Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 12:07 PM

148 posts, read 538,487 times

Advertisements

Also, which area has the lower taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 01:14 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
I am not entirely sure, but from what I can tell by talking to people, etc., I think housing is more expensive in Lower Macungie. As for taxes, I'm not sure, I think it's probably the same since the mill rate is the same - again, no expert here.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:37 PM

39 posts, read 220,191 times
Opinion based...

My husband and I were in between Upper and Lower Macungie. We looked for about 6 months. The houses were basically the same price regardless of the area, but the taxes were slightly less in Upper Macungie.

Also, if you drive around Lower Macungie there are signs posted protesting another tax hike.

Hope this helps!

Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM

Thanks! iamcoko which did you choose? I mean the schools are great in either location so I don't know where to look. I will probably look in both areas and if I find the perfect house I guess that will be my decision.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:39 PM

39 posts, read 220,191 times
We ended up in Upper M, but more because we found the "perfect house" and appreciated the slightly less taxes. We did not see the signs about increasing Lower M taxes until a month later, so we are even happier with our decision.

Lower M seems to be growing at an even more rapid rate than Upper M. Lower M, however, has a more neighborhood feel.

Also, I was told that Lower M will also be building a new elementary and middle school in the near future, which must account for the looming tax increase.

In the end, you cannot go wrong with either area! Good luck.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 AM

242 posts, read 836,994 times
Default Upper vs. Lower

2kidsimdone,

Often times the determining factor of where you get more house for your money is your price range (meaning for $200,000 where do I get more house for my money), but since I am flying a little blind here but I'll try to give an illustration.

When you look at AVAILABLE homes between 1750 & 2200 sq ft. min 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. Right now Lower Macungie has a slight edge with 100 more sq ft with home priced between $249000 - $259000. It a very slight difference and again that is only in this sq feet comparing this price range. To really get a good idea you would need someone to apply your price range and desired sq ft.

Hope this helps!
Jeff

Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 AM

Jeff-

Our price range is up to $400,000. We would like 4 bedrooms, 2 1/2 baths with close to 3000 square feet.

Thanks!

Old 06-14-2008, 07:19 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamcoko View Post
Lower M, however, has a more neighborhood feel.
This is very true!

We are in Lower Macungie, and I've heard it many times that the communities in Lower Macungie do more in terms of nerighborhood activites, etc.

There are lots of SAHMs in Lower Macungie, so for me, it's been great having lots of people around during the day with kids.

I have a friend who lives in Upper Macungie, and she absolutely sees the difference. Her son goes to preschool with my son, and I hear all the time about how nice it is in Lower macungie that the developments do so much.

Now, I've also heard that the people in Lower Macungie are a bit snobbier and into "keeping up with the Jones" - this could be true, but I think a littl healthy competition amongst neighbors can't be a bad thing in terms of keeping the houses well maintained.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:45 AM

242 posts, read 836,994 times
Default This sounds like double talk but its not

2kidsimdone,

After reviewing the current market with your preferences. Again as it stands right now, Lower Macungie is giving more HOUSE for your money. this can be LM has more "competition" of homes that are on the market.

With all this said, it is not an overwhelming difference. So close that I would strongly consider the available homes in Upper Macungie because there appears to be more yard with these homes (not sure if that is a + or - in your list of needs).

So I know you were looking for a clear cut answer but this is the best I could come up with.

Thanks
Jeff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley