Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times

Advertisements

Your Holiday symbol Easton is not going up. Perhaps if someone can come up wtih $6,000, and a helping hand, your tradition might stand.
Stand it would! The Candle that stands on the Easton Circle is 100 feet tall!
This amazing Candle was first lit in 1951. Many over the years would think of it as an intertwinement of the town of Easton.
Many drove their children round, and round the Centre Square to gaze at this 100 foot candle. Kids were in awe........
The city is now looking to economize and the $6,000 that is needed might be cut from the budget. The city workers don't want to volunteer their time to asemble it.
Anyone who had thought of the nostalgia, and the glow of the candle during a snowy winters day...........should ask that the symbol remain.
Is the six thousand worth the memories of 56 years.......
Or will that time be no more.....
I vote for the candle, now what can we do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 12:53 PM

3 posts, read 9,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Your Holiday symbol Easton is not going up. Perhaps if someone can come up wtih $6,000, and a helping hand, your tradition might stand.
Stand it would! The Candle that stands on the Easton Circle is 100 feet tall!
This amazing Candle was first lit in 1951. Many over the years would think of it as an intertwinement of the town of Easton.
Many drove their children round, and round the Centre Square to gaze at this 100 foot candle. Kids were in awe........
The city is now looking to economize and the $6,000 that is needed might be cut from the budget. The city workers don't want to volunteer their time to asemble it.
Anyone who had thought of the nostalgia, and the glow of the candle during a snowy winters day...........should ask that the symbol remain.
Is the six thousand worth the memories of 56 years.......
Or will that time be no more.....
I vote for the candle, now what can we do?
REally? Where did you hear this? Is there any more info on this? How sad

Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

99 posts, read 338,090 times
Actually, I believe that the talk is to not put up the candle in 2009 unless funding is secured. I understand that there are sufficient funds to have the candle for the 2008 holiday season.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:12 AM

Peace Candle may not see piece of city pie - lehighvalleylive.com
It did mention a funding problem for 2009....but there is also a mention of no one wanting to put it up this year.
I hope some volunteers come forward.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:28 PM

15 posts, read 51,531 times
How SAD!

I haven't lived in that area for many years..but I remember doing exactly what Summering mentioned...driving around the circle looking at the candle. I loved it...
If I still lived in area I maybe would volunteer my time in some way. But it's sad to think NO ONE in the area would care enough to do that...

Karen...
VT is for me!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
It's back! Passing the torch -- themorningcall.com

Old 11-14-2008, 02:08 PM

I walked my dog, Harry, around the Square at about 1pm today and the workers had just finished putting the Peace Candle up. What a lovely sight! People were snapping pictures with their cameras and cell phones. The thing is HUGE!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:06 PM

I'm so happy that the entire ordeal changed and now the Candle is going up......
It is huge. It is also loved so much by the locals. I have a feeling it will be there for many years.....because the people want it. Good goin' Easton.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:04 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,263,111 times
How great is that!

See, this is what the holiday season is all about!

Old 11-25-2008, 05:36 AM

There are some really wonderful things planned for the Holiday season, starting this Friday, Nov. 28th ( day after Thanksgiving). The candle will be lit at 7:15 and the festivities start at 5pm. The stores will be offering holiday treats and in store entertainment;old fashioned horse drawn carriage rides will be available every Fri. night from 5 to 9pm;there will be REAL reindeer in Reindeer Alley (N Bank St.). There will be music courtesy of The Hand Bell Choir,Easton HS Brass Ensemble,and the Easton HS Chamber singers. There will also be Santa Claus ( bring your camera!) and costumed carolers. Bundle up and check out all the great things Downtown Easton is offering up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley