Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 02:36 PM

3,859 posts, read 3,036,864 times

Advertisements

I must have been at the Allentown Fair 2 or 3 times in my entire life.
Do you go - sometimes, many times, regularly?
Did you ever work there? Did you enjoy it?
I guess that it will be here in about a month or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Do you go - sometimes, many times, regularly?
The Allentown Fair has been going every year since 1852 with a break in 1862 during the civil war. We used to go as kids, but I haven't been there in decades.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
We went a couple of times when we moved here years ago and our kids were young. Just not appealing any more.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:07 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,218,983 times
I may have gone there once or twice as a small child; I'm too young to remember going. My family didn't go to that fair because my father is absolutely obsessed with the Bloomsburg Fair (he grew up in Bloomsburg next to the fairgrounds) and he didn't want another fair "competing" with the Bloomsburg Fair.

At this point, in large part because I live outside the area (and because I think the idea of paying just to get into a fair is ridiculous), I'll probably never get to the Allentown Fair again. That's not a big deal to me though.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:38 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,036,864 times
The fair should be beginning soon.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:05 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,928,130 times
I live between the two but always opt for the West End Fair up in Brodheadsville instead. Much less expensive for a wonderful day/night out and so much to see, without the "pushy" crowds that Allentown can have.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Every Year as a kid and up through about 1970. Only once since, sometime in the early 80's when I drove back from NYC.
After age 16 the only real charm was the beer garden every night.

We talk about it every August but it never seems to happen. I guess hoochy-koochy girls are more of a draw for a teenager (if they still have them any more.)

Old 08-21-2013, 08:58 AM

178 posts, read 391,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Every Year as a kid and up through about 1970. Only once since, sometime in the early 80's when I drove back from NYC.
After age 16 the only real charm was the beer garden every night.

We talk about it every August but it never seems to happen. I guess hoochy-koochy girls are more of a draw for a teenager (if they still have them any more.)
Posts here are making this sound more like a just midway than a real fair. I remember when I was in MD going to the MD state fair once, it was basically nothing but a huge midway and a few 4H exhibits, I never went back.

To me 4H, local crafts and art, canning, animals, grange exhibits, good local food from granges, church's etc., community organization booths, commercial booths, live entertainment, plus yes a midway and more, are what a fair is.

If it's just a midway a rides, amusement parks are good for that, generally a better deal and safer.

Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times
I haven't been for a few years but one of the things the Allentown Fair does have going for it is good entertainment. This year they have John Mayer and Toby Keith! Allentown Fair - Home I for one, like the ag hall stuff more then the mid-way.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:05 AM

25,368 posts, read 36,956,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer Dave View Post
Posts here are making this sound more like a just midway than a real fair. I remember when I was in MD going to the MD state fair once, it was basically nothing but a huge midway and a few 4H exhibits, I never went back.

To me 4H, local crafts and art, canning, animals, grange exhibits, good local food from granges, church's etc., community organization booths, commercial booths, live entertainment, plus yes a midway and more, are what a fair is.

If it's just a midway a rides, amusement parks are good for that, generally a better deal and safer.
No, You got your animals and blue ribbon produce but you've got to look for them because nobody's making money off the real county fair stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley