U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 02-01-2009, 05:56 PM
 
11 posts, read 25,837 times
Reputation: 17

Advertisements

If you quit, you cant get unemployment. If you were fired for a good reason, (does NOT have to theft, maybe you called off too many times, whatever), you can not collect unemployment.

If the employer doesnt show up, you win.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:27 AM
 
146 posts, read 309,472 times
Reputation: 147
Default Uemployment Insurance Commission (UIC) appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm64 View Post
For the very first time, after working decades, I've applied for unemployment benefits. The claim was denied and I have the chance to appeal. Can anyone tell me what I can expect at the hearing? Who will be there from my former employer? What happens if the former employer doesn't show up? How formal are the proceedings? Thanks for any info. I just don't want to walk into an unknown situation.
I noticed your submission date is 5 days before I was fired so your case is long since resolved.
I went through the appeals prrocess. Not like a day at the picnic. I will try to make a long, long story short because I don't know how many words you are allowed on here.
The trial was by conference call. Three big guns from the company were there. Production manager, production supervisor, and I think she is accounts/HR or something (the company owners daughter anyway). You are questioned just like in the court room. Right down to raising your right hand to take the oath. It says in the pretrial stuff if you don't show up a decision will made with the original submissions. I don't know what happens if the employer doesn't show up. I think chances of winning the lottery are better.
It took four and a half months to get to trial. Here is a few things to remember:
1. Speak or write not one word of a lie about anything that went on to anyone. You never know how far gossip will go. Everyone you talk to has a friend that they want to impress with some brand knew knowledge.
2. Everytime you go to file for your weekly benefits, up will come something like "unresloved issues with your application." File anyway this is super important.
3.Memory fades with time. Take the time to write every single thing that your can remember that applies to your case. Anything you know from first hand knowledge, not hearsay, this is worthless.
4.If you win, don't go on wild spending spree because the case is far from over with.
5.DON'T GIVE UP. I'll bet 95% of the people fired never appeal and companies know that and feel safe firing anyone on the flimsiest of reasons. Anyone who thinks you can be fired for only one or two reasons either hasn't been fired or isn't aware that that there are one or two employers out there who will stop at nothing, including lying, about what happened just use one of those reasons if that actually is the only reasons the state has (I don't believeit). As far as I'm concerned the whole UIC system is designed by bullies for bullies. This is how small companies get rid of their people when things get slow. A companies rates go up if they lay anyone off just like your rates go up if you have an accident. Have you ever seen the stats on TV of the number fired and don't get unemployment. No, all you see are the huge numbers laid off by big companies and all they have to do is go home and file for unemployment and along comes those checks every week regular as clock work. Not the never ending battle to get unemployment if you are fired.
I was lucky and got a fair and unbiased judge. The judge is paid by the UIC and the UIC is paid for by the employer. I've been down this road before and believe me a judge like that is a rarity but I discovered they do exist.
If you have ever watched Judge Judy that is who judge I got reminded me of. She made mince meat of my former employer. They had not even one shred of evidence. What's funny is I heard through grape vine that they had fired their key witness a long time ago. The snitch they sent after me.
I finally went to court on 3.16.09 and on the 18th I got a notice in the mail that the money had been deposited to my account the day before. Over $3000.00 minus 15% state and federal taxes.
The original letter said that the company has 30 days or something to appeal and yesterday (4.01) I got the notice they are appealing. The company knows how unlikely it is to get a fair and unbiased judge and hoping for the opposite this time. I've been down this road before. The company can't lose if the judge looks at where their pay comes from rather than their consience and the facts.
All that money still sits in my account. Stone broke as I am, I don't dare touch it. I have pretend in my mind that I haven't even got it. In spite of the fact that you get free room and board I have no interest in finding out what happens if you don't pay the government what they decide you owe them. The government can take money out of your account as fast as they put in there, as I know for a fact others have found out who owe the IRS. If it isn't there for them take out ...... This has gotten way to long.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-02-2009, 10:42 AM
 
804 posts, read 1,216,245 times
Reputation: 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmausRocks View Post
What I posted was PA UNEMPLOYMENT LAW FACTS. Check the laws regarding unemployment and you'll find I am correct.

www.patrick.net
Wow. How can you assume every employer is honest? Nowadays many companies will lie to avoid paying increased unemployment taxes. They know that appeals can take a long time and many people just give up on it.

Last edited by nomore07; 04-02-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2009, 12:18 PM
 
146 posts, read 309,472 times
Reputation: 147
Default Uic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Wow. How can you assume every employer is honest? Nowadays many companies will lie to avoid paying increased unemployment taxes. They know that appeals can take a long time and many people just give up on it.
I didn't mean it the way you took it. I was being facetious (kidding). There are so many crooked, slimey, employers out there it would take half the fingers and toes in America to count them. There are, however a lot of employers who really hurt having to layoff their loyal employees. The keyword here is layoff rather than fire them. It's easy for the small companies. They just fire one or two a week on trumped B.S. and get rid of most of their crew. They layoff a few to call back when things get going again and the whole thing keeps their costs to a minimum. I guess I never made it clear in my first response that I know most people don't bother with appeals because it can take forever and most of the time you eventually lose anyway. Basically it is case of UIC investigating themselves and findinng themselves and the people who finance them guilty. Fat chance.
I know nothing about PA law and if I gave anyone the impression that I do it was an error on my part. I can still believe or not believe what I'm hearing.
I know it enrages some people if every word they say isn't considered gospel, however I have far more respect for people who at least think about what they heard.
Theft can cover everything under the sun. From taking long coffee breaks, to not coming to work on time every single day. Either one is blatant theft from the company. They need you at work on time and working when you are suppose to be working or you are causing them to lose money the same as if you stole money out of their till. If they didn't need you every day on time and working when you are supposed to be working they wouldn't have hired you in the first place. Some people think the only theft is when money is stolen or material stuff is stolen for resale or to take home to use. Just talking to someone at work and allowing your hands to stop or slow down for a moment is theft. What I'm saying in the end is an employer in PA has endless ways of firing a person for theft if that actually is the law there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Stagecoach, NV
7 posts, read 35,726 times
Reputation: 20
When you intially file for benefits, you are asked what the classification of the type of work you do is (ie: clerical, managerial, welding, whatever). Once you are classified, if you choose to return to full-time school you can be declared ineligible because your school would "interfere" with your normal type of work....unless you say you _would_ quit school for a job.

There's a buncha "if's" in that, but the bottom line is to try not to get classified in the wrong place; and to say that you're willing---no matter what---to go back to work above anything else happening in your life.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-13-2009, 10:26 AM
 
146 posts, read 309,472 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwen0000 View Post
When you intially file for benefits, you are asked what the classification of the type of work you do is (ie: clerical, managerial, welding, whatever). Once you are classified, if you choose to return to full-time school you can be declared ineligible because your school would "interfere" with your normal type of work....unless you say you _would_ quit school for a job.

There's a buncha "if's" in that, but the bottom line is to try not to get classified in the wrong place; and to say that you're willing---no matter what---to go back to work above anything else happening in your life.
All of that is certainly true. It is very easy to get disqualified. Be very careful how you answer all their questions on your weekly reports as well as the applications. If you even fib about a $50.00 week part time job and your employer is paying in you could find yourself in trouble.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 PM
 
2 posts, read 14,383 times
Reputation: 10
what you were fire because of crimnal record but not convicted can you get you unemployment?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2009, 10:30 PM
 
135 posts, read 234,321 times
Reputation: 24
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by maeatlanta5 View Post
what you were fire because of crimnal record but not convicted can you get you unemployment?

YES
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
 
10,464 posts, read 17,016,132 times
Reputation: 4949
Quote:
Originally Posted by maeatlanta5 View Post
what you were fire because of crimnal record but not convicted can you get you unemployment?

I need a grammatically correct translation. Not that it matters since the OP is from last Spring but I really don't understand this response. Is it, "Were you fired because you had a criminal record and even though you weren't convicted, now you cannot get unemployment?" If a person has a criminal record doesn't that mean they were convicted? Or does having a criminal record mean you were just charged with a crime? And is maeatlanta writing to us from prison and wants to collect unemployment?
__________________
Please follow THESE rules.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2009, 05:02 PM
 
2 posts, read 14,383 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifetimeLocal View Post
YES
thanks for that comment i had my appeal to day my employer didnot show up .will i have a better chance?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top