Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2008, 02:39 PM

11 posts, read 31,291 times

Advertisements

Hi!
I've posted previously and am curious from reading the postings about the crime in the Lehigh Valley area about the safest cities in the Lehigh Valley. Can anyone give me some tips about the safest to raise little one's. My husband and I are relocating next year to his next duty station for the Marine Corps and now reading all the postings about the crime problems...not too sure I feel good about moving there now. We've moved here and there over the course of my husbands career in the Marine Corps, but we have always been careful about where we live because safety is important to me and to my husband for us as a family. Are the local police and politicians doing anything about the crime problem? We live on base at Camp Pendleton in San Diego so I have the security of knowing we are safe at night. That and well, my husband's a Marine and I feel totally safe when he is home!! What do you think of Lower Macungie and Upper Macungie? Thanks for any insight?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 03:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I can't provide a link because the sites I found are competing ones with city-data but if you do a google search with the keywords, "Macungie PA, crime" you'll see that the crime is below the national average. Really, in any of the small towns around here the crime that you read and hear about is petty stuff like shoplifting, smashing mailboxes, stealing things from cars that are unlocked. If you hear about a homicide in the towns it's a REALLY big deal. Once you know your neighbors too, you will feel safer. Oh, and get a dog. No one would get by my doggie.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:03 PM

11 posts, read 31,291 times
Thanks toobusytoday!! We are excited to move and see another part of the country. I've notice no matter where you go today, you always have your 10% that are bad and try and disrupt the lives of those around them. I just know that safety and my children's safety is so important. People would think the city of Oceanside which is right out the front and back gates of Pendleton was a nice area, but it has a LOT of gang problems and I'll be happy to leave this area. Not just anyone can get on the Marine base we live on, so I will sure miss that security. I like the idea of a dog. I know my husband would be happy to get one!!

Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 AM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times
Macungi is not really a city nor much of a town. Bethlehem is safe downtown and of Easton, Allentown and Bethlehem the only one safe to walk through late at night. If you want to see a very quaint and vibrant downtown walk down Main street in Bethlehem on a saturday afternoon. Lot's of nice shops and places to sit out on the side walk and get a meal.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:16 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Macungie is indeed a town. Have you visited, Markas? http://www.macungie.pa.us/ Bethlehem is a city, as are Allentown and Easton. Perhaps this is just a matter of perspective. Macungie was settled about two hundred years ago and the area surrounding it is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Don't get me wrong, I love Bethlehem and enjoy shopping and going there for dinner, Musikfest, etc, but it IS a city and if one is looking for a safe small town, that's not it.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:15 PM

88 posts, read 273,178 times
We recently moved to Texas from PA. I lived in Bethlehem, up the road from Main Street, and in Upper Macungie, almost on the border of Lower Macungie. Our home in Upper Macungie had an Allentown address. Both areas are very different and both are nice places to raise a family.

I felt so safe in Upper Macungie that I felt we were living in a bubble. My children really never witnessed anything bad and are still kind of innocent - almost ignorant for 12 and 13 year olds. All my friends sent their children to Parkland Schools and are very happy there. My children went to Catholic School so I can't give any first had experience of the public schools. I would say 98% of the kids I met from Parkland were polite and well-mannered children.

Please be assured that you will be able to find a nice, safe environment in the Lehigh Valley. I didn't always like PA, being a Texan through and through, but I have to admit the Lehigh Valley was a very nice place for my children to spend their early childhood. We were lucky to have lived there. Really.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:14 AM

611 posts, read 1,990,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Macungie is indeed a town. Have you visited, Markas? http://www.macungie.pa.us/ Bethlehem is a city, as are Allentown and Easton. Perhaps this is just a matter of perspective. Macungie was settled about two hundred years ago and the area surrounding it is one of the fastest growing areas in the state. Don't get me wrong, I love Bethlehem and enjoy shopping and going there for dinner, Musikfest, etc, but it IS a city and if one is looking for a safe small town, that's not it.
I said not much of a town, meaning a very tiny downtown. Since the OP asked for the safest cities I just wanted to clarify. Macungie is growing due to huge subdivisions, bedroom communities. The schools are good and it's a safe area but when I think of town I imagine lot's of quaint shops and a busy Main St.

Old 08-13-2009, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 5,253 times
Default I'm right behind you!

I am married to a Navy Corpsman Chief and we might be transferring out there in October. What did you find in your move? I am looking at homes in Pottsville. I want SAFE, reasonable, affordable and a home with a big enough yard for 2 little boys to play. When I look closer, I find large houses, but no yards.

If you have any thoughts I'd live to get them! Look forward to maybe meeting you soon as my husband will be supporting the Marines!

MrsDocNavyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCofficerswife View Post
Hi!
I've posted previously and am curious from reading the postings about the crime in the Lehigh Valley area about the safest cities in the Lehigh Valley. Can anyone give me some tips about the safest to raise little one's. My husband and I are relocating next year to his next duty station for the Marine Corps and now reading all the postings about the crime problems...not too sure I feel good about moving there now. We've moved here and there over the course of my husbands career in the Marine Corps, but we have always been careful about where we live because safety is important to me and to my husband for us as a family. Are the local police and politicians doing anything about the crime problem? We live on base at Camp Pendleton in San Diego so I have the security of knowing we are safe at night. That and well, my husband's a Marine and I feel totally safe when he is home!! What do you think of Lower Macungie and Upper Macungie? Thanks for any insight?!

Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 25,530 times
Hi!

First...hello! Is your husband possibly going to the Navy/Marine Corps Reserve center in Allentown? My husband is the I&I for Det 3 MTM Company at the reserve center in Allentown. Is your husband possibly replacing Chief Gomez? Sorry for so many questions, but it peaked my husband and I's interest with your inquiry. We just got here at the end of June and moved to Bethlehem Township. We love it. I've not heard of what is or isn't safe in Pottsville. If you are interested in a specific area I can do my best to find out for you. Safety was huge for us because we have a 20 month old son and I wanted to feel safe. We lived on base at Camp Pendleton CA so safety and convenience were number one to me as I'm sure it is for you too. Where are you guys coming from?

Debbie

Old 08-19-2009, 01:26 PM

50 posts, read 189,268 times
Bethlehem is the best place in the Lehigh Valley. You get the city/downtown and safe neighboring suburbs (Bethlehem Township). The township is boring though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley