U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 12:45 PM

309 posts, read 114,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murrica View Post
I will admit that some of my consideration of LV is purely financial and I assume the lower housing costs are parallel to lower other costs as well. In other words, my $ will go further in a smaller town further from the larger, more sought-after centers of industry.
Lehigh Valley has lower housing prices, for sure. Everything else costs exactly the same as the Philly area.

Quote:
As for weather, as long as it rarely gets below 20F, I'm good.
There are more bone-chilling days in Lehigh Valley. It's also windier there too. There are still bone chilling days in Philly, albeit less severe and less often.

Quote:
I tend to prefer older homes (1950s and earlier) so energy efficiency is a consideration.
Most houses in Lehigh Valley are 1970's or newer. Lehigh Valley didn't really get "built up" aside from the town/city centers until that point. Because of that, the housing options are either spartan rowhomes (and some small houses) from back in the old industrial days, or generic suburban houses built in the past few decades. If you want nice, older houses, there are way more in the Philadelphia area, as that area had wealth at the time (especially true on the Main Line).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 1,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Most houses in Lehigh Valley are 1970's or newer. Lehigh Valley didn't really get "built up" aside from the town/city centers until that point. Because of that, the housing options are either spartan rowhomes (and some small houses) from back in the old industrial days, or generic suburban houses built in the past few decades. If you want nice, older houses, there are way more in the Philadelphia area, as that area had wealth at the time (especially true on the Main Line).

Oddly enough, I'm finding most of the best housing in Allentown and close-in. I have found some beautiful older houses near Philly but much more expensive (Chestnut Hill, for example). Bryn Mawr is a nice area. True, a lot of the LV houses I'm finding are newer "old style" homes such as colonials with plastic columns and vinyl windows -- not my taste. But there are some nicer older houses too (West End), just not nearly as many as in the Philly area as you've said, but much more reasonably priced. There are some interesting choices in Bethlehem and on the way to the NJ state line along 78.

What surprises me is the lack of different styles. In the Seattle area you can find a bit of everything. In LV, it's much more homogeneous: tons of brick, colonials, a few splits and ranches (and even these have 'colonial' elements such as shutters, etc.), gables and dormers everywhere. It's a bit better toward Philly (Arts & Crafts, bungalows, prairie, '60s modern, Art Deco, etc.).

Old 07-14-2019, 05:59 PM

2,699 posts, read 4,431,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommin View Post
Love this line!

Thanks for such a well written, thorough post. The responses that followed helped me in my own search. (Well, some of them)
PA voted for Obama and Trump, so itís pretty 50/50 here.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:30 AM

361 posts, read 240,605 times
Utility costs on an older home will be very high. We averaged $550 a month for the year on our 1900 home. It was quite large at 3600 sq ft, but still...

Old 07-16-2019, 01:17 PM

12,637 posts, read 28,176,182 times
Frankly, I would not move here from Seattle, but that could be that I've only been a visitor to Seattle and really liked it. There seemed to be a lot more diversity there and tons of different food types. Public transportation here is really bad. When we've visited Seattle we used the light rail and buses daily to get just about anywhere, you can't do that anywhere in the LV. There are less homeless people here.

I think the winters are long and there can be weeks of bitter cold and power outages are not unheard of. I do disagree with the comment about house types. All of the towns surrounding the cities of Allentown, Bethlehem and Easton are a few hundred years old and you'll find homes built in the 1800's, ranch homes and Cape Cods from the '50's and yes, seas of two story colonials on the outskirts.

Re-reading what I've written makes it sound like I don't like living here, which is not true. I love it here and wouldn't move, but with the exception of housing costs, I would choose Seattle over the LV if I had another life. I would very much encourage the OP to come in March and give it a good look then.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-26-2019, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 89 times
Did not read any of the other posts, so as not to influence my own opinion.

I moved to South Allentown, from New York City, 6 years ago and "quiet" is an understatement for this area. There was an old saying, that they "pull in the streets" by 9 PM and that still holds true, to a degree.

I was OK here, the first 5 years, but I've had enough peace and quiet to last a lifetime and considering moving back to NYC, where I can walk everywhere, don't need a car and can carry on a decent conversation, with almost anyone I bump into. There is not much to do in this area (unless you enjoy agricultural fairs). I am not a drinker, so socializing in bars, is not an option.

I would suggest looking for a single family home (not the townhouses) in the Macungie, Lower Macungie Township area (a suburb of Allentown) and some areas of Emmaus, where it is peaceful, surrounded by trees and in the price range you are considering, you could buy 2 small mansions. Beautiful homes, some with acreage, start in the $250k range and up to $450k. Anything higher, may be more than you need.

Think hard before you move here. When you visit, especially in Autumn, you can easily fall in love with the mountains and Autumn foliage, but it wears thin after a few years and a good conversation, on the streets of NYC, seems to be worth its weight in gold, in comparison.

For some perspective, I am several years your senior, single and also planning on staying this way. Have a graduate degree and a retired chaplain. If life here is boring for a retired chaplain, imagine what it may be like for a secular.

P.S. Forgot to mention, restaurants here are equally boring...

Last edited by toobusytoday; 07-27-2019 at 06:12 PM.. Reason: added c to NY

Old 07-27-2019, 03:04 AM

3,189 posts, read 2,207,102 times
Restaurants are boring?
You go to a restaurant to eat and NOT to be entertained.

Last edited by toobusytoday; Today at 08:20 AM.. Reason: removed the rude comment

Old 07-29-2019, 11:36 AM

309 posts, read 114,810 times
Wow, I've just witnessed the most Lehigh Valley comment ever:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Restaurants are boring?
You go to a restaurant to eat and NOT to be entertained.
I completely agree with Eagles-Sparrow; almost all of the restaurants I've visited in the area are boring. The few that had any excitement were overpriced because they knew they were the only option; Cali Burrito (actually fair priced), Trapp Door, Melt, Maxim's 22, and The Shelby (borderline fair priced). Other than that, the restaurant scene is almost entirely mediocre italian food, bar food, chain restaurants, or chinese food (some of which is pretty good). There was only one pizza place in the area which I found to be any good.

For what it's worth, I could only stomach the area for 3-4 years, had an exit strategy at 5.5 years, and moved back to the Philly Suburbs at almost exactly 6 years.

That said, as more outsiders move into the area, they will bring excitement with them... eventually. I do consider Lehigh Valley to be in a good "buy low" moment, the only question is how long you have to hold.

Last edited by toobusytoday; Today at 08:20 AM..

Old 07-29-2019, 01:52 PM

3,189 posts, read 2,207,102 times
I'll take "Lehigh Valley comment" as a compliment.
Thank you for moving. We don't need snobs here.

Old Today, 09:22 AM

4,055 posts, read 7,694,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I'll take "Lehigh Valley comment" as a compliment.
Thank you for moving. We don't need snobs here.

He knows what he's talking about. He's a voice of reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or