Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 AM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times

Advertisements

We were planning to move out west from Long Island, NY when my wife retires in a year but she was just diagnosed with terminal cancer so in order to be covered by her health insurance we have to be as close as possible to the Long Island area.

What town or area would be the most suitable for us. We want to live near a good hospital and where there is a good selection of doctors. We would want to rent a house that permits pets (2 dogs, 4 cats).

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 07:20 PM

I would really appreciate some suggestions.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:02 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife.

I live in Macungie which is in the Lehigh valley and very close to I-78. I'm originally from Long Island and I know getting back there from here requires going over several bridges. Depending on where on Long Island you need to be (south shore or north, there would be different ways to approach the drive.

As for nice places to live - I can't say enough good things about the Lehigh valley. My aunt and uncle retired and moved to Easton - they just love it! It is the first major town in PA when you leave NJ. Don't listen to those who bash Easton, as long as you are not sending your kids to school there, it's a great place - attracts many retirees too, so you would fit right in.

Best of luck in your search and with your wife's treatment.

Old 10-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Thanks so much Kristy, I will check out Easton.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:45 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
Sorry for not responding Norm. I was hoping Kristy would post because she's from Long Island. I've only been to long island once and that was to get to the airport. I'm sorry to hear about your wife. I can't imagine dealing with that and thinking about moving at the same time. Take care.

Old 10-13-2008, 05:32 AM

99 posts, read 338,256 times
Greetings, Norm! I, too, want to say how sorry I am about your wife's condition and we will certainly keep her in our prayers. We are from Long Island, too! ( Such a small world...) We have lived in NJ for the past 13 years ( husband was transferred to Morristown from NYC) and we are now relocating to Easton. You probably already know all the HUGE tax advantages to living in PA, as opposed to NY or NJ. My vote is for Easton as it is very accessible to Rt 78, as well as being a terrific area for people who do not have concerns with public schools. There are great doctors and hospitals in LV, as well. Lots of luck with your search and with your wife's recovery.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 AM

househunting,

I have read in these forums that Easton (please correct me if that's wrong) has a crime problem so I think I will concentrate on the E. Stroudburg area.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:17 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,264,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm View Post
househunting,

I have read in these forums that Easton (please correct me if that's wrong) has a crime problem so I think I will concentrate on the E. Stroudburg area.
Oh no, Easton is way nicer than E. Stroudsburg!

Honestly, you need to visit the area and get a feel. NEPA can't hold a candle to the Lehigh Valley - I've lived in both places, so I know of what I speak.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:46 PM

Thanks Kristy. I will making some trips there in the spring to see for myself.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:04 PM

99 posts, read 338,256 times
Norm, there is a lot of crime in E. Stroudsburg, and, I believe, gang activity. E. Stroudsburg is quite a haul to NY/LI. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley