Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 08:22 AM

61 posts, read 135,158 times

Advertisements

Dear Friends, I read some of the previous posts about the special ed programs offered at the districts in the area. I have 3 children who need various programs from more intensive ABA and Lifeskills to more academic special ed. All 3 are middle school aged. Since we have some varied needs, can anyone comment on which district(s) would serve the needs of a family like this? I am most concerned with my oldest who is high functioning autism but who is so in love with learning and math especially. He is so motivated and he is in a placement currently that is a poor fit. He has very few symptoms of autism but he has never really been given the opportunity academically. He does a tremendous amount of learning at home after school and on weekends and breaks. Thanks so much and any info will be tremendously appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 03:14 PM

331 posts, read 369,723 times
Any district will serve them well, and the ones with the more specialized needs will most likely deal with the IU, regardless of which district you live in.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:15 PM

Also, I'd suggest that you get in touch with his guidance counselor/case manager about getting into more appropriate classes, especially in math. I've had several whose only "non-contained" class was math and they usually tend to flourish if they are able to keep up.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:46 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
As mrknowitall says, All school districts will serve your kids and the intermediate units will help too. Carbon Lehigh Intermediate Unit / Overview Have they been given IEP's?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks Mrknowitall and Toobusytoday, we do have IEP's. I sent an email to both of the Intermediate units 20 and 21 and I got a very pleasant reply back from someone at the IU 20. He said he would call me to answer questions. I feel a bit more relaxed about it now. (Sigh). At first I was focusing on the East Penn but I will start to look into the districts in the Easton area since the IU was so helpful. Still looking for housing, but that's starting to come together. Also wanted to be close to a YMCA with an indoor pool.

Old 06-01-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv3kids View Post
Thanks Mrknowitall and Toobusytoday, we do have IEP's. I sent an email to both of the Intermediate units 20 and 21 and I got a very pleasant reply back from someone at the IU 20. He said he would call me to answer questions. I feel a bit more relaxed about it now. (Sigh). At first I was focusing on the East Penn but I will start to look into the districts in the Easton area since the IU was so helpful. Still looking for housing, but that's starting to come together. Also wanted to be close to a YMCA with an indoor pool.
Well, the only YMCA in Lehigh County is on 15th Street in Allentown, but I think there is also one in Easton, Bethlehem, and a brand new one just opened up in Pen Argyl ("Slate Belt" YMCA as it's called).

Not sure where you're moving from, but you could also keep in mind that IU20 also includes Monroe County, so you can look up that way too.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:10 PM

Wink Thanks my friend

Ok good to know about the new Y that opened up! Coming from New York State. Will check out the other county too! I thought if I lived in Lehigh County I would drive down to Quakertown for the Y down there.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 PM

East Penn and Parkland have their own pools in the schools. There are also community pools for use in the summer: Emmaus Aquatic Club : This is a year round indoor pool: Rodale Aquatic Center

In Center Valley there's a really nice indoor pool: Swim in Zone and a Community pool for the summer: Southern Lehigh Community Pool (SOLECO) - Home This one has a handicapped accessible entrance.

I wouldn't be put off by someone from IU 21 not getting back to you right away. This is the end of the year, and it's busy at all of the schools.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:15 PM

There's also community pools in Slatington and Northampton Borough - just two I thought of off the top of my head. They aren't free, though.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
There's also community pools in Slatington and Northampton Borough - just two I thought of off the top of my head. They aren't free, though.
Good point. None that I mentioned are free either, but then, neither is the YMCA.

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley