Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 02:49 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
Definitely not segregated in the forced sense. But segregated in the sense that generally only one race dominates the population. The word by definition means separated. I think there will always be affluent minorities willing to move into white dominant suburbs. For us, we value cultural and socio-economic diversity. Hence we aren't drawn to suburbs in the first place since you don't find socio-economic diversity there.
Two things, many of our small towns were settled over 200 years ago. They are small towns, not suburban sprawled houses. Second, I'd argue about the socio-economic diversity. The boroughs of many LV towns have row homes, trailer parks as well as developments with the typical two story colonials, huge homes on a few acres and farms. The cities are definitely lacking in the farm area.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 04:06 PM

566 posts, read 573,327 times
Yeah true. But like I said it's the combo of diversity that's lacking in small LV towns and suburbs. The towns have a mix of socio economic diversity but not racial diversity and the suburbs have neither.

Old 09-18-2018, 06:10 AM

There is for sure a lack of racial diversity in small towns and suburbs. I wish that was not true but as my favorite President said, "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:15 AM

409 posts, read 370,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Two things, many of our small towns were settled over 200 years ago. They are small towns, not suburban sprawled houses. Second, I'd argue about the socio-economic diversity. The boroughs of many LV towns have row homes, trailer parks as well as developments with the typical two story colonials, huge homes on a few acres and farms. The cities are definitely lacking in the farm area.
The age of the towns is irrelevant. For example, the town I grew up near (West Chester) was founded in 1762 and its downtown (with its fair share of minorities) shares the same school district as the surrounding suburbs. The same could be said for basically all the towns around Philadelphia. Hell, even boujie Media is 11% black (it's only 168 years old though *sarcasm*).

The difference is that the towns around Philadelphia actually have a fair-share of minorities. The towns around Allentown don't.

Old 09-18-2018, 11:41 AM

566 posts, read 573,327 times
Quote:
There is for sure a lack of racial diversity in small towns and suburbs. I wish that was not true but as my favorite President said, "Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are the change that we seek."

It goes both ways. White people don't move into predominantly minority areas. No one wants to be the pioneer. We certainly don't. We move where the diversity exists as do most people like us.

Old 09-18-2018, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
It goes both ways. White people don't move into predominantly minority areas. No one wants to be the pioneer. We certainly don't. We move where the diversity exists as do most people like us.
My theory is that areas become diverse by shifts to its housing market. Looking at postwar US history (from my white, millennial perspective):
  • After WW2, lots of new construction started due to our newfound prosperity. The new construction was mostly small row homes in any significant urban area. These were built for a middle class (read: white) family.
  • Some time around the late-70s / early-80s, the typically middle class (read: white) family upgraded to a standalone home. This was probably the result of the wife beginning to work, which required a 2nd car and a 2nd income letting the family afford more house.
  • After this "white flight" from the city to the suburbs, the inner-city row homes became affordable to minorities, which moved into the previously-white neighborhood. Some white people remained though.
  • Now, with (white) millennials being priced-out of the overpriced suburban market, some are moving back into the exact areas that were left in the 70s/80s. Otherwise, if they stay in the overpriced suburban market, all they can afford are newly-built townhouses (which aren't unlike the postwar rowhomes, just in a different setting).

The point I'm getting at is that individuals don't steer the area's dynamic, the dynamic of the area steers the individuals. As neighborhoods shift from one "type" to another, it all gets mixed-up. This is most evident in a dynamic area like New York City, where there used to be "certain neighborhoods" but now any given block has multiple races sharing it.

Which brings us to Lehigh Valley. Lehigh Valley is extremely stubborn when it comes to any change. This stubbornness not only leads to lack of "shaking things up", but it also reinforces antiquated attitudes about race in general.

Old 09-18-2018, 04:38 PM

Systemic racism as it affects housing is breathtaking and something not taught in schools, AFAIK. Our government made laws to prevent people of color getting loans, even veterans, when it was available to everyone else. They also allowed banks to discriminate. https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665...egated-america.

It happened, it was a wrong that cannot really be righted. We moved to our area for the schools and proximity to my husbands job. While we would have preferred a school district that was racially diverse, what was more important to me was a small school district in a small town where I felt our children would be nurtured and allowed to spread their wings. They sure did and all live in those very diverse areas that we're talking about. If racial diversity is a #1 priority then, yep, my town is not the right place. However, if you'd like to live in a place that is trying to become more diverse and inclusive, where difference is not tolerated, but celebrated, you might want to look at Southern Lehigh. We're trying.....

Realtors, See This.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:20 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,902,882 times
Quote:
Systemic racism as it affects housing is breathtaking and something not taught in schools, AFAIK. Our government made laws to prevent people of color getting loans, even veterans, when it was available to everyone else. They also allowed banks to discriminate. https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665...egated-america.

It happened, it was a wrong that cannot really be righted. We moved to our area for the schools and proximity to my husbands job. While we would have preferred a school district that was racially diverse, what was more important to me was a small school district in a small town where I felt our children would be nurtured and allowed to spread their wings. They sure did and all live in those very diverse areas that we're talking about. If racial diversity is a #1 priority then, yep, my town is not the right place. However, if you'd like to live in a place that is trying to become more diverse and inclusive, where difference is not tolerated, but celebrated, you might want to look at Southern Lehigh. We're trying.....
Really?

Quote:
Southern Lehigh High School students have been yelling the N-word in halls, calling black students "cotton pickers," calling lesbians "dykes" and drawing swastikas on school property, according to an email Principal Christine Siegfried recently sent to parents.
Email from principal: Southern Lehigh students used racist, homophobic slurs, raised arms in Hitler salute

Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 AM

Oh yeah. And this:
Saucon Valley family speaks about racism in schools - The Morning Call

And this (I know it's Quakertown, but close enough in my book):
Quakertown middle school students hurl racial slurs at cheerleaders - The Morning Call

The Lehigh Valley is 1 hour north of Philly and 1.5 hours west of NYC. The shadows of these cities make people in the Lehigh Valley think they're "country folk" and act like a bad caricature of what they assume Alabama is like. In reality, they're in a suburban bedroom community, and not nearly as sophisticated as they should be.

Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM

And as all reporting, if you read the article you'll see this was not some sort of KKK event and the majority of students were really mad that it happened. Since those events, the school, and the district has implemented diversity training for staff and students and a new HS Principal was hired. A student group was re-ignited in direct reaction to what happened with support from staff and administration: https://www.slsd.org/Page/12819

Realtors, See This.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley