Street's Restaurant Row, Harrisburg PA | Restaurants & dining on 2nd St. in downtown Harrisburg

The Washington Nationals' Minor League Team is not far from Downtown Harrisburg, on City Island:
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Harrisburg Senators Homepage

Right off of Front Street there is a great walking trail:
Capital Area Greenbelt | Pennsylvania Trails | TrailLink.com

And that's just within walking distance. You could also find a nice high-rise apartment in Harrisburg City for around $800

Be aware, though, that because of the financial issues there are some gritty and not-so-nice looking sections of Harrisburg. Allison Hill is a rough neighborhood with a lot of crime. You likely will have no reason to venture into Allison Hill though, especially at night, because most of the nightlife is right along Second Street. Also, if you have a car you can go over to the West Shore; there are a lot of bars and restaurants there as well.

Remember though, that Harrisburg is a microcosm of a city with only about 55k residents. Allentown has about twice that population.

The Allentown area also has the Iron Pigs (AAA Phillies minor league)
The Official Site of Minor League Baseball | Lehigh Valley IronPigs Homepage

Tons of restaurants (especially in Bethlehem)
Bethlehem, PA Restaurants

and lot of things to do.

Things to do in Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton, PA | Group and Family Activities in Lehigh Valley | Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Pa | Discover Lehigh Valley

The Lehigh Valley is a big region. IMHO it is also better at promoting its events and revitalization projects than Harrisburg is. There is a very strong professional presence through the Lehigh Valley Chamber and other professional organizations, and it's been my observation that people in the Lehihg Valley take issues like job creation and economic development very seriously. I haven't observed that in Harrisburg as much.

Is there any way you can visit before you make your decision? As I said, I've lived in and I like both areas so I don't really feel you can go wrong either way, but I do know that some recent posters from the West Coast did not like Harrisburg.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,547,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjayp View Post
I'm single, enjoy sports and outdoors, good restaurants, fun nightlife, etc. Anyone have recommendations on which city would be the better choice for a 28 year old single male? I'm kind of going in blind and any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
For a guy your age, I would think access to New York for a day trip (say once a month) would probably make me go towards Allentown over Harrisburg. Having never lived on the East Coast, I think you want to get the most out of possibly the greatest city in the world. The bus from Allentown to Manhattan is 2.5 hours each way. Over 50 buses leave from Lehigh Valley on weekdays to NYC (and a substantial number on weekends).

The 185 miles from Harrisburg to New York City is over twice the distance, and most bus rides take 4.5-5 hours. You can drive, but then you have to think about high tolls, gasoline, DUI's, parking.

Also center city of either Harrisburg or Allentown has a fairly high violent crime rate, but Harrisburg is basically one of the most violent cities in the state. Your position is probably in the suburbs in both cases. If you give us the location of your office(s), we could probably be more specific.

If you do end up in Harrisburg, the train to Philadelphia (104 miles in roughly 100 minutes) will get you some weekends in the city. The train from Harrisburg to Philadelphia is $26 each way. The bus from Allentown to NYC is $23.45 one way (down to $16.45 if you go 5 times a month).

Sports are about the same in either city. Minor league baseball, and soon to be minor league hockey in both cities.

The drive to Philadelphia (76er's, Phillies, Flyers, Eagles) is roughly 67 miles from Allentown, and 111 miles from Harrisburg. Once again the train is a good choice from Harrisburg (no trains in Allentown).

Of course from Allentown it is 92 miles to the New York Giants or New York Jets. Also The New Jersey Devils (NHL hockey) and Soccer's Red Bull's are about 90 miles. The New Jersey Nets have moved back to Brooklyn this year.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
For a guy your age, I would think access to New York for a day trip (say once a month) would probably make me go towards Allentown over Harrisburg. Having never lived on the East Coast, I think you want to get the most out of possibly the greatest city in the world. The bus from Allentown to Manhattan is 2.5 hours each way. Over 50 buses leave from Lehigh Valley on weekdays to NYC (and a substantial number on weekends).

The 185 miles from Harrisburg to New York City is over twice the distance, and most bus rides take 4.5-5 hours. You can drive, but then you have to think about high tolls, gasoline, DUI's, parking.

Also center city of either Harrisburg or Allentown has a fairly high violent crime rate, but Harrisburg is basically one of the most violent cities in the state. Your position is probably in the suburbs in both cases. If you give us the location of your office(s), we could probably be more specific.

If you do end up in Harrisburg, the train to Philadelphia (104 miles in roughly 100 minutes) will get you some weekends in the city. The train from Harrisburg to Philadelphia is $26 each way. The bus from Allentown to NYC is $23.45 one way (down to $16.45 if you go 5 times a month).

Sports are about the same in either city. Minor league baseball, and soon to be minor league hockey in both cities.

The drive to Philadelphia (76er's, Phillies, Flyers, Eagles) is roughly 67 miles from Allentown, and 111 miles from Harrisburg. Once again the train is a good choice from Harrisburg (no trains in Allentown).

Of course from Allentown it is 92 miles to the New York Giants or New York Jets. Also The New Jersey Devils (NHL hockey) and Soccer's Red Bull's are about 90 miles. The New Jersey Nets have moved back to Brooklyn this year.
These are all good points except what I've bolded. As I stated, having lived in Harrisburg, there are very safe neighborhoods and the safest ones are where the younger people live. The less safe neighborhoods aren't places he'd ever have a reason to go. Living in the suburbs is preferable for families, but living in the actual city gives more opportunities to younger people for socialization.

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 09-19-2012 at 05:19 AM.. Reason: Nevermind... I see you did post on the Harrisburg forum

Old 09-19-2012, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
As I stated, having lived in Harrisburg, there are very safe neighborhoods and the safest ones are where the younger people live. The less safe neighborhoods aren't places he'd ever have a reason to go.
So the area near the bars on 2nd street is a safe area?

Old 09-19-2012, 05:50 AM

Unless you get drunk and act a fool it's fine. Do things happen that happen in other cities? Yes. Does common sense prevent that stuff from happening to people who use it? Absolutely.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
You should be aware that there are two other cities very close to Allentown that you should consider - Bethlehem and Easton. While your job may be in Allentown proper, the city of Bethlehem adjoins Allentown and is an excellent place for someone your age. It has a vibrant downtown area plus two colleges that give it a young vibe. The arts and music scene is really taking off to with the opening of this place SteelStacks - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania - www.steelstacks.org a couple of years ago. Next weekend is Celtic Fest Celtic Fest 2012 | 2012 Bethlehem, PA | Celtic Cultural Alliance | Highland Games and Irish Music Festival and there are large festivals and events throughout the year.

PacoMartin said that the bus to NYC is 2.5 hours from Allentown, but it's only a 1 1/2 drive by car or the bus from Hellertown (right outside of Bethlehem). Philadelphia is an hour. When I go to Philly, I take a train from about 30 minutes south of here to get there without the hassle of a car.

This is my favorite place to take a hike - Home | Hawk Mountain Sanctuary: Raptor Conservation, Education, Observation & Research

My daughter, who is your age, came home for a visit recently and remarked that she had not realized how well situated we were until she lived outside of the area. I think Harrisburg is a neat little city but I'm glad we ended up here in the Lehigh Valley.

I hope you get a chance to explore both places before making a decision.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:09 AM

http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/840/8/Ke...ule-050712.pdf

The nice thing about living in Harrisburg on 2nd street, is it is easy to get to the train station. The train does go through Philadelphia and on to New York. On weekends it is difficult to come back late at night on a train. You either have to spring for expensive hotel rooms or be an iron man and stay up all night.

If you get yourself a neck pillow and sit upright, you should be able to sleep on the train without being bothered.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:27 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,095 times
I have worked and lived in both areas.
The Harrisburg area affords you direct access to Baltimore and DC in decent time depending on traffic.
I'm a huge fan of the Harrisburg area due to the many recreational activities afforded a person within the confines of a 30 mile radius.

The club scene on 2nd st. in Harrisburg is HUGE and spills out into the streets every weekend evening.
The downtown Harrisburg entertainment scene offers great night clubs, restaurants and events.

Harrisburg proper concerning actually living there is a completely different story.
Violent crime in many sections of the city is quite common place.

The city has deep seated financial issues and continues to struggle yearly in an attempt to rise above it.

If I was going to live there again I would look into places on the west shore in Camp Hill near the Carlisle Pike.
The Carlisle Pike is a major thoroughfare that runs east to west on the west shore.
It offers a huge amount of shopping choices for anything and everything.

The east shore is the side of the Susquehanna River that Harrisburg resides on.
East of Harrisburg is where viable locations to reside exist.

Hershey, Hummelstown and points east offer numerous choices concerning rentals.

Allentown itself does not offer a concentrated area of nightlife like Harrisburg does.
Center city is rife with crime and outside of a few redeeming qualities like the art museum and some other intellectual pursuits offers nothing more than being a holding area for the city's poor and disenfranchised.

Harrisburg has the Riverfront that attracts a heavy volume of festivals and events whereas Allentown offers next to nothing concerning events.

A major plus for Allentown is it's park system and is one of the best in the entire country.
Very clean and heavily patrolled.
I can leave my house in South Allentown and be at the Little Lehigh river fly fishing with my fly hitting the water in under 15 minutes.

The entire metro area encompasses Bethlehem, Easton and Phillipsburg NJ.

Bethlehem offers a vibrant downtown area and a huge arts and music scene thanks to Arts Quest and Steel Stacks which is located on the former Bethlehem Steel site.

As has been mentioned Allentown to NYC is only 90 miles.
You can take the bus or you can drive to Jersey City and take a water taxi across the harbor to Battery Park City and the world is your oyster.

If driving you can be at Newark in 50 mts and at the port authority parking area in another 30 to 40 mts depending on time of day traffic.

The fastest I've made it to Battery Park NY from Allentown driving is 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Not too bad at all.

Allentown's proximity to Philly is approx 60 miles depending on where you live and is an easy drive.
Depending on traffic you can be in Philadelphia metro in an hour.

Also because of Allentowns location driving to the Jersey shore is very easily done which opens up yet another world to you.

Harrisburg's proximity to points east like NYC is certainly much much longer.

Harrisburg to Allentown is 81 miles north/northeast via I-81.

To summarize; Harrisburg and area provides decent nightlife and entertainment.
It offers everything you could want or need concerning shopping.

Allentown; I sold Allentown based on it's proximity to areas that provide said nightlife and entertainment along with recreational opportunities.

I trust this assists you.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:22 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I have worked and lived in both areas.
The Harrisburg area affords you direct access to Baltimore and DC in decent time depending on traffic.
I'm a huge fan of the Harrisburg area due to the many recreational activities afforded a person within the confines of a 30 mile radius.

The club scene on 2nd st. in Harrisburg is HUGE and spills out into the streets every weekend evening.
The downtown Harrisburg entertainment scene offers great night clubs, restaurants and events.

Harrisburg proper concerning actually living there is a completely different story.
Violent crime in many sections of the city is quite common place.

The city has deep seated financial issues and continues to struggle yearly in an attempt to rise above it.

If I was going to live there again I would look into places on the west shore in Camp Hill near the Carlisle Pike.
The Carlisle Pike is a major thoroughfare that runs east to west on the west shore.
It offers a huge amount of shopping choices for anything and everything.

The east shore is the side of the Susquehanna River that Harrisburg resides on.
East of Harrisburg is where viable locations to reside exist.

Hershey, Hummelstown and points east offer numerous choices concerning rentals.

Allentown itself does not offer a concentrated area of nightlife like Harrisburg does.
Center city is rife with crime and outside of a few redeeming qualities like the art museum and some other intellectual pursuits offers nothing more than being a holding area for the city's poor and disenfranchised.

Harrisburg has the Riverfront that attracts a heavy volume of festivals and events whereas Allentown offers next to nothing concerning events.

A major plus for Allentown is it's park system and is one of the best in the entire country.
Very clean and heavily patrolled.
I can leave my house in South Allentown and be at the Little Lehigh river fly fishing with my fly hitting the water in under 15 minutes.

The entire metro area encompasses Bethlehem, Easton and Phillipsburg NJ.

Bethlehem offers a vibrant downtown area and a huge arts and music scene thanks to Arts Quest and Steel Stacks which is located on the former Bethlehem Steel site.

As has been mentioned Allentown to NYC is only 90 miles.
You can take the bus or you can drive to Jersey City and take a water taxi across the harbor to Battery Park City and the world is your oyster.

If driving you can be at Newark in 50 mts and at the port authority parking area in another 30 to 40 mts depending on time of day traffic.

The fastest I've made it to Battery Park NY from Allentown driving is 2 hours and 20 minutes.
Not too bad at all.

Allentown's proximity to Philly is approx 60 miles depending on where you live and is an easy drive.
Depending on traffic you can be in Philadelphia metro in an hour.

Also because of Allentowns location driving to the Jersey shore is very easily done which opens up yet another world to you.

Harrisburg's proximity to points east like NYC is certainly much much longer.

Harrisburg to Allentown is 81 miles north/northeast via I-81.

To summarize; Harrisburg and area provides decent nightlife and entertainment.
It offers everything you could want or need concerning shopping.

Allentown; I sold Allentown based on it's proximity to areas that provide said nightlife and entertainment along with recreational opportunities.

I trust this assists you.
I'm not a 20 something, but with Lehigh, Layfayette, Moravian, Ceder Crest, PSU (in Center Valley), the 2 hospitals, how isn't there a bar/ club scene in the Lehigh Valley? What are all of those college/ grad students doing during the weekend?

Is it just more spread out than in Harrisburg?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley