Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 07:34 PM

85 posts, read 354,057 times

Advertisements

Any input on these schools?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2008, 06:18 AM

102 posts, read 526,686 times
My D is a student at LCA. This is our first year...kindergarten. I have loved it and so has she. Her teacher and the aide are so loving and patient. I love that Christian principles are worked into all areas of learning not just a Bible class or chapel area. I feel my D at such a young age has grasped some basic tenants of respect, team work, obedience etc much better because of how they incorporate these things into their day. They have so much fun but learn such a tremendous amount. While it is not a huge school, they have weekly PE, Art, Music, Computers, Spanish and Library in addition to the normal classroom activities. They have chapel once weekly and have been doing lots of character work...like what's in your backpack themes like honesty, kindness, thankfulness. I have not had one problem or complaint. All the staff I've encountered are helpful. Parents in upper grades seem to be happy as well. It is a surprisingly diverse school as far as it is not just caucasians. There are many different Protestant faiths represented. It is not governed by one church. They do have uniforms with quite a few options. I wish that some things did not have to be purchased at Flynn and O'hara. They have a great swap shop at school. Like any private school there is fundraising but it is your choice to participate or not. It can help supplement a yearly parent involvement fee of $325 which can be worked off in a combo of service and sells or just simply paid. Oh, the school has excellent communication. They send home weekly words and our teacher sends weekly updates and a monthly calendar. Hope this isn't too rambling but I've got 3 kids bebopping around me!! They are going through a building program so one negative right now is no gym or playground. I was worried about this but they have activities for the kids outside so it doesn't seem to be a problem. They have a big open room to use for gym activities. They do have some athletic activities for the older kids like basketball and soccer. I think they do pretty well within their little league. Registration is starting. If you wold like anymore info just post or direct message me. Good Luck in finding the right fit for you!!! One more thing, you can pay tuition monthly which was a big help for me!!

Last edited by SouthernMomto3; 01-12-2008 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: add info

Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM

85 posts, read 354,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernMomto3 View Post
My D is a student at LCA. This is our first year...kindergarten. I have loved it and so has she. Her teacher and the aide are so loving and patient. I love that Christian principles are worked into all areas of learning not just a Bible class or chapel area. I feel my D at such a young age has grasped some basic tenants of respect, team work, obedience etc much better because of how they incorporate these things into their day. They have so much fun but learn such a tremendous amount. While it is not a huge school, they have weekly PE, Art, Music, Computers, Spanish and Library in addition to the normal classroom activities. They have chapel once weekly and have been doing lots of character work...like what's in your backpack themes like honesty, kindness, thankfulness. I have not had one problem or complaint. All the staff I've encountered are helpful. Parents in upper grades seem to be happy as well. It is a surprisingly diverse school as far as it is not just caucasians. There are many different Protestant faiths represented. It is not governed by one church. They do have uniforms with quite a few options. I wish that some things did not have to be purchased at Flynn and O'hara. They have a great swap shop at school. Like any private school there is fundraising but it is your choice to participate or not. It can help supplement a yearly parent involvement fee of $325 which can be worked off in a combo of service and sells or just simply paid. Oh, the school has excellent communication. They send home weekly words and our teacher sends weekly updates and a monthly calendar. Hope this isn't too rambling but I've got 3 kids bebopping around me!! They are going through a building program so one negative right now is no gym or playground. I was worried about this but they have activities for the kids outside so it doesn't seem to be a problem. They have a big open room to use for gym activities. They do have some athletic activities for the older kids like basketball and soccer. I think they do pretty well within their little league. Registration is starting. If you wold like anymore info just post or direct message me. Good Luck in finding the right fit for you!!! One more thing, you can pay tuition monthly which was a big help for me!!
Thank you so much for your sharing. I greatly appreciate it. Sounds like LCA is a great school.

Do you have any idea if foreigners have to pay more? We are Chinese from Singapore. My husband will be relocated to Allentown due to his job. We will be there for 1 to 2 years and our kids (4 yo and 8 yo) will need to attend school. Both of them have gone thru' Montessori. My 8yo is now in Primary 2 which I think is your Grade 2.

Are there enrichments classes which offer Chinese?

Thanks a heap for your help.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM

97 posts, read 430,967 times
Kmom, there are some Montessori schools in Allentown as well, if you want to stay with that method of education: Grace and Datzyk
http://www.city-data.com/forum/lehig...ontessori.html

Also, Northampton Community College offers Chinese
Chinese School

Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
kmom,
Unlike China, we don't charge more for foreigners. As I'm researching for our trip to China, I've found that foreigners are often charged a higher price there but that is not the case here. If you take a class at Northampton Community College but live in Lehigh County you will pay more. But the classes that theshan is referring to (I think!) are for adults to learn Chinese - is that what you're looking for??

Old 01-13-2008, 02:59 PM

97 posts, read 430,967 times
NCC actually has a Chinese School with many offerings for youth and adults:

LEHIGH VALLEY HUAXIA CHINESE SCHOOL
A branch of the largest Chinese school system in the United States. The school teaches the Pin-Yin system and simplified characters to students ages 3 through high school. This is the same system used by the United Nations and throughout the world. Prepares students for the SAT II - Chinese after Level 9.

Youth Language Classes
Sat, Aug 26-Dec 16, 9:30-11:30 AM
(no class Sep 2 & Nov 25)
Fee: $170 PS1, Chinese School
For kids ages 3 & 4 years old. Give your child an exposure to the Chinese language. Playing and learning will let the children start basic conversation and Chinese rhyme.
Reibman 128
Course Code: YTHA9468-01
Instructor: Chaoqun Hu
PS2, Chinese School
Continued class for young students ages 4 & 5 years of age. Through hands-on activities, your child will continue to develop their Chinese language skills, and learn the Chinese culture.
Reibman 140
Course Code: YTHA9469-01
Instructor: Yaling Yang
Pinyin, Chinese School
Students will learn the phonetic system, basic vocabulary, phrases, and dialogues with the characters and situations close to the children's life.
College Center 290
Course Code: YTHA9470-01
Instructor: Qun Xu
Level 1, Chinese School
Students continue to learn the frequently used Chinese characters, words, and basic sentences with a preliminary capability of listening, speaking, and reading. The textbook is the standard Chinese Level 1-1 (included).
College Center 234
Course Code: YTHA9471-01
Instructor: Bei Wang
http://www.northampton.edu/NR/rdonlyres/6F3E7179-FCEA-4FAD-B99E-E6C516563C59/0/New2.gif (broken link)MLP 1, Chinese School
The purpose of this course is for the beginner learning Chinese Language Art. The course provides opportunities to learn all four macro-skills, namely listening, speaking, reading, and writing. The course integrates 302 new words and basic Chinese grammar, enabling the student to read and write more than 30 short fairy tales which is based on these words and the grammar. It helps students who have Chinese background in building up and expanding their language knowledge and skills.
College Center 292
Course Code: YTHA9618-01
Level 2, Chinese School
This course is designed to build upon the skills and vocabulary learned in Level 1. Students will learn more words, sentences, and acquire additional skills in listening, speaking, and reading Chinese. The students will also be introduced to writing. The textbook is the standard Chinese Level 1-2 (included).
College Center 235
Course Code: YTHA9472-01
Instructor: Diana Zhou
http://www.northampton.edu/NR/rdonlyres/6F3E7179-FCEA-4FAD-B99E-E6C516563C59/0/New2.gif (broken link)MLP 2, Chinese School
Students who have completed 'ma li ping level1', or 'standard Chinese level 3', will learn to use 381 commonly used Chinese characters, 47 commonly used Chinese radical and 75 stories or poems. At this level, students will emphasize on recognizing the 381 commonly used Chinese characters by reading the stories or poems. Meanwhile, by retelling the stories or poems, students will enrich their ability to speak Chinese.
College Center 291
Course Code: YTHA9619-01
Level 3, Chinese School
This is the advanced level of the Chinese phonetic system. On completion of studying Level 3, the students will have learned over 2150 frequently used Chinese words, about 4200 terms and 300 basic sentences. In addition they will have a preliminary capability of listening, speaking, reading, and writing one or two paragraphs, simple letters, and keeping a diary. The textbook is the standard Chinese Level 1-3 (included).
College Center 233
Course Code: YTHA9473-01
Instructor: Qing Qian
Level 4, Chinese School
Develop your language skills and learn Chinese culture through Chinese Fairy Tales, stories, poems, etc. Practice reading, writing, and speaking Chinese. The textbook is the standard Chinese Level 2-1 (included).
College Center 271
Course Code: YTHA9474-01
Instructor: Yishen Lai
Level 5, Chinese School
For students who have completed level 4, the texts will have more enrichment contents. Learn Chinese history, literature, geography along with continued Chinese language development. The textbook is the standard Chinese Level 2-2 (included).
College Center 118
Course Code: YTHA9475-01
Instructor: Hai-Yan Gao
Level 6, Chinese School
For students who have completed level 5, the texts will have more enrichment contents and about 500 new words. The students will learn the Chinese history, literature and geography along with the Chinese language development. The textbook is the standard Chinese level 2-3 (included).
College Center 133
Course Code: YTHA9476-01
Instructor: Bei Lei Deng
Level 7, Chinese School
For students who have completed level 6, the texts will have more enrichment contents and about 500 new words. The students will learn the Chinese history, literature and geography along with the Chinese language development. The textbook is the standard Chinese level 2-3 (included).
College Center 191
Course Code: YTHA9515-01
Instructor: Dongdong Huang
Level 8, LVH Chinese School
Designed for students who have completed level 7, we will learn to use 167 commonly used Chinese characters, 467 commonly used words and 150 polysemous words. At this level, students will enrich their ability of reading skills by reading 'Chinese Reading Book' which contains 60 articles.
College Center 113
Course Code: YTHA9548-01
Instructor: Shaohui Huang
Level 9, LVH Chinese School
Designed for students who have completed level 8, we will continue to enrich their reading and writing skills. Students will be introduced to the Chinese modern literature. Chinese composition will be the main task for the class. The text books will be either the 'Chinese Level 17-20' by Ma Liping or the 'Standard Chinese L9'.
College Center 160
Course Code: YTHA9584-01
Instructor: Lijian Wang
Adult & Youth Language Classes
Sat, Aug 26-Dec 16, 9:30-11:30 AM
Intro Chinese
Designed for the English speaking student who has no experience with Chinese language but wishes to learn the Chinese culture and basic language skills including the Chinese phonetic system, characters, phrases, sentence structure and frequently used conversation.
College Center 190
Instructor: Zheng Tong
Individual
Course Code: YTHA9574-01
Fee: $170
Parent/Child
Course Code: YTHA9575-01
Fee: $200
Basic Chinese I
Designed for the English speaking student who has either completed Intro Chinese or has some experience with the Chinese Language. This course will provide more in depth coverage of the Chinese culture and basic language skills including the Chinese phonetic system, characters, phrases, sentence structure and frequently used conversation.
College Center 135
Instructor: Michael Huang
Individual
Course Code: YTHA9557-01
Parent/Child
Course Code: YTHA9558-01
Basic Chinese II
Designed for the English speaking student who has completed Basic Chinese I. This course will provide more in depth coverage of the Chinese culture and basic language skills including the Chinese phonetic system, characters, phrases, sentence structure and frequently used conversation.
College Center 134
Instructor: Nancy Collings
Individual
Course Code: YTHA9559-01
Parent/Child
Course Code: YTHA9560-01
Youth Chinese Culture Classes
Sat, Aug 26-Dec 16, 11:45 AM-12:30 PM
Fee: $55
Chinese Martial Art
Develop a balance of strength, flexibility, coordination, and power that provides a constant challenge to body and mind, leading to excellent discipline, good health, longevity and self-defense skills. For students seven years and older.
College Center West Plaza
Course Code: YTHY7556-01
Instructor: Xianming Li
Chinese Martial Art Continuation
A continuation in developing a balance of strength, flexibility, coordination, and power that provides a constant challenge to body and mind, leading to excellent discipline, good health, longevity and self-defense skills. For students who took Martial Arts 1.
College Center 220
Course Code: YTHY7644-01
Instructor: Willie Sun
Math Count
This course is designed to prepare students in, or going into, middle school for the National Mathcounts Competition held in the spring of every school year. Along with learning math concepts and gaining an immense amount of practice, students will learn tricks and techniques required to gain an edge in the competition. After competition, the course will also provide students going into high school with an in depth SAT and PSAT math preparation.
College Center 118
Course Code: YTHY8066-01
Instructor: Andrew Jiang
Youth Chorus
This course offers an organized approach to teaching music, action songs, and other musical activities that involve the participation of all children of ages six to thirteen.
Kopecek 101
Course Code: YTHY7974-01

Old 01-13-2008, 03:43 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Wow! Thanks for that info. I had no idea they offered so many classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley