U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2014, 03:10 PM

13,585 posts, read 13,760,580 times

Advertisements

Cable One is not in the Lehigh Valley.

In a dispute with Viacom, they have dropped all 15 of their channels.
BET, Centric, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, MTV2, MTV Hits, Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., Nick Teen, Nick Toons, Spike, TV LAND, VH-1, and VH-1 Classic. I imagine that some parents have annoyed children on their hands.

In compensation they have added:
BBC America, Sprout, Investigation Discovery, the Blaze, Hallmark, National Geographic, TV One, and Sundance.

Although RCN provides Hallmark and National Geographic on their basic lineup, personally, I would be happy with BBC America and Sundance instead of Viacom channels.

I am sure that opinion may be shared by others over the age of 50.

What is your opinion both on this choice and the larger issue of being fed an arbitrary group of channels under the terms of "basic cable"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:53 AM

13,121 posts, read 31,476,914 times
I'm confused. Does this have anything to do with LV cable companies?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
I'm confused. Does this have anything to do with LV cable companies?
Service Electric is directly involved in the negotiations. I don't know about RCN, but they may be in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service Electric
Viacom’s demands would cost each subscriber at least $4 a month, noted Jack Capparell, general manager of Service Electric’s cable system in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania. Service Electric is a private, family owned cable business with 250,000 subscribers in central and northeastern Pennsylvania and northwestern New Jersey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viacom news release
We are offering Service Electric a double-digit discount off of our standard rate card. It is a better deal than HUNDREDS of other TV providers in the country have agreed to. We have been actively trying to get a deal done with Service Electric for months and they have refused to negotiate in any meaningful way. And now, on top of this, Service Electric is throwing out numbers which simply aren’t true. Our expiring deal with Service Electric is nearly five years old. In that time, we have been great partners and given Service Electric more channels, more on demand content and access to our content beyond the TV – at no additional cost. We don’t understand why Service Electric has chosen to negotiate in this manner. And now, as a result of their lack of interest in coming to a mutually beneficial agreement, you are at risk of losing 19 Viacom networks. We are serious about getting a deal done.
Cable One (who is not in the Valley) has simply thrown in the towel and cancelled the Viacom lineup. They put the aforementioned networks (BBCAmerica, Sundance, etc) which previously were PREMIER channels unto the basic lineup in compensation. They will not be giving refunds.

I am curious as to cable subscribers in the Valley what they will do if their cable pulls Viacom channels. (1) Shrug their shoulders,
(2) be happy with new channels, or
(3) cancel cable in favor of something else (Satellite, antenna, digital media, books).

Old 04-05-2014, 01:22 AM

Default ME-TV replaced with TUFF-TV

WFMZ has replaced ME-TV with TUFF-TV . Although KJWP (new distributors of ME-TV) is a Philadelphia area station and supposedly secured "must carry" status with local cable operators, I have not seen it in the Lehigh Valley.

Saturday night lineup on TUFF-TV
HIGHWAY TO FAME
OFF THE ROPES
RACELINE
WE LOVE IT! OUTDOORS
AUTO WARS
GLADIATORS OF THE CAGE
WRESTLING WAR CLASSICS
RINGSIDE BOXING

Old 04-27-2014, 11:52 AM

Default Netflix on cable set top box

RCN is one of three cable companies that have put Netflix on their TiVo set top boxes. If you don't already have Netflix, they are providing a free month ($8 per month).

It is not clear if the cable companies will permit people to purchase internet + Netflix only. On one hand it would cut into their revenue, on the other hand people can purchase Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, Western Digital, Silicon Home Run, Apple TV, or many brands of Smart DVD players and get Netflix. By selling you the system directly, at least RCN would get their set top box into the house and tempt you with Pay per View movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley