U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 04:09 AM

10,170 posts, read 10,510,995 times

Advertisements

Restaurant Impossible on the food network is focusing on Benner Street Grill in Fountain Hill.

The show airs on Food Network on May 23rd, at 7pm. The theme of the show is rescuing "failing restaurants". I thought Benner Street was fairly successful, so I don't know if it is simply hype for the show, or all specialty dining places are having difficulty today.

Benner Street has a wonderful Sunset Menu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 09:40 AM

Default Benner Street in Bethlehem

I think that May was when they were shooting the episode, but it isn't airing until July

Show: Restaurant: Impossible • Episode: IL0612ZH

Tune In:
Jul 28, 2013 10:00 PM ET/PT
Jul 29, 2013 1:00 AM ET/PT

Dorothy and Thom, owners of Benner Street Restaurant in Bethlehem, Pa., should be close to retirement but they are so far in debt, they may never be able to stop working. This is Dorothy's second foray into the restaurant business and the first one ended with her living in her car — she is determined to not let that happen again. Unfortunately, she's headed down that road again with an outdated decor, a lack of alcohol at the bar and a husband/chef with whom she fights constantly. It's up to Chef Robert to open Dorothy and Thom's eyes and get their restaurant back on the road to success.

Printed from FoodNetwork.com on 06/06/2013© 2013 Television Food Network, G.P. All Rights Reserved

Old 06-06-2013, 12:09 PM

726 posts, read 992,332 times
With that said, they did a restaurant in Pike County in Mar. Restaurant Impossible: Pinehurst | Milford PA | Local News I guess it should be airing this month. From the reviews, this place seems like a dump. I hope Benner Street is much better before and after.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
I hope Benner Street is much better before and after.
From what I can tell, they target restaurants with basically decent cooking, but which are in older crumbling buildings and outdated decor. That way they can get away with inexpensive changes and create a transformation in 48 hours with $10K.

The news covered the crowd waiting for the big reveal, but they were obviously prevented from filming inside and upsetting the TV show.

As there are 2 months between the work and the TV show, the restaurant obviously gets a lot of business in those 2 months by people curious to see what it looks like. The TV show and subsequent publicity should help business for at least a year. All in all, it is a good deal for the business.

I wonder who puts up the $10K to do the renovation? It might be the producers, but it very well might be the restaurant.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:19 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,652,020 times
Hey, didn't you tell me to go there for my birthday last December?!

Old 06-07-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Hey, didn't you tell me to go there for my birthday last December?!
I did, and I stand by that recommendation. The food is excellent french bistro.

As near as I can tell, the TV series targets restaurants with good food, but somewhat dated decor. The menu items are often traditional, so the chef suggest some trendier items. The location of the targeted restaurants is often not the best. Fountain Hill is not most people's concept of where you go for fine dining.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 PM

Default Restaurant: Impossible

A 2 minute preview of an episode of a family restaurant near Reading. Episode aired in March of this year.

The show is as much about cross promoting TV stars from Home and Garden network.

Before and After Photos Maniaci's Italian Bistro published on food network website.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I did, and I stand by that recommendation. The food is excellent french bistro.

As near as I can tell, the TV series targets restaurants with good food, but somewhat dated decor. The menu items are often traditional, so the chef suggest some trendier items. The location of the targeted restaurants is often not the best. Fountain Hill is not most people's concept of where you go for fine dining.
Well, I will still try it.

Re: The italian restaurant, I have to say, I like the before photos better than the after photos. I can see how the new space attracts a certain clientele, but I expect a certain type of charm from Italian restaurants.

Old 06-09-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I have to say, I like the before photos better than the after photos. I can see how the new space attracts a certain clientele, but I expect a certain type of charm from Italian restaurants.
Consider the two dining places

BENNER STREET RESTAURANT & BAR @ 1028 BROADWAY, BETHLEHEM, PA
BOLETE @ 1740 Seidersville Rd Bethlehem, PA 18015

These places are roughly 2000 yards apart on the same street. Bolete has the option of a very upscale tasting menu @ $75 per person (+$50 for wine pairings), but they also do a considerable business where people are paying much less for the tavern menu. The marketing is much slicker, the owners are young and good looking, and there are 94 reviews on YELP.

Benner Street also offers quality French Bistro food. While it certainly doesn't have the more elaborate offerings of Bolete, it is decent quality food. Owners are middle aged and less beautiful. The website has grammatical errors and is considerably less slick. There are 6 reviews on YELP.

While the remodeled restaurant may lose some of it's quaint charm, I am sure exposure on national TV, and the fallout in the local media has to be a huge boost for business.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Consider the two dining places

BENNER STREET RESTAURANT & BAR @ 1028 BROADWAY, BETHLEHEM, PA
BOLETE @ 1740 Seidersville Rd Bethlehem, PA 18015

These places are roughly 2000 yards apart on the same street. Bolete has the option of a very upscale tasting menu @ $75 per person (+$50 for wine pairings), but they also do a considerable business where people are paying much less for the tavern menu. The marketing is much slicker, the owners are young and good looking, and there are 94 reviews on YELP.

Benner Street also offers quality French Bistro food. While it certainly doesn't have the more elaborate offerings of Bolete, it is decent quality food. Owners are middle aged and less beautiful. The website has grammatical errors and is considerably less slick. There are 6 reviews on YELP.

While the remodeled restaurant may lose some of it's quaint charm, I am sure exposure on national TV, and the fallout in the local media has to be a huge boost for business.
I'm sure it has. It just seems too... sterile, I guess. For me anyway. More like the small, authentic restaurants in Italy that are off the beaten path and not tourist traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley