Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM

83 posts, read 292,886 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Macungie in May. I am currently looking for a Roman Catholic Church. My zip code is 18062. I think the church closest to us is St. Thomas Moore in Allentown.

Does anyone know anything about it? Do you think this would be our parish?

thanks in advance,
Kathy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 12:48 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,182,193 times
I think St. Joseph The Worker in Orefield would be closer to you than St. Thomas Moore.
St. Joseph The Worker Parish - Orefield, PA

Here is the link for the Diocese of Allentown. You can do a parish search on the website.
The Diocese of Allentown

On second thought, if you are in Macungie Boro and not upper Macungie township. You might be closest to St. Ann's in Emmaus.

Old 01-13-2008, 05:51 PM

thanks for your help.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,065 times
Smile Welcome to the Lehigh Valley..what part of Macungie are you moving to?

I'm in Lower Macungie right behind the truck factory on rt 100 (The Reserves at Annandale). St Joseph the Worker in Orefield is about a half hour away from me (I have been there though, beautiful church and friendly people). However, St Anne's is right in Emmaus (never been there), which is very close (about 10 mins) as is St. Joseph's (not the worker) right up the mountain from me in Limeport (8 mins away), this is a very small church family but very friendly.

I have been going to St Thomas More in Allentown (about 20-25 minutes away depending on traffic). Nice church but very, very big. Huge congregation. We've been mostly happy there. Most likely our daughter will be baptized there in March.

BTW, there are really no assigned parishes here that I know of. When I lived in NJ, everyone knew what parish went with what area. Not so here. I guess if there was assigned parishes ours would be St Anne's because that zip is the closest and I know it goes by zip. Everyone just chooses a church and they go. It becomes their parish because they choose it to be, not because they fall within it's 'territory'.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by SirenSong71; 01-15-2008 at 06:26 AM.. Reason: add more info for the OP

Old 01-15-2008, 12:22 PM

yes that helps a lot. here in brooklyn we kind of fall into an area and that is your "assigned" church, so to speak. the church we were actually thinking of registering in was St. Thomas More. My middle son will be making his communion next year, so we will want to register them for religion on Sundays.

I will probably sound like an idiot when i say what doyou mean what part of macungie? we will be in the east penn school district. we are moving into the springridge development. i know we are only about 10 minutes or so from emmaus, maybe you could tell me what part it is.

Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 8,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirenSong71 View Post
I.

BTW, there are really no assigned parishes here that I know of.
I believe if you call the Chancery, they will tell you what Parish you are in.

St. Thomas More is the Mercedes of the Lehigh Valley. Little to no poor people I know of. St Joseph the worker is also big, not as rich. St. Anne's is the type of parish I grew up with, a nice congregation.

I have never been a member of any of these parishes, just attended masses there.

hope this helps

Old 01-15-2008, 01:59 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,889,151 times
you can also go to www dot masstimes dot org and look up roman catholic parishes by zip there

Old 01-16-2008, 08:23 AM

195 posts, read 1,168,065 times
Thumbs up Thanks doc!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedoctorisin View Post
I believe if you call the Chancery, they will tell you what Parish you are in.

St. Thomas More is the Mercedes of the Lehigh Valley. Little to no poor people I know of. St Joseph the worker is also big, not as rich. St. Anne's is the type of parish I grew up with, a nice congregation.

I have never been a member of any of these parishes, just attended masses there.

hope this helps
doc, thanks for your info! I appreciate it Esp about St Anne's since I've never been there. I agree with your assesment of St Thomas More, you couldn't be more correct. I got a little chuckle out of that...the 'mercedes' of the Lehigh Valley...lol...very true...

Old 07-10-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 7,666 times
Actually, if you are moving to Macungie, then, technically, you would belong to the territory of St. Ann's Church in Emmaus. St. Ann's is located between S. 5th and S. 6th Street in Emmaus, south of the railroad tracks. It is an active parish of about 1900 families. All of Emmaus, Alburtis, Macungie, and most of Lower Macungie are part of St. Ann's Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley