Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 07:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

Hi, We are a young family of five that currently live in NYC. Although we have moved around a bit(Mostly down south) we wound up back here last year. We miss the suburbs and cannot stand the high cost of living, sad quality of life for kids here, and lastly how my right to bear arms is stripped just by living in this city ( Had to throw that in lol ). PA has always been in our minds we've visited Allentown, Philadelphia, & the Poconos and really feel like its a place we want our kids to be raised. Now comes the tricky part. What towns do we look into? We've only visited the city on our trip so know nothing about the burbs. If anyone can give us any info on safe areas with good schools and within 30-35 mins from the city that would be greatly appreciated! We appreciate any info! Thanks so much in advance.

When are you moving? July 2014
Where are you coming from? Staten Island, NY
Why are you moving? Tired of NYC living
Where will you be working? CDL Driver
Have you been here yet? Yes briefly

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? 3/2 House. $1300-$1400 mthly

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married with 3 small children.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Yes definitely
Are you keeping a car? Yes 1
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Calm and quiet

What do you want to be closest to?
Work Yes
Shopping Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Yes
Nightlife No
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley. No

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Common ground is nice with some diversity if that makes any sense lol.

Phillies or Mets? Yankees lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:46 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
I think your limiting factor is 3 bedrooms in a safe area for $1,400. I searched Zillow (it was less than a minute, so I may have missed something), but the only place I saw that fits is Bethlehem Township. It's a nice area, but the High School is Bethlehem Township (since your kids are all young, it doesn't matter).

We use the daycare there (it's excellent) and I hear the elementary and middle schools are good as well.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:11 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,557,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecAmmNomad View Post
Work Yes
Shopping Yes
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.) Yes
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley. No
I assume the acronym for your work means Commercial Driver. If you need to be close to the interstates, then Bethlehem Township is a good choice.

You say you don't want to be near Bus stop, but Bethlehem Township has a large park and ride where you can take a bus into NYC. Generally if you are headed towards Staten Island it is easier to drive.

Bethlehem Township first, then Nazareth 2nd, and Hellertown 3rd. Nazareth and Hellertown have better school districts overall, but as previously mentioned it is more of an issue for high school.

You may want to purchase. Rentals are very high, and there are enough foreclosures that if you have good credit you may be better off.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:33 PM

24 posts, read 36,552 times
We have been searching for rentals and we also have 3 small children and are relocating, and are finding that there is very little out there, in general, and even worse in the price range of 1300-1400. Even townhomes seem to run higher. But we are focused on Hellertown and Coopersburg. I agree that Bethlehem and Allentown offer more rentals for less.

Old 05-15-2014, 06:41 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,903,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD2PA View Post
We have been searching for rentals and we also have 3 small children and are relocating, and are finding that there is very little out there, in general, and even worse in the price range of 1300-1400. Even townhomes seem to run higher. But we are focused on Hellertown and Coopersburg. I agree that Bethlehem and Allentown offer more rentals for less.
Just to clarify. Bethlehem is not Bethlehem Township. The 2 are distinct. Bethlehem Township is a suburb that has it's own school system, but shares the High School with Bethlehem. I don't live there, but it's a very nice area and I think you can get a rental for $1400 there.

Given your limited options, I'd focus there and then buy a place if you end up here for the long run.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Very good to know- Can you tell me the zip code for Bethlehem Township? I will add this to our rental search as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
Just to clarify. Bethlehem is not Bethlehem Township. The 2 are distinct. Bethlehem Township is a suburb that has it's own school system, but shares the High School with Bethlehem. I don't live there, but it's a very nice area and I think you can get a rental for $1400 there.

Given your limited options, I'd focus there and then buy a place if you end up here for the long run.

Old 05-15-2014, 11:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post

Um No.. There are Two Towns, Bethlehem Twp & Bethlehem City, But Only ONE School District.

Bethlehem City, Bethlehem Twp, Freemansburg, Fountain Hill & Hanover Twp. Make up the district.

Bethlehem Twp Does not have its own ZipCode, the USPS does not allocate zip codes on political boundaries.

But... Try 18017 18045 will get you narrowed. But you will need to check a map to see what city/town its in.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM

So they all feed to Bethlehem city schools?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:56 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
They feed the Bethlehem (Regional) school district .

Old 05-16-2014, 05:29 AM

1,193 posts, read 2,390,169 times
Bethlehem school district has two high schools - Freedom and Liberty. They are geographically fed. Liberty is in Bethlehem city proper; Freedom is in Bethlehem Township (near Route 33). Neither is particularly well-regarded, in comparison with the other school districts in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley