U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2019, 05:45 PM

561 posts, read 419,688 times

Advertisements

Yes, NJ housing cost and property tax is too high. Not worth it.
What are zip codes in the valley have the best public schools and great-price SFH? Are there many Asian groceries stores there?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-23-2019 at 07:22 AM.. Reason: removed spaces for easier reading on mobile devices.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 06:42 AM

409 posts, read 220,957 times
Why are you interested in Lehigh Valley in particular? A poster mentioned you might be retiring, is that true? If so, there are quieter places in PA where your money can go farther than Lehigh Valley.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:13 AM

98 posts, read 63,457 times
If you're looking for a cheaper cost of living, choose the Lehigh Valley. But Clinton NJ is definitely the most polite of all the towns you listed. It's a small town, with the historic Red Mill, the most photographed building in NJ. You're also right on the south branch of the Raritan River, there's a waterfall, Plenty of festivals, you know who your neighbors are. I lived in nearby Flemington growing up, which is the same way, but quite a bit more traffic. Again, Hunterdon County (NJ in general) downfall is the skyhigh property taxes.

Phillipsburg is okay, but a lot less attractive, looks more run down, but there is plenty of shopping, and a tourist train excursion in the spring-fall. I wouldn't say the town is impolite, but it's not Mayberry. Clinton more fits the "Mayberry" bill.

Old 02-21-2019, 03:29 PM

not retiring. Traffic is congested here in Bergen county; I try to get a peaceful place to raise a family. Still 1.5 hrs away from NYC.

I have my own business; I can live anywhere as long as there is Internet. My spouse is a pharmacist in hospital; anyone knows how much salary level in Lehigh valley or West NJ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Why are you interested in Lehigh Valley in particular? A poster mentioned you might be retiring, is that true? If so, there are quieter places in PA where your money can go farther than Lehigh Valley.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-23-2019 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: removed spaces

Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 AM

12 posts, read 7,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewin888 View Post
not retiring.

traffic is congested here in Bergen county; I try to get a peaceful place to raise a family. Still 1.5 hrs away from NYC.

I have my own business; I can live anywhere as long as there is Internet. My spouse is a pharmacist in hospital; anyone knows how much salary level in Lehigh valley or West NJ?
I also work remotely but my husband works IT for the hospital so we moved here due to proximity to my/his family in NJ/NY but lower cost of living/taxes and we were able to afford a beautiful home out here. We've been here since Dec. 1 but love it so far. It's 1.5 hours to my family in Monmouth county and equal distance to his family near Kinnelon/North NJ. I'm not sure what a pharmacist salary is but he had two offers between here and Johns Hopkins in Baltimore and while JHU was paying higher, Lehigh Valley came close with great benefits and housing.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:17 AM

409 posts, read 220,957 times
Quote:
not retiring. My spouse is a pharmacist in hospital; anyone knows how much salary level in Lehigh valley or West NJ?
Glassdoor.com is pretty good for comparing salary-levels across different areas. In your case:
A retail pharmacist in Allentown, PA makes $126k/yr
A pharmacist in "New York City Area" makes $125/yr

Healthcare is Lehigh Valley's strongest industry, so I'm not surprised to hear that the market forces are pushing to towards this area. Not only does the area itself have an aging/unhealthy population, but lots of people from the surrounding areas come to Lehigh Valley for care.

For what it's worth, I got a $5k pay-increase when I moved from Allentown to Philly for a lateral-move in engineering, but Philly has more industry than Allentown. It all comes down to supply-and-demand.

Old 02-23-2019, 07:29 AM

12,921 posts, read 29,864,160 times
Quote:
Yes, NJ housing cost and property tax is too high. Not worth it.
What are zip codes in the valley have the best public schools and great-price SFH? Are there many Asian groceries stores there?
Please look through the links on the first posts on this forum for information about the area. The last time we moved we drew a circle on a map with the maximum commuting distance my husband wanted from his work and then investigated school districts within that area. We moved up from Delaware county and my husband works in Bucks, so I'm not real familiar with North Jersey cities or the towns between Bethlehem and NYC. We never really looked further North than where we are in Southern Lehigh county. School districts are tiny here in PA, but in general, the city schools are not as well funded and have performance issues. The towns surrounding the cities are generally actual small towns, founded hundreds of years ago, not housing tracts. Come visit and look around.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 02-23-2019, 01:02 PM

Thanks for the info.. It seems 3 cities has no good areas to live..

Which towns/neighborhoods are wealthy, diverse, decent in public schools?

Old 02-24-2019, 07:58 AM

584 posts, read 252,662 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info.. It seems 3 cities has no good areas to live..

Which towns/neighborhoods are wealthy, diverse, decent in public schools?
I grew up in the area, and still hear from dozens of people who live there. I can assure that they all live in "good areas". if you have reached the conclusion that there are "no good areas to live" in the three big cities, you are missing out on some beautiful neighborhoods and opportunities. 99% of the post industrial cities in this country are a mix of everything from sketchy to stunning neighborhoods. Some are high tax, high crime, and poor educational opportunity locations, some are the exact opposite. It takes a lot of effort on your part to find the one that will make you happy. If you dismiss opportunity with no real effort to educate yourself, it's your loss. Good people everywhere from College Hill in Easton, to the west end in Allentown, smirk when they hear outsiders talk about how awful their cities are.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 AM

2,834 posts, read 4,952,232 times
Clinton is in Hunterdon County, which has great schools and is pretty quiet and peaceful (except during commutes on 78 & 22).

The town itself is cute and enjoyable and the surrounding area is mostly farms/ neighborhoods. It’s similar to the suburban Lehigh Valley. The benefit of the LV is that it’s cheaper and the benefit of the Clinton area is that it’s closer to NYC. We looked for houses in both areas, but thought Clinton was a little too rural (although it depends on exactly where you are). There is a Walmart/ ShopRite plaza and not much else, until you go to Phillipsburg or Bridgewater (15-20!min in either direction), but again it depends on exactly where you are.

Phillipsburg is in Warren County and the schools are reportedly not great, but there are some nice neighborhoods in the area. The town of Phillipsburg is like if Easton never got nicer.

In terms of good school districts and wealthy areas in the LV, basically all of the suburban school districts are fine (roughly the same) and the city ones seem fine after talking to people that send their kids there, but require more parental involvement. (they get dinged on online reviews because of the socioeconomic status of the students).

I’d say the same for wealth. I’d be surprised to find a suburban town within a 15 min drive of A, B, or E that doesn’t have at least one $700+ neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley