Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,167 times

Advertisements

Hello all, we currently live in central/on the border southern NJ and my husband is being transferred to Annandale NJ. This is great as it means he will have a job but we will most likely want to move closer to his work as it's 60 miles or better from where we live now. We have one daughter who will be a junior in high school in the fall, so good school is important. I'm very interested in the Nazareth area, seems to be what we would like and the schools are rated well. I'm a little concerned if we can afford a decent house there. Our max would probably be around $350,000. My husband is losing a little money with the transfer and we don't want to over extend ourselves. We would want 3 bedrooms, 2 to 2 1/2 baths, something not too old. My husband has done 100 year old houses before and doesn't care for the upkeep-plaster walls and all that jazz. Our current house is 20 years old, so we don't have to have new. I've looked on Realtor.com and the houses seem to be all over in price-sure it must have to do with specific areas. I'd welcome any other advice on towns, etc. I have looked a bit on the New Jersey side, but I don't know much about Warren county and I know we won't get much in Hunterdon. I think I would prefer Pa anyway. I have family there, but not specifically Lehigh Valley. Thanks in advance for reading if you've gotten this far-I appreciate any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 08:57 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,904,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisylouk View Post
Hello all, we currently live in central/on the border southern NJ and my husband is being transferred to Annandale NJ. This is great as it means he will have a job but we will most likely want to move closer to his work as it's 60 miles or better from where we live now. We have one daughter who will be a junior in high school in the fall, so good school is important. I'm very interested in the Nazareth area, seems to be what we would like and the schools are rated well. I'm a little concerned if we can afford a decent house there. Our max would probably be around $350,000. My husband is losing a little money with the transfer and we don't want to over extend ourselves. We would want 3 bedrooms, 2 to 2 1/2 baths, something not too old. My husband has done 100 year old houses before and doesn't care for the upkeep-plaster walls and all that jazz. Our current house is 20 years old, so we don't have to have new. I've looked on Realtor.com and the houses seem to be all over in price-sure it must have to do with specific areas. I'd welcome any other advice on towns, etc. I have looked a bit on the New Jersey side, but I don't know much about Warren county and I know we won't get much in Hunterdon. I think I would prefer Pa anyway. I have family there, but not specifically Lehigh Valley. Thanks in advance for reading if you've gotten this far-I appreciate any advice.
I work in NJ, but 15 miles or so east of Annandale (which is a lot of time during rush hour) and live in the NASD. Hunterdon county (from what I hear) has great schools and is affordable in NJ terms. I'd look there, if affordable.

The PA prices for houses that you see are probably a result of the school district. The Nazareth Area School District is the closest good school district to NJ on 78. Easton has nice pockets for sure, but the High School isn't the best. The same is true for Palmer and Bethlehem Township. That's why the Nazareth District tends to have higher priced homes (close to NJ border and good school district).

My suggestion is to look in the NASD or the Hunterdon Country district (note, the western part of the county goes to the Warren County Schools, and I don't know why).

Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,167 times
Thanks blazerj for the reply. I have done some looking in Hunterdon county, I think we're priced out of there for the most part, but I will keep an eye out. I looked a little around Easton, but was concerned about the high school. I guess I will concentrate on NASD which seemed the most appealing anyway and Hunterdon. We're a few months away from actual house hunting. My husband plans to bite the bullet and do the commute until we get our house sale ready. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley