U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-20-2009, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 71,737 times
Smile best towns in PA to raise a family

Hello,

I am a 26 year old female from NJ, and my hubby and I are relocating to PA for his job. We have a 5 month old baby and I just want to know what are some of the best areas for young families or families with young children in PA. We dont really know too much about the area. We are looking for a nice 3 bedroom 2 bath townhome or apartment to rent for $1000 - $1400 a month close to NJ or within 2 hours of NJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

When are you moving? SOME TIME IN 2010
Where are you coming from? PISCATAWAY NJ
Why are you moving? HUSBAND IS GETTING JOB WITH PA LAW ENFORCEMENT
Where will you be working? NOT SURE YET HUBBY'S NEW JOB WILL PLACE HIM CLOSE TO WHERE EVER WE MOVE TO
Have you been here yet? I HAVE BEEN TO A FEW PLACES IN PA ON VACATION BUT NEVER LIVED IN PA

Will you buy or rent? LOOKING TO RENT BUT MAY BUY IF RENT IS JUST AS MUCH AS MORTGAGE
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? TOWNHOUSE $1000 - $1400 A MONTH
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? TOWNHOUSE $1000 - $1400 A MONTH
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? WALK UP

Are you married or single? Do you have children? MARRIED 5 MONTH OLD BABY
Do you prefer public or private schools? PUBLIC
Do you have pets? NO
Do you want or need a yard? YES
Are you keeping a car? YES 2 CARS BUT A GARAGE IS NOT NECESSARY
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? SOMEWHERE IN BETWEEN OR A SUBURB CLOSE TO A CITY OR ACTIVITES

What do you want to be closest to? WORK, SHOPPING AND BASIC SERVICES, ESPECIALLY A WALMART...LOL
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? I WOULD LIKE TO LIVE IN A NEIGHBORHOOD WITH OTHER FAMILIES THAT HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN

Last edited by FeFe01; 07-20-2009 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: ADDING INFO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:56 AM

143 posts, read 267,125 times
Smile Try to go west of Allentown, some nice areas are

Try to go west of Allentown, some nice areas are Fogelsville, Topton, Mertztown, Hamburg and New Smithsville. All are quiet and crime has not really hit these areas yet.

You will find good schools and lots of things to do and places to tour and visit.

Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM

10,212 posts, read 16,026,505 times
I think a really nice set of townhouses is in west Allentown is Trexler Park apartments. This is Parkland School district, within walking distance of Wegmans grocery store (best one in the Valley) and also within walking distance of a great walking park. I don't think you will find a house to buy in a safe area in your price range, but I could be wrong. There are also some nice townhouses in Center Valley at Liberty Village but I'm not sure if they are for rent.

Trexler Park Apartments in Allentown, PA | Apartments.com

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:08 PM

18 posts, read 37,293 times
North Bethlehem, specifically Hanover Township, near Wegmans. Its a great place for young families. Pointe North area has rentals, so does Park Place right off of 22, near AppleTree Plaza (Talbots) Might be cheaper to buy, especially if first time home buyer!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:44 AM

Thumbs down Buy a Morning Call today or access their site,

Buy a Morning Call today or access their site.

There have been several Strong Armed Robberies of citizens on city streets this week, several businesses, a teen stabbed so bad on North 5 TH Street he told EMS he can not feel his legs.

All week there has been crime after crime and not shop lifting, serious assaults and robberies.

Allentown is NOT a place to bring a decent family and children. Honestly if you love your children don't relocate to Allentown.

Read the Police reports for this week, just this week. Then realize this is only one week out of 52 weeks.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:54 AM

10,212 posts, read 16,026,505 times
PA dutchman, with all due respect, the OP has not indicated that she and her family have any intent at all in living in Center City Allentown. In fact she says " I WOULD LIKE TO LIVE IN A NEIGHBORHOOD WITH OTHER FAMILIES THAT HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN." The title of this thread is Best towns in PA to raise a family. I understand that you are strongly trying to steer people away from moving to Allentown with all the best of intentions but in this case, the OP is asking about the Lehigh Valley towns, not Center City Allentown.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 AM

Smile Please believe me when I say I really do care

I apologize for scaring and upsetting folks, I guess you all know how I feel about recommending any body to move to Allentown. If you have a Real Estate Agent recommending homes in Allentown really question the location and maybe drive by.

Again I am sorry, enough said. Go West of Allentown like in the Old Westerns, Go west young man, go west.

Please believe me when I say I really do care. Allentown is my home and has been since I was born in 1948.

Growing up here was GREAT! We loved it as children and our city won "All American City" twice. But that was all years and years ago.

It is not a good place now for families and children. I don't say this because I don't want better neighbors, I honestly do care and don't want to see new people get hurt.

I could not in all honestly knowing and hearing all that I know recommend Allentown to anyone. In the old days we had an International neighborhood. We had people from every country and community. Good people who worked hard and took pride in their neighborhood and city.

They are all gone, died or moved out.

I speak from experience not from rumors, I see crime in my own neighborhood, our home has been broken into twice in the last three years..

We have done everything the police recommended, but if they want to get in they are. When we are retired and it will be soon we are gone!

But please everyone I love to meet new folks, I trained new people at work and knew all the new employees for 25 years. I LOVED it!

I was on the Safety Committee for 31 plus years because I care very much about people and their loved ones. That is why I do not recommend Allentown to anyone any longer.

I was a volunteer at the Lehigh Co. Prison for nearly 14 years, I went in once a week. The kind of inmate we have there now has changed greatly. Many now are gang members.

No not all the old or long timers are resentful of new folks coming to the valley. I really do enjoy meeting people, but not when they might have a gun or knife in their hand.

PS.
What really hurt my wife one time was at church when someone said they would NEVER come down to our home to visit us. They would be too afraid. No one ever did come and we eventually changed churches. It upset the wife to hear people talk about her neighborhood and home like that. She works at a Center City Non Profit for nearly 20 years and she loves the job and the people of the streets, but even that is getting a little more difficult to do.

Last edited by PA.Dutchman; 07-23-2009 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-23-2009, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 18,200 times
We live in Hanover Township with elementary school age kids and love it. It is close to route 22 so you have easy access to most things. I am from NY and find that this area is a lot of transplants from NY and NJ. If you go further west it is still nice but more 'country' with more people born and raised in the area. If we didn't live in Hanover I think I would have chosen Parkland/Macungie area.
Good luck with whatever you decide!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley