Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:03 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,532,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Rosenberger View Post
My wife was laughing at me as I told her the above. She's fine with Hulu Plus, and Amazon Prime, but she knows its kind of a game for me.
Your a lucky man if your wife let's you have your fun instead of berating you.
If there are enough of you, the corporations will have no choice but to invest money back into broadcast instead of cable. Can you imagine Monday Night Football coming back to ABC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 PM

Default Designated Marketing Areas

The three smallest of the six DMA's in Pennsylvania are ranked by number of TV households

584,870 Wilkes Barre-Scranton-Hztn
291,490 Johnstown-Altoona-St Colge
157,250 Erie

Each of these DMA's has an ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX affiliate and most of them have their other network affiliates like CW, MyNetworkTV .

The Lehigh Valley is certainly larger than Erie, and probably only a little smaller than Johnstown. While not being physically far from the antennas in Philadelphia or Wilkes Barre, they are out of range of most reasonable antennas.

The only thing that we have unique is our own PBS station (plus two independent stations).

I am not sure who was making these decisions in the 1950's and 1960's.

Now that AEREO was ruled illegal by the Supreme Court it seems that cable or these annoying antenna installation are is the only option available to most people. There is the hope that the Philadelphia stations will put repeaters on South Mountain, but they probably make more money from the cable companies.

Old 07-01-2014, 06:25 PM

13 posts, read 26,315 times
Well, I've moved the signal amplifier into the basement. Seems to work a bit better, but if I point the antenna far enough SW to pick up channel 10, I lose others like Ion.

I mounted the compact antenna on the outside North side of the house and pointed towards Scranton, but only get the 16's and 44's. The weird thing is, that when I had it on the other side of the house and turned it further west from it's SW position, I was getting 22 and 28, but now that it's pointed in the right direction, I don't get them at all... The antenna is within inches of the peak of the roof so I'm wondering if there's some interference there? Otherwise I'm stymied!

Maybe the antenna should be pointed slightly upwards towards Scranton?

Old 08-19-2014, 03:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
Default WYOU and WBRE

We live in Allentown city (relocated from W-B/Scranton) - We'd like to get WYOU and WBRE.
We have a roof top antenna that used to get those channels a few years ago - those signals were pretty good but not great.
Our antenna was down for a while but has now been repaired. We get WNEP 16 and WVIA 44 and they're clear. We also get quite a few other channels but we really only NEED WYOU and WBRE but not getting ANYTHING at all from either after the repair today. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. tia

Last edited by gemini901d; 08-19-2014 at 03:12 PM..

Old 08-20-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini901d View Post
We live in Allentown city (relocated from W-B/Scranton) - We'd like to get WYOU and WBRE.
We have a roof top antenna that used to get those channels a few years ago - those signals were pretty good but not great.
Our antenna was down for a while but has now been repaired. We get WNEP 16 and WVIA 44 and they're clear. We also get quite a few other channels but we really only NEED WYOU and WBRE but not getting ANYTHING at all from either after the repair today. Please let me know if anyone has suggestions. tia
All four stations are located on the same mountain, Pennobscot knob.

The only thing is that WNEP has a small repeater on South Mountain pointed at the heart of Allentown City. It is roughly on the opposite side of the Wilkes Barre stations.

It may be confusing you as to the direction the signals are coming from. Dial in 345 degrees (North North West)

Receive Power: -74 dBm
Compass Direction to Tower: N (345)
WNEP ABC 16-1 UHF
WVIA PBS 44-1 UHF
WBRE NBC 28-1 Hi-V
WYOU CBS 22-1 Hi-V

Old 10-16-2014, 06:39 PM

CBS is going to make it's channel available over the internet for $6 a month. So if you are not paying for cable and you want CBS in the lehigh valley (and can't get it on antenna) this might be fore you. NFL games not included!

The service is available in the 14 markets where CBS corporation owns and operates the broadcast station. Lehigh Valley is part of Philadelphia DMA.
  1. New York City, New York WCBS-TV 2 1941
  2. Los Angeles, California KCBS-TV 2 1951
  3. Chicago, Illinois WBBM-TV 2 1953
  4. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania KYW-TV 3 1995
  5. Fort Worth-Dallas, Texas KTVT 11 1999
  6. San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, California KPIX-TV 5 1995
  7. Boston, Massachusetts WBZ-TV 4 1995
    Washington -not available
    Atlanta -not available
    Houston -not available
    Phoenix -not available
  8. Detroit, Michigan WWJ-TV 62 1995
    Tampa -not available
    Seattle -not available
  9. Minneapolis-St. Paul WCCO-TV 4 1992
  10. Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Florida WFOR-TV 4 1989
  11. Denver, Colorado KCNC-TV 4 1995
    Orlando -not available
    Cleveland -not available
  12. Stockton-Sacramento-Modesto, California KOVR 13 2005
    St Louis - not available
  13. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania KDKA-TV 2 1995
  14. Baltimore, Maryland WJZ-TV 13 1995

Old 12-30-2014, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I also noticed that WTXF (Fox Philly) has application to put a translater on top of South Mountain (15,000 Watts). So that may begin broadcasting in future months.

If NBC feels the need to locate here as well, in order to have Telemundo compete with MundoFox then Lehigh Valley may finally be on their way to a full selection of broadcast channels (which larger cities have all had since 1948).
As I posted earlier, Fox Philly was building a translator on top of South Mountain. There was a post in today's morning call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Call 29 Dec 2014
TV lovers in the Lehigh Valley and beyond who watch shows, movies or other programming via antenna will be able to add more stations to their lineups.

Fox Television said Monday that residents of the Valley and elsewhere who get their TV via antenna will be able to tune to its Philadelphia Fox affiliate and two other Fox stations.

Thanks to a new over-the-air translator on South Mountain, viewers in Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton and other areas will have access to Fox on Channel 29.1. In addition, Fox's Movies! will be on Channel 29.2, and MundoFox will appear on Channel 29.3.
I get a bad signal by the ABE airport with rabbit ears. You may still need a larger antenna. Please post if you are using an antenna, and say where you live.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 12-30-2014 at 11:41 AM..

Old 01-07-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I am now getting channel 6 with no problem and channel 12 is coming in very nicely.
Are you still getting channel 6 (Philly WPVI)? There have been a lot of reception problems with this channel.

Old 01-23-2015, 07:58 PM

13 posts, read 26,315 times
Sorry, wifey had her knee replaced on Jan. 6th and I've been a bit busy (although she's coming along very well) and hadn't checked this site in a while. Yes, no real problems with channel 6 here. Occasional problems which I think are weather related, but I can't complain.

Looking forward to the channel 29 antenna going up on south mountain.

Best,

Bruce

Old 01-24-2015, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Looking forward to the channel 29 antenna going up on south mountain.
It seems to be operating right now. Fox Philly is in HD and two standard definition stations
29.1 Fox (HD)
29.2 Movies!
29.3 WPSJ-CD

This signal for this station is really being sent on channel 42 (UHF) but appears as the Virtual channel: 29 on your television.

The Fcc approved a system in the 1990's (PSIP) whereby TV stations could transmit on one channel, but the TV would display another one. This way some stations who had marketed a channel for decades would not have to explain why the are now using a different channel

Quote:
Yes, no real problems with channel 6 here. Occasional problems which I think are weather related, but I can't complain.
WPVI was extremely controversial. They have broadcast on channel 6 since 1947 (hence the roman numberal VI in the name). Starting in 1997 they broadcast digitally on channel 64 (although the PSIP table means the consumer still sees channel 6). The Fcc auctioned the frequency spectrum under channels 52-69 January 24, 2008 and WPVI stopped transmitting in June 2009 and returned digital transmissions to channel #6.

Most engineers strongly recommended that channels 2-6 not be used for digital broadcast since they were very noisy, subject to weather, and had poor penetration into homes. Britain stopped using all VHF channels completely as they are unsuitable for digital. There are only 40 full power TV stations in the entire USA that still broadcast on channels 2-6, but it is more suited to Montana, Nebraska, and maybe Vegas.

The Fcc decided against prohibiting broadcast on channels 2-6 because they had to find frequencies for these stations in crowded markets. Besides, the same reasons that make these channels unsuitable for digital broadcast means that the frequencies would be almost worthless if auctioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley