U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 12:16 AM

17 posts, read 33,211 times

Advertisements

I noticed the towns of Northampton and Catasauqua sit on a Norfolk Southern line that runs into the Alburtis/Emmaus area. I know there are a lot of trains that pass through Alburtis and Emmaus so my question is how many go through Northampton and Catasauqua on a daily basis?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 08:49 PM

331 posts, read 280,762 times
Passenger trains? 0. They are freight trains. No idea how many but it is several each day.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 PM

Okay, thanks. I was looking at a house right on the train tracks and was hoping it was a defunct line. I know that's not an option now.

Old 05-19-2017, 09:39 AM

113 posts, read 110,977 times
There's a track that runs parallel to the Lehigh River in Northampton, and freight trains ride on it. I live right by it and hear them when they go by. It's not a lot, to be honest, and it doesn't bother me. Northampton is a pretty nice place to live. It feels pretty safe and has not experienced a lot of visible deterioration, like in Allentown. In fact, sometimes I describe Northampton as being what Allentown was like 30 years ago.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:45 PM
Status: "Trump - excepting Jorgensen, the least of multiple evils" (set 12 days ago)

13,799 posts, read 8,477,134 times
The basic through (long-distance) schedule calls for two daily trains in each direction; weekday schedules appear to call for one or two more which run north to the Palmerton-Lehighton area to service local industries, and return to Allentown.

The majority of the long-haul traffic originates in points north of Wilkes-Barre/Scranton. (New England, Upstate New York, and Atlantic Canada) and Norfolk Sothern can get there via an alternate route through Harrisburg and Sunbury. They appear to use only one of the two routes if the other needs major maintenance or is closed by an accident. so on those occasions you might see fewer trains, or none at all; or at the opposite extreme, traffic could increase by 4=6 trains above the norm for a few days.

Old 05-22-2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKite View Post
There's a track that runs parallel to the Lehigh River in Northampton, and freight trains ride on it. I live right by it and hear them when they go by. It's not a lot, to be honest, and it doesn't bother me. Northampton is a pretty nice place to live. It feels pretty safe and has not experienced a lot of visible deterioration, like in Allentown. In fact, sometimes I describe Northampton as being what Allentown was like 30 years ago.
Thanks for your input. This house is literally within 15 feet of the track. I'd imagine most people get used to the noise but that's pushing it.

I get what you're saying about Allentown vs. Northampton. As a West-End Allentown resident now the three biggest factors for us wanting to leave are high property taxes, a desire for a single detached family home and off-street parking. We can hear literally everything going on at our neighbors and get to enjoy their cigarette smoke as well. And on-street parking is the worst, especially in winter. We're just tired of that.

But in West End Allentown's defense, it's very close to our choice of grocery store (including Wegman's within 5 mins) and many restaurants. Hospitals are even closer as are several large parks. I'm really going to miss being so close to those amenities.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:05 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,595,413 times
I cannot imagine a train actually operating anymore where there is an occupied house literally within 15 feet of the edge of the nearest rail. That pretty much goes against the operating rules of most modern day freight railroads.

Is the track overgrown with weeds and covered in debris? Does it look like a train passing through would be smacking against tree limbs overhanging the tracks? That's one clue that it's a line that hasn't operated in many years.

You may also consider looking on an aerial map (Google Earth, etc.) and try to follow where the rail goes to/comes from. There are numerous old "spur lines" around that served old manufacturing plants/industrial users that went away long ago.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:35 PM

10,582 posts, read 11,280,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplacezzz View Post
Thanks for your input. This house is literally within 15 feet of the track. I'd imagine most people get used to the noise but that's pushing it.
I would simply contact Real Estate from Norfolk Southern and ask if the track is for sale. If they say know maybe they will tell you how to access schedule
Real Estate Contacts | Contact NS Real Estate | Real Estate | Norfolk Southern

I see a little house on 21st and Canal behind the Roxy theater in Northampton that looks to be 25' from the tracks. But 15' seems awfully close. I think the right of way is 18'-19' so the house must almost bump the right of way for railroad.

Last edited by PacoMartin; 05-22-2017 at 07:43 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Okay, a bit of an exaggeration. I measured it at 50 feet away from the track. There are some houses under 30 ft. away with no trees or anything as a buffer. Anyway, it was a house on Railroad St and I'm fairly certain that's the active line in town. I wouldn't imagine that bothering me except for when I'm trying to sleep and a freight train comes barreling along.

Old 05-28-2017, 11:11 AM

113 posts, read 110,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkplacezzz View Post
I used to live in a small town in NJ a long time ago. A train track ran right down the center of the town's main drag. The apartment I lived in was only about 50 feet away (estimating--that was a long time ago). Believe it or not, I actually got used to the train sounds, despite their being so close. But your experience may vary.

But even apart from the noise factor, something else to consider is the value of the home. If you are planning to purchase the home, how much will the nearby rail activity affect the resale value in the long term?

Quote:
I get what you're saying about Allentown vs. Northampton. As a West-End Allentown resident now the three biggest factors for us wanting to leave are high property taxes, a desire for a single detached family home and off-street parking. We can hear literally everything going on at our neighbors and get to enjoy their cigarette smoke as well. And on-street parking is the worst, especially in winter. We're just tired of that.

But in West End Allentown's defense, it's very close to our choice of grocery store (including Wegman's within 5 mins) and many restaurants. Hospitals are even closer as are several large parks. I'm really going to miss being so close to those amenities.
What about somewhere close to West End Allentown, like Trexlertown, Emmaus, Fogelsville, Breinigsville, etc.?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley