U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2017, 06:44 PM

869 posts, read 480,363 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I am asking the same questions about a few different areas. Despite my username, the prospect of paying high property taxes in New Jersey for the rest of my life scares me, as does our likely next Governor who is a Goldman Sachs guy. So I have a few questions about the Lehigh Valley.

1. Are there any good areas in the Lehigh Valley to live for younger people, both singles and young families?

2. Are the public schools in the area decent?

3. I know Allentown is considered dangerous, but what are some areas with lower crime?

4. What do people do for fun in the Lehigh Valley, what is there to do?

5. Is there decent shopping in the area?

6. Is the area affordable?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 08:06 AM

2,829 posts, read 4,870,335 times
For questions 1 - 3, I'd say almost any of the towns will have good school districts, are nice for young families and are safe. If you look at the various school rating sites (or do a search here), there will be some discussion as to which is the "best", but almost all of the non-city school districts are rated well in the State of PA. Even the urban districts have some solid pockets of elementary and middle schools (e.g. Bethlehem Township), but you have to do your diligence.

We tend to do fun things that kids like (Crayola, parks, zoo, Farmer's Market...), but also Bethlehem, and parts of Easton and Allentown are nice for restaurants. The rest is all "generic" suburban stuff, but the LV does have some nice fairs/ festivals and there are the minor league baseball and hockey teams.

Shopping is spread out, and while the LV Mall and Promenade are the busiest, there are a bunch of huge shopping centers (basically look whereever a Target or Walmart is located and that will give you an idea of where the larger centers are. I'd also say the area is affordable, certainly more so than NJ, but it's not as affordable as Central PA.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:35 PM

1 posts, read 755 times
I agree with Blazerj above. I've lived in the LV in various places for my entire life (my age is secret), but when we had three kids at home, I looked for a place to live in the Nazareth SD. So, for 22 years, our house in Lower Nazareth Twp. has been a great command center for planning kids activities. College sports abound. Pro baseball and hockey are close.

Major league sports are an hour and a half east or south. The three nearby cities have Artsquest, Musikfest, Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom, as well as an impressive array of municipal parks. There's the State Theatre, museums, and community art functions. There's also the proximity to the Poconos or shore. The Downtowns in Bethlehem and Allentown are on the upswing. Bethlehem in particular has restored a lot of its 18th to early 20th century architecture; not on Main Street, but more and more on the Industrial Southside.

Sadly, crime exists. I suggest going on Trulia.com. It's a real estate listing accumulator that gives crime statistics for any neighborhood you pick on the map.

Although the real estate market is tight now (low inventory of homes and lots for sale), [url=http://listings.greaterlehighvalleyrealtors.com]Greater Lehigh Valley Realtors: Your Home Buyer Resource | GLVR[/url] has it all. You'll need time and patience to match your wants and needs with the properties available. Good luck!

Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 PM

226 posts, read 179,329 times
NJ has higher property taxes, but PA has yearly state car inspections and the state store system! Of course you can always run over to NJ to buy wine. Free Will is right about all the things to do with kids. And BlazerJ covered schools. You will never be bored. Plus they don't charge to get into parks in the summer in PA (yet).

Of course they built 78 so people could easily get back and forth from the LV to NJ/NY, so a lot of NJ people have moved to the Saucon Valley. There are a lot of new bigger homes, golf courses, and The Promanade shops there. Plus fancy car dealers. The suburban areas all around are fairly safe in a normal way, great for young families.

As far as young singles goes, are you looking for a nightlife/dating scene? Or just lots of restaurants and events for a young couple? Besides the Musicfest type of events, if you like the outdoors there is a lot of hiking and biking and rock climbing.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:21 PM

113 posts, read 111,311 times
Regarding areas with lower crime, I don't have solid statistics to back this up; I'm just going off of my personal experiences in certain places.

Generally, in Allentown, the farther west you go, the better off you are--more specifically, 19th St. and higher. The area gets very nice when you get out to the colleges (Cedar Crest and Muhlenberg) and out by Wegmans on Tilghman St.

Center City Allentown has been undergoing a revitalization in recent years, and so far it has, in fact, beautified a small stretch, namely, Hamilton St. roughly between 9th and 5th Streets. That's a small sliver, though, and once you step outside that narrow area, you venture into Allentown's less pretty areas. :-)

North side Bethlehem is definitely very nice; I would have no qualms living there. By "north side," I mean the area of Bethlehem north of the Lehigh River.

Consider also some of the Allentown suburbs, like Northampton, Catasauqua, Emmaus, etc. They all have a very small-town feel and are pretty safe.

Finally, I would not move here without a job lined up first, unless you are a health-care professional. ;-)

Old 06-29-2017, 05:19 PM

4,123 posts, read 8,019,793 times
If you have about 10,000 in savings you can move without a job. I'd move if I had 5, but that's another story. Emmaus is probably the best bet. Catasaqua is being overrun by the Allentown degenerates. It was better in the past. On the bus i hear the single mommas bragging about moving to Catty. Driving down the street with a friend we saw a crew of tattooed metal music t shirt wearing jabronies with a case of beer. So, a low class element is taking over Catty. I would not recommend it anymore as a viable option.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM

113 posts, read 111,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
If you have about 10,000 in savings you can move without a job. I'd move if I had 5, but that's another story. Emmaus is probably the best bet. Catasaqua is being overrun by the Allentown degenerates. It was better in the past. On the bus i hear the single mommas bragging about moving to Catty. Driving down the street with a friend we saw a crew of tattooed metal music t shirt wearing jabronies with a case of beer. So, a low class element is taking over Catty. I would not recommend it anymore as a viable option.
I didn't realize Catty was getting bad. I think the only part that I heard is bad is Front St. It's got to be better than center city Allentown, though. Still, if it is on a downward spiral, best to avoid it.

I live in Northampton and really have no complaints.

I kind of agree about Emmaus, though of course there are also towns just west of Allentown, like Trexlertown, Breinigsville, Fogelsville, etc.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:32 PM

4,123 posts, read 8,019,793 times
Catty is not terrible, but far from being a sanctuary. Then again nothing is anymore nor was it ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or