Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 7,903 times

Advertisements

I am interested in going to see a little apartment I found on craigslist and its located in allentown on s10th between walnut and hamilton. How is this area? I'm from northern nj and am used to places that are not picture perfect suburban towns but also do not want to live anywhere that is comparable to newark. How close is it to rt 78? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 07:47 PM

143 posts, read 463,731 times
My old church is in this neighborhood, in the middle of this block. My mother still went there and we have many friends there.

The night before her memorial service in April 2009 police shot a man in this neighborhood. He had pulled a gun on them.

Shell casings have been picked up on the sidewalk of the church from other shootings.

Police are in this neighborhood weekly at the very least. Parking is difficult and break-ins common.

The Allentown Parking Authority is at 10 TH and Hamilton and the police are moving there in the future as a sub station.

Four men have been murdered with in a block or two of that neighborhood in the last three years.

Try for something South of Emmaus Avenue, all those apartments would get you to 78 quickly. Salisbury Township, Emmaus, Wescosville, Macungie all are close to 78 and a little better than Allentown, and A LOT better then center city Allentown.

There are a lot of apartments in that block. Many are rented by some not so nice people. If you had a problem with one of them you could never go to them.

We are working to retirement and then leaving Allentown.

I live in this neighborhood. Last November I watched as police chased a man past the front of our home. As he ran by a gun fell out of his belt onto the street out front.

You better be bilingual as well.

Try to stay out of the heart of Allentown.

I am interested in going to see a little apartment I found on craigslist and its located in allentown on s10th between walnut and hamilton. How is this area? I'm from northern nj and am used to places that are not picture perfect suburban towns but also do not want to live anywhere that is comparable to newark. How close is it to rt 78? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,135,397 times
It is definitely no walk in the park, but still pales in comparison to Newark.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,903 times
Default How about right off of Green Street?

Ok so you definitely scared me away from the s10th apartment.. I have lived in Newark and have not even experienced anything like that. Theres another apartment that is located right off of Green St. Is says it used to be the old Penn State Allentown Campus..? How is that area?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:42 PM

Smile Do you have a more detailed location, only

Do you have a more detailed location, only because the Penn State Lehigh Valley Campus has been in Fogelsville PA. for some years.

They are moving to Center Valley sometime in the future to an all new location for them..

I am not familiar with the location you mention. It must be the original PSU Lehigh Valley from sometime ago.

Green Street runs east and west. An apartment on the Western end of Green Street in Allentown could be nice and it would be close to 78.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:19 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
I wonder if you mean the old Allentown Business School address? That would be off of 15th street wouldn't it? That doesn't seem like too bad of an area.

PSU Fogelsville is going to relocate to the current location of the Lehigh Valley College, which coincidentally used to be the Allentown Business School. It's very close to the Promenade shops in Center Valley. Lehigh Valley College

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:26 PM

Smile I am not sure,

The Allentown Business School was around 7 TH and Hamilton for years. Then they moved to Lehigh Street by the Parkway Shopping Center.

They finally relocated to Center Valley Road over the South Mountain before it finally closed.

But if it is the Old Allentown Business School which old location do they mean?

He mentioned Green Street and that throws me a curve.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:13 PM

Smile Maybe it was the Pennsylvania School of Business

Maybe it was the Pennsylvania School of Business and that is now located in the area of 4 TH and Hamilton.

You could watch the Police cars, motorcycles, bicycles and Patty Wagons fly out of the Police Station every 15 minutes. It too is at 4 Th between Hamilton and Linden. On the corner of 4 Th and Linden is the Lehigh County Prison.

You should probably look at something in Emmaus, Cetronia, Wescosville, Trexlertown, Fogelsville and Kuhnsville. All suburban areas of Allentown and nice places to live.

All are close to Route 78 as well!

Pennsylvania School of Business - Accreditation, Degrees, Financial Aid & Student Reviews (http://www.guidetocareereducation.com/career-colleges/pennsylvania-school-of-business - broken link)

Last edited by PA.Dutchman; 07-06-2009 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: spellinng

Old 07-19-2009, 01:51 PM

6 posts, read 15,865 times
Downtown Allentown is fine. I have lived downtown, down the street from this location for a year. I have not had any problems. The area is improving. There are bike cops and foot patrolmen that you see and security cameras that were installed last year. The Allentown Brew Works is fun, there are new restaurants opening (Badda Bingg), and free music on PPL Plaza lunches and afterwork through the summer. A growers market at lunch, too. You should check out the apartment.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:18 PM

Lightbulb Our Morning Call Newspaper has an Interactive

Our Morning Call Newspaper has an Interactive Crime Map on its homepage. It will give you how many crimes of all types have taken place in the last couple days or the last month.

This is the area of 10 and Hamilton for the last month and is only the Violent Crime Selection. There are a dozen other types of crimes that can be accessed.

If you click on the circle it gives you the details of the crimes listed.
One is for a man who was stabbed standing in front of his home around 1138 Hamilton Street.
Showing 26 violent crimes published in the last 30 days within 1 miles of 10 TH and Hamilton Streets Allentown

[RIGHT]Map data ©2009 Tele Atlas - Terms of Use[/RIGHT]

3 incidents
click for details
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley