Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2014, 06:54 AM

4 posts, read 4,606 times

Advertisements

I’ve will be moving to Lehigh Valley for work (Lehigh University) in August. I’m married with two cats and currently am looking for recommendation for apartment complexes in the Lehigh Valley. I’ve had a look at the forums but do not find much reviews for apartment complexes and their neighborhoods. Places like apartmentratings are either populated with disgruntled tenants or what seem like staff reviews. Currently, we are looking for a 2Bed/2Bath apartment in a cat friendly complex with washer/dryer in unit within reasonable commute (~10miles/15-20 mins) to Lehigh U and close to basic services and shopping upto ~$1300. Some members have recommended Bethlehem Fields and Saucon View that seem interesting to consider though close to my upper price range. I would like to get an opinion on other complexes that I’m considering with emphasis on location, safety (currently I live in a gated community) and ease of commute to Lehigh U.

Meadows at Lehigh
Hills at Lehigh
Bridle Path Woods
Spring Garden Townhouse
Saucon View (Hellertown)
Bethlehem Fields (Hellertown)
Brooke at Peachtree Village (Whitehall)
Residencies at Willow Ridge (Northampton)
Condo in Southland Condominiums on Cheryl Drive
Summit Ridge (Allentown)
any other places that I should consider?

When are you moving? Late August
Where are you coming from? Louisiana
Why are you moving? Job
Where will you be working? Lehigh University
Have you been here yet? Just for Interview

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? prefer apartment/townhouse with balcony upto $1300 (or more if garage is included)
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? No preference

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married, no children
Do you prefer public or private schools? N/A
Do you have pets? Two cats
Do you want or need a yard? No preference
Are you keeping a car? Yes, two cars
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? calm and quiet but close with work, shopping, basic services

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Prefer within 10 miles of work, shopping and basic services
Near Bus stop? Please note that there is NO rail service in the Lehigh Valley. No preference

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? diverse neighborhood

Phillies or Mets? Neither
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2014, 12:25 PM

28 posts, read 65,174 times
I live at Saucon View. One of the good things is that you avoid the bridge traffic you get if you're coming from the north. Going via Mountain Drive will make your commute ten minutes long at pretty much any time of day. The area is pretty safe and you're really close to some basics in Hellertown.

The downside is that the price will be at the very high end of your range. Also, if you're not on the third floor you'll hear your upstairs neighbors walking around. I've never had an issue but I've been lucky.

Bethlehem Fields is a pretty new complex but one downside is that it's right next to the 78. You'll probably want to drive the long way to avoid the never ending construction and traffic jam by the on ramps and off ramps. I can't speak to the noise or potential pollution there.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 2,711 times
I live at the Northfield Apartments on Center St. in Bethlehem, which is owned by the same management as Bridle Path Woods and located 2-3 blocks away. The neighborhood itself is beautiful! These apartments are very spacious, HUGE closets (we have a 2bdrm and I'm not exaggerating about the size of these closets!), central air, plus every apartment has a balcony and storage in the basement. They are pet friendly and our gas range/heat/trash/water/parking spot/maintenance is included. The community is an older crowd, but very quiet and kept very clean! We are in our early 30's and looked at every apartment complex in LHV, this was the one we settled on because of how clean and spacious it was. Having utilities included was also a big plus. Once a week someone comes and cleans out the hallways and w/d closets for us, they're constantly on top of landscaping and decorate the community for the holidays!

We share our coin-op laundry with 3 other apartments, but it's located right outside your door in the hallway, we've never had an issue with sharing, just forget sometimes to get a roll of quarters. LOL There's a W/D closet on each floor for the 4 apartments, so you don't have to share with the entire building.

We've been here for about 3 and 1/2 years and lived in two apartments. We started off in a one bdrm and upgraded when a 2 bdrm became available to us. We pay around 1200, but I think it would be a little higher for newer residents. We are close to everything, a beautiful park around the corner and now we have access to the pool at Bridle Path as of this summer. We are very happy here and find it's a great place to live if you want to be in the middle of everything that LHV has to offer. It's also about a 10 min. drive from Lehigh. It's definitely worth stopping by to check them out! Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Old 07-27-2014, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
Not to derail the OP, I'm considering a move to this area for work. I would most likely rent and this apartment complex sounds like what I'm looking for. Only concerns are the lack of youth and my dog.. Are they ok with bigger dogs? I have an 80lb dog. also.. I'm a 34, single, male. I'd really like to be within walking distance of some quality bars with more of a professional crowd.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingstiff View Post
I live at Saucon View. One of the good things is that you avoid the bridge traffic you get if you're coming from the north. Going via Mountain Drive will make your commute ten minutes long at pretty much any time of day. The area is pretty safe and you're really close to some basics in Hellertown.

The downside is that the price will be at the very high end of your range. Also, if you're not on the third floor you'll hear your upstairs neighbors walking around. I've never had an issue but I've been lucky.

Bethlehem Fields is a pretty new complex but one downside is that it's right next to the 78. You'll probably want to drive the long way to avoid the never ending construction and traffic jam by the on ramps and off ramps. I can't speak to the noise or potential pollution there.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Thanks, unfortunately Saigon View has no availability for next month and they've asked me to have a look at one of their sister communities at Emmaus.

I live right next to I10, so I don't see much difference with being close to I78. The traffic is another thing.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danigirl17 View Post
I live at the Northfield Apartments on Center St. in Bethlehem, which is owned by the same management as Bridle Path Woods and located 2-3 blocks away. The neighborhood itself is beautiful! These apartments are very spacious, HUGE closets (we have a 2bdrm and I'm not exaggerating about the size of these closets!), central air, plus every apartment has a balcony and storage in the basement. They are pet friendly and our gas range/heat/trash/water/parking spot/maintenance is included. The community is an older crowd, but very quiet and kept very clean! We are in our early 30's and looked at every apartment complex in LHV, this was the one we settled on because of how clean and spacious it was. Having utilities included was also a big plus. Once a week someone comes and cleans out the hallways and w/d closets for us, they're constantly on top of landscaping and decorate the community for the holidays!

We share our coin-op laundry with 3 other apartments, but it's located right outside your door in the hallway, we've never had an issue with sharing, just forget sometimes to get a roll of quarters. LOL There's a W/D closet on each floor for the 4 apartments, so you don't have to share with the entire building.

We've been here for about 3 and 1/2 years and lived in two apartments. We started off in a one bdrm and upgraded when a 2 bdrm became available to us. We pay around 1200, but I think it would be a little higher for newer residents. We are close to everything, a beautiful park around the corner and now we have access to the pool at Bridle Path as of this summer. We are very happy here and find it's a great place to live if you want to be in the middle of everything that LHV has to offer. It's also about a 10 min. drive from Lehigh. It's definitely worth stopping by to check them out! Hope this helps and good luck to you!
Thanks, I did consider Northfield apts, but not having two baths was a deal breaker. With two cats, the second bath or evenhalf bath is their litter room. I'll keep your comments in mind if I have to reconsider.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convo View Post
Not to derail the OP, I'm considering a move to this area for work. I would most likely rent and this apartment complex sounds like what I'm looking for. Only concerns are the lack of youth and my dog.. Are they ok with bigger dogs? I have an 80lb dog. also.. I'm a 34, single, male. I'd really like to be within walking distance of some quality bars with more of a professional crowd.
In my search, I haven't come across any apt complex that would accept more than a 35lb dog. I would suggest calling the complexes to see if they allow a 80lb dog or look for home rentals

Old 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM

3 posts, read 2,711 times
@[SIZE=5]gatorinLV[/SIZE] They do have apartments here with 2 bathrooms, but it kind of eats into the closet space in the second bedroom. I've seen bigger dogs on the property lately. They just start accepting dogs about a year ago, so I would call and see what the weight limit is. I'm 34, as well. I was a bit nervous about the older residents and didn't want to be somewhere that we felt we had to be super quiet all the time (I like to play music, etc.), but they all seem to keep to themselves and some make more noise than us! lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley