U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-09-2008, 01:43 AM

9 posts, read 35,164 times
Smile Best places to live near Allentown?

My Wife & I, and 3 kids, are possibly relocating to Allentown area this Summer.Where are the nicer areas to live?We have heard good things about Center Valley,Nazareth,a few others.Originally from Long Island,NY but presently residing in Evans,GA.Looking for a home under $250K,good schools,low crime/drugs excellent quality of life type area.Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 10:41 AM

10,031 posts, read 15,378,233 times
Under $250 is going to mean a small house or a twin in the best school districts in the valley. Center Valley is in my school district - Southern Lehigh. It's not really a town per se but Coopersburg adjoins Center Valley and there are older houses in the borough there that would probably fit your budget. No bad sections at all and it's a nice walkable town. Check out SchoolMatters - Home for some comparisons.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:08 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,809,186 times
Look in areas in the Parkland or East Penn School district. In your price range, you could also look in the Whitehall-Coply School district, you will get more house for your money in that district.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:37 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,730,788 times
I am originally from Long Island as well, and we just moved our family of 5 to the Lehigh Valley in October - you will find many NY/NJ transplants around, so no one will make fun of your accent

We live in Lower Macungie in the East Penn School District, and so far, so good. Your price range is a little low for what I've seen on the market in my area, but don't go by me since I don't know the whole area that well yet.

Good luck with your move!

Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 PM

50 posts, read 137,335 times
You can't go wrong with either Parkland or East Penn. However there are not a lot of options for $250k detached in either of those districts. Center valley is also pretty decent, and possibly salisbury or saucon valley. With kids steer far clear of allentown school district. Catty, northampton, nazareth, are ok but smaller and have less resources than the big 2.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:07 AM

104 posts, read 281,146 times
When mentioning a move to the Lehigh Valley area you will always here about Parkland and East Penn, but there are other good districts with affordable housing in the Lehigh Valley area. Research the Dept. of Education website for the Academic Achievement reports for the most accurate information (I found the comparisons surprising). A change in superintendents, administration, and principals can always cause a change in the numbers. Narrow your search to the towns that you are interested in, take a walk around, talk to parents in those neighborhoods, find a realtor familiar with the area and you'll probably find exactly what you're looking for.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:47 AM

242 posts, read 543,294 times
Default Don't Rule these!

I know ewveryones first impression is for Parkland or East Penn. But there is affordable housing in the Whitehall and Nazareth community as well. I would check those out as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley