Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 08:20 AM

99 posts, read 337,453 times

Advertisements

I am involved in researching moving to Pa from NJ. The taxes in NJ are getting ridiculous ( I am paying $16K a yr.). I was pretty much sold on Bethlehem until I stumbled upon College Hill in Easton. The houses are lovely, and you can get so much more house for the $ than in Bethlehem. Like everyone else, I have heard all the horror stories about Easton, but I can't imagine how the city won't go through a comeback. Any advice would be appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2008, 09:33 AM

15 posts, read 46,297 times
I just wanted to chime in and let you know that I've lived in Forks Township for about a year now and absolutely love it. I am so glad we decided to move here. Everyone I have met has been so friendly and welcoming. The College Hill area is beautiful and peaceful. I love the older, well kept homes there. Though I do have some concerns about the Easton school system past elementary school (I have 2 children not yet in school), private school is always an option.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:49 AM

15 posts, read 46,297 times
I want to add that I would also feel the same way about the Bethlehem school district had I moved there. The test scores in both districts leave much to be desired. I too observed the houses there to cost significantly more. And it was a farther drive to my hubby's work in NJ. We looked all over for many months before deciding on Forks. I loved the areas of Bethlehem that we looked at houses in, but it just was not a good fit for us overall.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:00 AM

Default school districts,etc.

Many thanks for your quick reply. Luckily, when we move our last child will be out of high school and off to college. We are very fortunate not to have to concern ourselves with school districts anymore!

Old 06-24-2008, 11:35 AM

242 posts, read 835,417 times
College Heights is a very scenic area with homes of great value at the moment. Good Luck with your house hunting, but I don't think you can go wrong with either of these areas of great character.

Thanks
Jeff

Old 06-25-2008, 05:23 AM

619 posts, read 2,195,781 times
If schools aren't an issue for you, then I'd definitely consider College Hill. I LOVE those homes - such character and beauty. I know it's cliche, but they really don't build them like that anymore! Oh the porches and windows!

I would keep in mind that since they are single family homes, the buyer you try to sell to might care quite a bit about schools - so you would have a limited resale market. Just a thought...

Old 06-25-2008, 08:28 AM

Default resale value in Easton

We are not concerned with resale value. It might sound strange, but my husband will be retiring and once we relocate to PA, that will be it! We will leave the house to our kids and they can decide what to do with it. There seems to be some community interest in restoring the downtown, so I am hoping that when the time comes ( in a few decades) Easton will be a bit more like Bethlehem. We certainly haven't ruled out Bethlehem, either. It's a tough call.... Thanks for all the good advice! BTW, we are spending Sat. looking at houses in College Hill. Should be interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley