Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 82,200 times

Advertisements

Can you give me the dirt, everything and anything at all. I'm from the state anyway and live in Montgomery County in a decent area, close to everything. But I found this house that just screams BUY ME, BUY ME, so we are thinking of packing up, moving the kids and calling it home.

Kids are grade school through high school. Everyone has varied interests.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 01:30 AM

176 posts, read 647,337 times
I've only driven through Lehighton a few times, so unfortunately I can't give you much info. It seems like a nice, rural area. It's not far from Jim Thorpe, which is a very cute, historic town that has several festivals/fairs each year. Other than that, I don't think it's near anything else! LOL. It's about 30-40 minutes or so to the Stroudsburg area, which is the 'heart' of the Poconos in terms of a mall, movie theaters, etc.
It's definitely not as busy or congested as your neck of the woods, and it's not as crowded or 'touristy' as most of the rest of the Poconos. Good luck if you pursue it.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:21 PM

WOW, you mean no one has any information on lehighton? maybe it doesn't exist anymore LOL

Old 03-04-2007, 08:45 PM

1,518 posts, read 6,666,339 times
My parents grew up in Jim Thorpe and while visiting my grandparents we'd take many trips to Lehighton. I lived there when I was about 2 years old (I'm 44 now), in an apartment right across the street from a fire station. I know the town has improved a lot over the years. I still have relatives there but we don't visit them. If you'd like a quieter lifestyle I think it would be a good move for you. If you'd be lost without activities and places to go 24/7 then it might be best to reconsider.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:59 PM

Okay, I just asked my mom about Lehighton. Since she grew up in Jim Thorpe and my grandparents lived there until their deaths a few years ago, she keeps up with the local newspapers. She mentioned an article she saw in the Times News referring to some problems with kids in Lehighton right now that are so severe they're bringing in Hell's Angels to combat the problem. That doesn't sound good. Maybe a Google search for the Times News website would reveal some more information.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 26,058 times
Default help me with montgomery county

I have many questions about montgomery county...we are relocating from central ohio...can you help me? Sorry I can't be of help to you!

Old 03-05-2007, 01:37 PM

I was emailing my mom again and she urges strong caution before picking up your family and moving to Lehighton. Where exactly is this house that's screaming to be bought? Maybe my mom can shed some light on the particular neighborhood.

Old 03-05-2007, 05:39 PM

oustopenn...what part of montgomery county would you be locating? have you decided on neighborhood/town? if i know about it, i'll help you as best i could.

dawne, i'm going ot try and google that article now. thanks for the insight.

Old 03-05-2007, 10:03 PM

98 posts, read 432,297 times
Default Lehighton

I can help- I am just outside Jim Thorpe and shop and bank in Lehighton.

Give me the info on the house and I can help you.

I have not heard of anything so drastic about the kids at the Lehigton Schools as one poster listed. I can find out what that is about by asking around but in honesty- Lehighton is a sleepy hollow town with not to much life at the moment. Mayberry it isn't but NYC it isn't either.

As in any town you can expect low income homes from yesteryear and people who do not earn a great deal to go with it. But you also have some beautiful homes in other parts of the town-near the New High School which is also across from the Local Hospital Blue Mountain Health Care System.

They are getting many peole from the city buying homes on the suburbs near Beltzville State Park. Lots of home around this area are upper class. This is one of the areas Doctors and Lawyers live and people whom have a 2nd vacation home(from NJ or Ny).

Shopping: Not good, expect Walmart to be your main squeeze for essentials unless you want to go to Allentown(a 35 minute drive or so).

Taxes are high on R.E. because there is Very Little Business in this county.

Most people work in other counties to support their families and if you don't your either working low wages(hence the reason for the poor areas and homes) or your a Doctor,lawyer or work for the School etc to make a living.

No major Business exsists here. Though the County Commissioners are trying to promote a Industrial Park called Packerton Yard in Lehighton(I personally think it is a bad area considering the layout of the yard is near a river which floods).

Crime: It is low though all the towns are having problems with drugs.

Quality of life: It depends what your looking for. If simplicity is what you want I suppose this is as fine as any place. There are good parts and bad parts of the town. I noticed men and women are rather sloppy in their dress. Expect to run across women who look like they just got out of bed without any makeup. Their clothes too! Some of the men are pretty sad-toothless and beer bellies! Ugh! You will see those all the time on the main street which has No business(most stores are all closed down).

I could go on but am not sure what else you need to know.

My husband and I shop mainly in Allentown and okay city to shop but not to live I assure you.

If I can help post me.

Old 03-10-2007, 10:07 PM

sleepless. thanks for the information. i have enough to go by, just now need to check on the schools.

i'm just thinking it would be better to raise kids in another area so they don't become too fast and city tainted.

wow, not one store open on main street...that's certainly sad. that's prevalent in so many areas in the state. so many once-thriving towns reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley