U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2015, 08:06 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,951 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hi, Lehigh Valley!

I've been lurking and gathering info from you kind folks for a few months, as my husband and I are looking to move to Bethlehem, PA. (I've lived in both eastern and western PA, and we now live in the NJ/NYC area (including 3 NYC boroughs.) No kids: just 2 hard-working adults that do most of their daily activities by foot. ETA: Forgot to say: We both work from home, so proximity to getting things done is important, but commuting to job is not.

I've noticed around the Internet a lot of discussion of North Side vs. South Side Bethlehem, and West Side Allentown vs. the parts of downtown Allentown with crime issues, but few opinions or experiences about the West Side of Bethlehem/way East Side of Allentown (east of the Lehigh River).

I'd love to hear any thoughts about West Side Bethlehem in general, and whether it is considered a problem area due to its proximity to the crime issues of Allentown. It seems lovely and quiet, near bus routes, and pleasantly walkable to a grocery store (Giant on Union Blvd and Pennsylvania Ave), which is important to our circumstances. We're basically looking within a 1-mile radius of that store for daily convenience.

On that note, what about the way East Side of Allentown that borders Bethlehem near Giant? It, too, looks perfectly lovely and habitable as above, but it's hard to sort out healthy caution from paranoia -- and, as they say, I don't know what I don't know. Since it's a big area, let's say for walkability the area east of N. Kiowa Street and north of E. Washington Street. (Not hard and fast: just approximating by eyeball.)

[BTW, I've noted thoughts re: the area a bit more south and crime map info on http://www.city-data.com/forum/lehig...allentown.html . Thanks for these.]

We'll be exploring the area more in the next few weeks, but I would love some locals' opinions on livability, crime in the area, infrastructure, etc. West Side of Bethlehem/way East Side of Allentown: hidden gem, or hot mess?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-15-2015, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Allentown,Pa
18 posts, read 23,111 times
Reputation: 11
I live on the east side of Allentown just east of the Lehigh river. The east side is mostly quiet and there isn't that much crime. Of course there is some nuisance issues but I don't think it's that bad.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-15-2015, 05:08 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,951 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Kern View Post
I live on the east side of Allentown just east of the Lehigh river. The east side is mostly quiet and there isn't that much crime. Of course there is some nuisance issues but I don't think it's that bad.
Thanks so much for the info, Julian. Would you mind elaborating on the nuisance issues? If I guess, I might not be accurate.

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 07:03 AM
 
1,189 posts, read 2,650,069 times
Reputation: 929
The Midway Manor neighborhood in East Allentown is probably as good as it gets for that area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 01:22 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,951 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
The Midway Manor neighborhood in East Allentown is probably as good as it gets for that area.
Thanks very much, John. That's the East Allentown area I was thinking of, but didn't realize it had a particular name. Great to know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-16-2015, 05:13 PM
 
1,189 posts, read 2,650,069 times
Reputation: 929
Quote:
Originally Posted by stones-throw View Post
Thanks very much, John. That's the East Allentown area I was thinking of, but didn't realize it had a particular name. Great to know.
They have a community association - www.midwaymanor.org
Note that this mainly a social organization, not an HOA that has any control over peoples' property.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-17-2015, 09:24 AM
 
10,685 posts, read 11,540,193 times
Reputation: 5863
Quote:
Originally Posted by stones-throw View Post
I'd love to hear any thoughts about West Side Bethlehem in general, and whether it is considered a problem area due to its proximity to the crime issues of Allentown. It seems lovely and quiet, near bus routes, and pleasantly walkable to a grocery store (Giant on Union Blvd and Pennsylvania Ave), which is important to our circumstances. We're basically looking within a 1-mile radius of that store for daily convenience.
If you are buying I would stay on the Bethlehem side. Although there are not much difference in the quality of the homes, you are better off in the Bethlehem Area School District instead of Allentown Area School district. Even if you don't have children, it may play into the resale as many parents won't look in ASD.

The Bethlehem neighborhoods are called Rosemont, Rosemont Manor and Pinehurst Manor and Kaywin to the north. West Bethlehem used to be it's own borough, now it is a section of the City (roughly 20K people) who live in Lehigh County instead of Northampton County.

It was considered a very patrician neighborhood when it was developed after WWI. The Giant supermarket is standing on the site of an old country club. There are still some old mansions around there, mixed in with the tiny 1950's ranch homes.

The shopping center with the Giant is one of the oldest in the Valley, and it has fairly bargain priced stores. It is clean and safe. Another shopping center (Allentown Commons) on Hanover Avenue (Popeye's and Planet Fitness) is OK during the day, but it is the center of a lot of drug transactions at night.

Diamonz Nite Club 1913 W Broad St Bethlehem, PA 18018 is a well known gay club right on the border between the cities. Joe's Battery Shop across the street has well priced tires and good service.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2015, 02:39 PM
 
11 posts, read 24,951 times
Reputation: 11
Wonderful info. Thanks so much, PacoMartin!

And thank you for the link, JohnZ963.

You've all been incredibly helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2015, 12:59 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,539 times
Reputation: 10
Default West Bethlehem

I have lived here for a little over 4 years now.
I honestly believe it has been getting worse in the sense of crime, but it's still not as bad as most areas.
I read the police reports often and we have a big issue with cars and homes getting broken into around here. A co-worker of my husband's (who lives a block from us) had their home broken into while on vacation. The 7/11 2 blocks from here has been robbed at gun point so many times we have stopped getting food and coffee from there.
Honestly, we are looking into moving somewhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2015, 02:54 PM
 
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
28 posts, read 30,333 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faulkner18018 View Post
I have lived here for a little over 4 years now.
I honestly believe it has been getting worse in the sense of crime, but it's still not as bad as most areas.
I read the police reports often and we have a big issue with cars and homes getting broken into around here. A co-worker of my husband's (who lives a block from us) had their home broken into while on vacation. The 7/11 2 blocks from here has been robbed at gun point so many times we have stopped getting food and coffee from there.
Honestly, we are looking into moving somewhere else.
Truth
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top