Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 09:59 AM

37 posts, read 82,024 times

Advertisements

I live in the Southern Part of Monroe County and the commute isn't too bad (about 45 minutes exactly) to Allentown. The homes are a lot cheaper than the Lehigh Valley with a lot more property (and lower taxes), but I'm not sure you'll find anything grand for $150. Try searching: Kunkletown, Effort, Kresgeville, Saylorsburg, Sciota & Snydersville. Also if you want to jet down the turnpike to the Lehigh Valley, thats also very fast and the DOT keeps it quite clean in the winter..try Jim Thorpe (a historical town with cheaper prices)...Carbon County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 07:37 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
Couple, no kids, easy access to Allentown? Kaywin off Catasaqua road in Bethlehem?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:54 PM

611 posts, read 1,991,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
Couple, no kids, easy access to Allentown? Kaywin off Catasaqua road in Bethlehem?
L That area is low 200s.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,948 times
Default Lv

I can't help too much about where to find a cheap house.. as I have lived in the Lehigh Valley for 3 years, moving from New York & New Jersey. When I first moved in houses cost average 100-150K, now I see they are mostly 200-250K, although I know there are some probably in your range. I have no idea how the market will end. I would also advise to rent first so you can really check out the areas. The cities/townships, etc, do not have straight line shapes.. instead you can drive down one road and go from Whitehall, Castasauqua, Allentown, Bethlehem, back to Allentown in only 2 miles. Also sometimes the listed city/township doesn't really correspond to the actual neighborhood. For example Bethlehem township isn't near Bethlehem, but is close to Easton on Route 33.

In general, if you pick a more 'downtown' area you will be in a row house or double. Bethlehem, Whitehall, Emmaus I know are pretty nice, but more expensive, especially Bethlehem. Whitehall has a large amount of traffic because of the heavy shopping district and Route 145/MacArthur Road which goes through it all into Allentown. For more on traffic.. I think it really depends on your work schedule.. I use 476/PA Turnpike very rarely but I have experienced both heavy delays and open lanes, but I don't have experience during rush hour, I do hear a lot of accidents on the radio though.. I try to avoid it because it is a little narrow. Also narrow & 2 lanes is Route 22 from New Jersey past Allentown. I used to use 22 several times a day, when I worked 6-3 it was perfectly wonderful & no traffic, when I worked 9-6 it was very congested with sun glare. Most of this is people use 22 to get to 80 to the north and 78 to the south to get to NJ/NY. So if you are going the opposite direction of the 'madrush' of PA people working in NJ/NY it is usually a little better. [Also, Route 22 is a speedway. The limit is 55 but the majority use 70-85 and will do anything to get around you if you are slower, I know some people can't take that.] Of course when there is an accident the entire road is backed up both directions, and since 22 and 78 run parallel, whichever doesn't have an accident will get crowded with people trying to avoid it. Although this isn't much different to 78& other highways in NJ either.

Most of all I would recommend NOT moving to Allentown!! Try to find a suburb you can afford. The city of Allentown is congested and full of crime, I try to avoid it at all costs. The remaining sections of Allentown that are really nice are in the areas of Cedar Crest/North Whitehall, but I believe are very expensive.

Good Luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 01:39 PM

169 posts, read 661,245 times
I second the kaywin area in Bethlehem.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:09 PM

13 posts, read 64,117 times
I am sorry but I have to respond to the tripe that is being written about residing in Allentown. Granted there are alot of bad areas in Allentown, but there are also many nice sections as well. Unlike the person who has only lived in the lehigh valley for three years I have lived in Allentown for thirty-two years. A tremendous amount of change has occurred through out this time. To state that Allentown is congested and full of crime is accurate in some respects but does not describe the city as a whole. In my opinion Allentown has been invaded with many outsiders from the New York New Jersey area who feel a sense of entitlement and that the city should bow down to their whims. Many a criminal element have followed their relatives from these areas and are bringing the "congestion and criminal mentality" with them.
All I am saying is to the poster that is looking for a reasonable price for a home is not to completely dismiss Allentown. There are many fine homes available for sale in the "nicer" areas of the City of Allentown such as: Midway Manor & the Jerome Hill area in the eastside. mountainville area south of Emaus Ave in the southside, and the west end has always been a nice area. You make a neighborhood into what you put into it. Do your research which I am sure you will do. Drive around the areas at different times of the day, talk with the neighbors that are outside, contact the various neighborhood community associations.
Allentown has potential even though it has been assaulted by "outside" influences. Sorry for the rant but I am passionate for a positive change within Allentown.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:43 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,663,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo1617 View Post
I live in the Southern Part of Monroe County and the commute isn't too bad (about 45 minutes exactly) to Allentown. The homes are a lot cheaper than the Lehigh Valley with a lot more property (and lower taxes), but I'm not sure you'll find anything grand for $150. Try searching: Kunkletown, Effort, Kresgeville, Saylorsburg, Sciota & Snydersville. Also if you want to jet down the turnpike to the Lehigh Valley, thats also very fast and the DOT keeps it quite clean in the winter..try Jim Thorpe (a historical town with cheaper prices)...Carbon County.
There might be something in Jim Thorpe.....maybe a double home ( twin)
The homes in Kunklet/Effort/Kresge/etc. ( as above) are more costly then 150........Minimum might be $250 in those towns. A fixer-upper.
I'd look into lower Carbon County........or perhaps rent for awhile. But, rent just uses up funds you can put down on a home of your own.

Old 12-24-2007, 03:54 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,079,681 times
A town resident
I agree with you. Seems that old means bad, when in fact old might mean better built and not falling apart in twelve weeks. There are great parts of Allentown on the West side, the east side, on the mountain. Even the older rowhomes are gorgeous when they are brought back to life. My aunts lived at 13th and Chew until they died and those were great houses. I know their particular house is still in a family, and looks great, but the houses around them are in sad disrepair. Oh to be able to afford to buy one and fix it up. Three stories, 5 massive bedrooms, living,dining eat in kitchen and a full basement.

Old 12-26-2007, 07:53 AM

21 posts, read 78,073 times
I know someone who is also transferring for a new job and thus currently trying to sell a beautiful, 3 Bedroom, 2 Bath, 1,400 sq. ft. manufactured home set on .20 acre lot of leased land in a very pet-friendly all-age corporate owned community within Central Bucks County. Their current listed price is $59,900.00!!!!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:38 AM

13 posts, read 64,117 times
janeannwho
Correct! The quality of architecture in the homes is to be admired. I think what also affects the quality of the neighborhood is the ratio of owner occupied versus rental properties. In my opinion the higher the amount of owner occupied homes the better the neighborhood will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley