U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2009, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 4,684 times
Default Antenna TV

Does anyone use antenna TV in the Valley? Is it possible to get any ABC, CBS, FOX, or NBC stations? If you do, which kind of antenna do you use? I can only get PBS and WFMZ right now.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 08:38 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,036,318 times
We used to use an antenna and got about a dozen channels including all those that you have listed, but on June 12th all of the channels will go digital, right?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:26 PM

3,514 posts, read 5,200,525 times
Most of the stations already have had digital service a fw years but on June 12 all the analog stations, except some low power LPTV's will finally be turned off.
You should rescan your tuner after that date for an updated channel selection.

DETAILS at The Digital TV Transition: What You Need to Know About DTV

Also tvfool.com has a site where they predict your reception.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:13 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,036,318 times
The antenna that we used was one that was in our attic, not sticking on the roof. We got it at Radio Shack.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,409,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
The antenna that we used was one that was in our attic, not sticking on the roof. We got it at Radio Shack.
I found another thread from a man in Coopersburg who had a UHF antenna in his mothers attic. She was a widow who was trying to cut expenses. The neighbors didn't like it on her back porch.

He mentioned that he could WNEP (ABC out of Scranton on UHF) from the attic antenna. He didn't realize that WNEP has a translator (a secondary transmit tower) on South Mountain near where WLVT and WFMZ have their tower. Those antennas are less than 6 miles away. You will see the translator as W07DC-D on some reports as real channel 7. But it is actually WNEP virtual channel 16, real channel 50.

All the high definition digital channels are now being broadcast. But I think you will end up on the roof with a fairly expensive antenna if you want to get all the networks.

Very few people can weigh in on this subject that have actually tried an antenna in the last 5 years.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:17 PM

I found some statistics for the Philadelphia DMA (which includes the Lehigh Valley)
Customers who get their signal:
Over the Air - 5.6%
Wired Cable - 80.3%
Alternate Delivery System (mostly satellite) - 15.3%

nationwide July 2012
Wired Cable - 59.7%
Alternate Delivery System (mostly satellite) - 31.2%

So with only 5.6% getting their signal OTA (possibly even lower in the Lehigh Valley) no one is likely to answer this question. Also , coverage areas vary greatly for different areas of the valley, so any answer you get is very unlikely to benefit someone else.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,207,748 times
I saw a HUGE antenna on a house the other day. I wish I took a picture, because I thought of this thread when I saw it. It was the style we used to have when I lived in Northeast PA; the kind that comes with the antenna box. I had to turn it a half turn every afternoon at 4 p.m. so I could get the Binghamton station and watch The Great Space Coaster.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
I saw a HUGE antenna on a house the other day. I wish I took a picture, because I thought of this thread when I saw it.
I saw this photo on a AVS forum. The gentleman lives in Orefield (route 309 3 miles north of route 22).
It looks like an easy way to get killed. In addition you can still get a service electric package for $20/month for broadcast channels. I think an antenna that takes a decade to pay off isn't worth it.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:42 AM

2,095 posts, read 1,207,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I saw this photo on a AVS forum. The gentleman lives in Orefield (route 309 3 miles north of route 22).
It looks like an easy way to get killed. In addition you can still get a service electric package for $20/month for broadcast channels. I think an antenna that takes a decade to pay off isn't worth it.
That might have been where I saw it, especially if it is right on 309. I cut through there sometimes on the way back from the Lehigh Valley.

Yeah, I don't really see the point of getting a huge antenna like that, unless the people are trying to prove a point or have a gripe with the local cable providers.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatildaLoo View Post
Yeah, I don't really see the point of getting a huge antenna like that, unless the people are trying to prove a point or have a gripe with the local cable providers.
People get to be antenna dweebs. This guy in Orefield gives a laundry list of stations he can pull in, from up to 100 miles away.

And people do get into massive fights with their cable providers.

The availability of Netflix, Hulu plus, Hulu, crackle, and plain old DVD's which often include whole TV series are renewing interest in Over the Air Broadcast TV. Some people feel as if they are overpaying for cable since they tap these other sources for video. But they want some simple Network coverage for Football games, relatives visiting, Morning talk shows, and local news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley