Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2009, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,717 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am going to be moving to the Lehigh Valley area with my wife this summer for a job. I really don't know a lot about the area other then what I've been able to read online. I will be working in Coopersburg and would like to have a fairly short commute to work. I know that we want to be in a safe community, but we also can't pay an arm and a leg for rent. I was wondering where I should be looking. If possible we would like to avoid large apartment building living in favor of something quieter. We were hoping for something like a duplex. On another note, I was wondering if you could give me any recomendations for broadband internet providers and tv companies in the area. Also, does anyone have any experience picking up HDTV over the air in the area? Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,387,446 times
I live just outside of Coopersburg. I've seen single homes for rent in town and just outside of town. They are not new so would probably be pretty reasonable. I would suggest you look right in Coopersburg before going outside of the area or even into Center Valley. Unfortunately, most homes don't seem to really advertise, they just stick a "home for rent" sign on their front lawn. If you can't find anything right in Coopersburg, you might consider going over the hill to Emmaus. They have a nice downtown. Hellertown is in the other direction and also has a nice downtown area. Both are about 20 minutes from Coopersburg and an easy commute through some nice back roads.

I can't really advise you on the internet providers because that's going to be a place specific thing. In my neighborhood for instance, you can go with Service Electric or dish network but verizon isn't here yet. We have broadband internet, cable and phone through Service Electric. HDTV is available through both.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 AM

5 posts, read 15,453 times
Look into Whitehall and West end since these are nicer areas. In Whitehall you have many shopping centers and lots of things to do. Center city is sucky but not bad on rent because of all the crime that goes on. There is also nice areas in Bethlehem like the north. I loved living in Allentown, there are so many nice people. Streets 18 and up are nice to live in. Streets lower are not as great. Take a drive and youll see what I mean.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 12,322 times
God bless you FuturePA, I really don't want to sound negative, but I was raised in Emmaus, PA, went to East Penn School District schools and moved away after High School and went to college and then moved out west. So I was away from the Lehigh Valley for quite some time and decided to take the plunge and move back here to be near my family 4 years ago. I have not regretted the move to be near my family, but it has been a challenge living here. I hope you have an amazing job you can wrap your mind around and create your "own world" with your family here. Because it is quite a place. I used to be a very positive person, open mind, create possiblities. I was never the one to say "No" that can't happen, we can't make that happen, or "No" we can't do that for you. The mentality here is strange! The customer service is terrible and the food is horrible (restaurants and grocery stores) Less educated, unmotivated, and "I do not care" kind of folks around here. I must say, but if you have the power to not feed into it, and not allow it to get the best of you, then I say you will be fine, just keep your head up! or just walk away! It's been a struggle, it's such a shame because it is such a beautiful place and the seasons are amazing, the winters can be extremely long, gray, dreary, and cold. Prepare yourself. As for renting, I would say rent something in Coopersburg, like the other post says, alot of landlords put for rent signs up, because they are too cheap to advertise. Try Craigslist Lehigh Valley, and Mcall.com (The Morning Call newspaper). And also through a realtor. Prudential Patt White is good, also Keller Williams, and Summit. Alot of realtors have rentals listed, because the landlords just don't want to do the legwork. Also, you may want to try WestEndAssciates, they advertise alot on Craigslist and they have properties for rent in West End Allentown, but not sure if you want to be that far away from Coopersburg, you will have to travel Rt. 22 and Rt. 78 and you might just want to avoid that all together, plus Allentown, I don't care what part of Allentown it is, it's going down the drain. Try to stay near Center Valley, out that way and in my opinion, I would stay clear from heading west on Rt. 78, toward Dorney Park, Allentown, Whitehall, etc. it's just the pits. So I would definitely try to get a place in Coopersburg, Center Valley, Lower/Upper Saucon Townships, or outskirts of Bethlehem (Salisbury Township), or out toward Quakertown. There is a townhouse community off of Rt. 309, near the Promenade shops, I can't remember what the community is called, but they are brand new, across the street from center valley golf club, I am sure a realtor could help you find out who/and if they are rented. Also, like the one post said over the hill to Emmaus. Emmaus isn't bad, it's just attracting a lot of rift raft. I think because it was voted the top 100 best places to live, and since that happened, Emmaus has gone downhill. I've lived in an apartment complex in Emmaus for over 2 years now and I feel I live in the ghetto. Illegal immigrants, rift raft from Jersey, it's bad. The only place in Emmaus I could tell you that is good is up the mountain from Broad Street in Emmaus up 6th or 7th streets, over the hill toward Coopersburg, somewhere in the country!!! But the area surrounding downtown Emmaus is turning into poverty haven, alot of HUD, section 8. I can't help you much with the internet thing, but I know that Service Electric and RCN are two companies that provide internet. I understand that they have been trying to update their services and running lines throughout several areas, in Emmaus, many of these areas are in a time warp, so I can't help much with that. But I know they are trying to keep up with the times! All the luck to you!!! I hope you find your experience here in the Lehigh Valley a pleasant one!!! Best Wishes!!!!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:40 PM

1,032 posts, read 4,253,820 times
FuturePA -

My family and I moved to the Lehigh Valley a year ago (Lower Macungie Township) and are very happy here.

Honestly, I don't know where Ms. sickofPA is basing his opinion on - I have not seen any of the things he's tlaking about.

We've lived in many states and cities in the north east, so I have a frame of reference to work from, and I can truly say that the Lehigh Valley has been a great fit for us (and no, we are not rif-raf from NJ )

Best of luck with your relocation!

Old 01-12-2009, 05:39 PM

4,412 posts, read 9,099,202 times
sick of pa is right! One of the greatest post on here. Here's my poem

People around here ain't receptive to anything new. They Just sit and veg in front of the tube. They do not care about any exotic cusine. hot wings will do just fine. They don't care about no trendy origianl music scene. they're happy with bar band covers of April Wine.

Loose Cannon

Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 AM

13,250 posts, read 33,387,446 times
I'm not really sure what's up with loose cannon and sickofPa, because I'm not seeing what they are seeing. We've lived here for 11 years and I've never lived in such a friendly place. When we moved in most of the neighbors came over with their whole family and food. I play bunco once a month with the neighborhood women, and we watch the Eagles games with a regular group of neighbors and friends. I had no problem getting involved and making friends through my son's PTA when I was brand new to the area.

I also don't understand the negativity about customer service and bad grocery stores. You won't find a better large grocery store then Wegmans and even the local ones (Giant and Weis-Kings in Coopersburg) are fine. We eat a lot of vegetarian food and have little trouble finding what we need. I do confess to trips to Montgomeryville to visit Costco and Trader Joe's but I'm sure it's possible to live without that. I think.

My twenty something daughter moved back in late August after a year abroad and is always busy going skiing in the summer, visiting the local wineries, shopping, or planning the next trip/adventure somewhere. I think she's been to NYC about 5 times since last fall and to Philadelphia once. A couple of her best friends live in NYC, and she loves visiting.

The music scene though- Loose cannon, where would someone her age go to hear new music besides Godfrey Daniels? When she lived here last she was in HS so doesn't really know where to go. She's not into rap or club music. I confess to spending too much time on the computer tube, (not so much the tv) but it is awfully cold out right now and it's hard to get motivated to go outside. brrrr!

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:40 AM

10 posts, read 28,179 times
Well, I would like to put my two cents in. I have lived in the Nazareth area (about a 1/2 hour north of Allentown) my whole life. I live in Bushkill Twnp which is Nazareth schools, but WInd Gap address. Nazareth was a nice quiet town, with pleasant people who had the same values and morals. We could keep our doors unlocked, and our kids could play outside. The schools were small and you knew everyone. After 9/11 our area began growing. Nothing wrong with that. The problem was that many of the people who moved in wanted our area to look and feel just like where they came from. So now we have neighborhoods as far as the eye can see, instead of farmland. We have shopping centers in every direction. We have restaurants that locals cant afford to eat at. We have schools too small for the number of kids attending. We have taxes so high, that locals cant afford to pay them and so must move. We have higher crime rates with robberies and assults. Just north of us they are having the worst problems, girls being raped on the schoo bus, guns in lockers, drug busts, gun fights, etc. The one school built a jail cell in it. Now you would think this sounds like a major city, but it is in the eastern side of the Poconos. We see some of it here as well, thankfully not as bad, yet. Like many locals, we are looking to move out of the area.

As for the customer service and restaurants, I think it depends on where you go and who you are dealing with. The level of rudeness has gone up substanially in the past few years. I worked in the Macungie area and found most people to be very nice, Coopersburg is also a nice area. If you are looking for a quieter place with lower rental costs, Wind Gap, Pen Argyl and Bangor are nice. The schools are still small, and the people are usually receptive as long as you dont go in with the attitude that their way of life isnt the right way to live. UNfortunately it would be a 30 to 45 min commute to Coopersburg with traffic.

WE have restaurants for most tastes, there are some really good Indian, Japanesse, Mexican, Middle Eastern, American, and even a great Brazilian Steak House. Along with all the chain restaurants. So not sure what restaurants the above post was reffering to.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,122 times
Default moving to coopersburg for the summer

Coopersburg is a nice, small town. There is a very nice shopping center close by. There are high end stores, small stores and the chains. There are very nice restaurants and a fantanstic grocery store. Just so you know there are tons of history in the area and a drive to NYC and or Philadelphia is very easy. There is a local art museum and art school, an amusement park is also close by. The area was very small town but it is starting to welcome newcomers. It has much to offer keep an open mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley