Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2018, 04:48 PM

151 posts, read 147,580 times

Advertisements

LV all day every day. Poconos has a lot of big city issues due to influx from NY. Offers little as far as employment and not much to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 12:56 PM

191 posts, read 394,129 times
I live in the Poconos in Stroudsburg but I work in different areas of Lehigh Valley.Both areas have there good and bad points.Lehigh Valley is a very built up region, 3 small city's s, the biggest being Allentown surrounded by a mix of suburban towns and factory towns, highways running everywhere.Its a great place for finding good paying jobs and affordable living, but very congested, lots of traffic , very busy area.The pocono region is a half hour to 45 minute drive from Lehigh Valley, into a more rural mountainous chain of towns.Its a main tourism hub of ski resorts, indoor waterparks, you name it.Its cheaper to live , but harder to find work here, and even though its not as congested, still has a lot of things to do.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:24 PM

14 posts, read 11,801 times
LV has LOTS more to do versus the Poconos. Most of my friends and co workers the live in the poconos commute to work in the LV area or do stuff in the valley.

LV is commutable to both NYC and Philadelphia - although NYC will be closer. 1 hour to NY and about 2 hours to Philly. It depends where in NJ you're planning to commute, but LV is closer to north Jersey (Clinton/Bridgewater..)

Schools are ok depending on the area you live in. There are other areas in the LV to consider such as Whitehall, Trexler, Macungie, and the small town charm of Hellertown.

Hellertown has good schools, parks, playgrounds, saucon rail trail, a handufl of independent small businesses on main street and highly walkable to some extent meaning sidewalks everywhere. Neighborhood of Hellertown is pretty safe and is very family friendly. They've got a super nice library that has the best storytimes and kids programs I've experienced. If you like a walkable, small town feel - look into Hellertown. It also has a park and ride bus service to takes you to NYC in 45minutes-1 hour.

There's also Lantabus servicing hellertown and you'd be so close going down town Bethlehem which is a really quiant, charming area with restaurants, library, moravian bookshop etc

Old 01-22-2018, 03:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary28 View Post
It also has a park and ride bus service to takes you to NYC in 45minutes-1 hour.
LOL. Clearly, you haven't ever taken the bus to NYC. I drove to a meeting in Jersey City last week and it took me 2.5 hours from the border of PA/ NJ to JC (no tunnel). It routinely takes 1 hour to go from the PA/ NJ border to 287 via 78.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:37 AM

232 posts, read 278,386 times
2 completely different vibes poconos is definitely choice for more quiet spot however we like mini very far suburbs for nyc and if somebody think about commute to nyc i wouldn't recommend that.lv around 3 cities a-b-e got more big city hassle.job market is in valley but landscape is bland .

Old 01-23-2018, 06:28 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
LV is commutable to both NYC and Philadelphia - although NYC will be closer. 1 hour to NY and about 2 hours to Philly.

I think you got those reversed Mary.

Old 01-23-2018, 08:56 PM

8 posts, read 11,143 times
Thanks for all of the input. I’m looking forward to making PA my new home.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
LV is commutable to both NYC and Philadelphia - although NYC will be closer. 1 hour to NY and about 2 hours to Philly.

Where you live in the Lehigh Valley will obviously make a difference on how close you are to NYC or Philadelphia. I live a mile or two from the Bucks County line and I can get to the Philadelphia airport in under an hour with minimal traffic. It’s abour an hour and a half to Manhattan. We tend to take the Bieber bus from Hellertown and it’s an hour from there- express to Port Authority. I like to take the train to Cc Philly and will do so via the train from Lansdale. It would be faster to drive direct but I like the train.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:15 PM

151 posts, read 147,580 times
LV just has so many advantages over the Poconos. Not to mention I would assume many LV folks could go as far as the outer Philly suburbs for work. Poconos doesn't have much from a job perspective. Seems like people either work at the Army Depot or commute to NYC. I know I would pick LV unless you are really into the woods and outdoors stuff the Poconos can offer you.

Old 01-24-2018, 03:19 PM

14 posts, read 11,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
LOL. Clearly, you haven't ever taken the bus to NYC. I drove to a meeting in Jersey City last week and it took me 2.5 hours from the border of PA/ NJ to JC (no tunnel). It routinely takes 1 hour to go from the PA/ NJ border to 287 via 78.

We visit relatives down philly and south jersey and it takes us about 2 hours from bethlehem. I used to commute to NY via bieber bus by park and ride behind wendy's Hellertown and usually I get there in about an hour :/ like toobusytoday has mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley