U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-18-2008, 01:19 PM

46 posts, read 192,363 times

Advertisements

I haven't been on 222 North through Trexlertown since the completion of the bypass. I'm taking DD and friends to Dorneypark tomorrow and wanted to get an idea of what I can expect on the drive. On our past few trips we've taken Schantz Rd. up to US100/I78 and avoided the area and the construction so I don't know what to expect when I get there.

Does the new 222 bypass Trexlertown? I looked at the map on Google, but it didn't give a clear indication that it went around, looked like the old 222 that goes through town.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 PM

10,394 posts, read 16,679,524 times
k70, I was hoping one of our Macungie locals would pop in to answer your question because while I'm pretty sure that, yes, it does by-pass Trexlertown, I'm not totally sure. I'm also a backroad kind of person so if I'm going west of Allentown, I end up past that intersection because I come in through Macungie and cut over. Have fun at Dorney! My son went a few weeks ago on a Thursday and found no lines!

Old 08-19-2008, 04:26 PM

46 posts, read 192,363 times
I found out first hand today.....222 does go around Trexlertown. It is posted 45 mph that whole stretch, even though it's a 4-lane roadway. There are two or three major intersections with traffic signals, and I'm betting that if the speed limit was 55 mph it would be really dangerous.

Old 08-20-2008, 01:36 PM

463 posts, read 963,341 times
Arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! Having lived in Kutztown from 2004-2007 and having commuted to Foglesville everyday for work for most of that time (not to mention going to the Lehigh Valley for anything that I couldn't find at the Kutztown Weis), I can say that Rt 222, Shantz Rd., and Route 100 between 222 and I-78 have given me more than a few premature grey hairs. The setup of the roads, the traffic, the drivers----argh!!!

Like Bucks County, the developers of western Lehigh County still try to hold onto the fantasy that it is a "rural" area and do not update the infastructure to handle the now-urban traffic the area is experiancing--The urban sprawl goes almost all the way to the Berks County line now. Route 222 is the worst road in Pennslyvania--interstate volumes on a two lane "rural" highway. The intersection of Rt 222 and Shantz Rd is quite possily the worst intersection in PA--no light--to make a right onto 222 from Shantz Rd you have to look almost 180 degrees behind you. Make it a real right turn or an actual merge! As for route 100--it found itself being transformed from a country road to the main thoroughfare of a gigantic industrial area in the space of a decade or so and it is not built to cope with it. They are finally building a traffic light on the ramp from 78w to 100s like on McCarthur Rd. and 22 and expanding the ramp from 100n to 78e--long overdue!

As for the new 222 bypass, it is much needed, but the design is horrible!!! The area needed a new expressway--this road takes up as much space as a rural interstate (again, this area is NOT rural, stop pretending it is, developers!) yet has traffic lights and speed limits of 45. The state needs to recope some of its costs since the project took over a year over schedual to complete, so they put 45mph speed limits on a road that "feels" like a 55-65 road, and put cops every 100 feet. It's so funny I actually broke out laughing driving on it--I wasn't speeding but people were rocketing past at 70mph--bear bait!

I've noticed that "good" development has finally come to Bucks County after a half-century of disasterous sprawl--maybe it is only a few years off in Lehigh County. It is desperately needed, it is suffocating on its rapid growth. Also, rennovating Allentown should also be a priority over building new suburbs. It's perfectly poised for a middle-sized-city rennisance if people just put a little effort into it. Hell, the Lehigh Valley is large enough for a rapid transit system easily! The valley is right at the junction of the Rust Belt and BosWash Megatropolis, therefore has both the problems and oppertunities of both.

I digressed a little, but the point is 222 = worst road in PA! It's a little better now with the bypass but....argh!

Old 08-20-2008, 11:08 PM

26,426 posts, read 46,686,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
Also, rennovating Allentown should also be a priority over building new suburbs. It's perfectly poised for a middle-sized-city rennisance if people just put a little effort into it.
I say the same thing about Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Our suburbs are growing exponentially, yet our two core cities, both of which are replete with historic homes, attractive settings with rivers and mountain backdrops, convenient access to major interstates, good school systems, etc., continue to decline. I think this prioritization of suburbs over cities is a widespread problem throughout all of PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley