Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,716 times

Advertisements

Hi. I'm a young single female looking to get a 1 bedroom apartment in either Allentown or Emmaus. Which city would be safer for me to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 05:35 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,110,670 times
Generally speaking, Emmaus is about 10 times safer than Allentown. Allentown has some safe areas (west end, some neighborhoods in the deep east/south sides) outside of center city, but generally Emmaus is the place to go unless you live the thug lifestyle. Stay away from center city, even if someone tells you "it's really not that bad." It is that bad.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:12 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Emmaus, hands down is a safer place to live and it has a cute, walkable downtown. John, btw, is referring to Center City Allentown as the place to avoid. Sad, but true.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:29 PM

79 posts, read 295,650 times
I liked Macungie when I was up there, which was close to Emmaus. I drove through Allentown and was scared.. haha. Emmaus was okay, but certain parts seemed a little sketchy.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:15 AM

135 posts, read 369,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Generally speaking, Emmaus is about 10 times safer than Allentown. Allentown has some safe areas (west end, some neighborhoods in the deep east/south sides) outside of center city, but generally Emmaus is the place to go unless you live the thug lifestyle. Stay away from center city, even if someone tells you "it's really not that bad." It is that bad.
Only 10 times? Allentown is hood and getting worse but with all the section 8 rentals that are starting to show up around the burbs it wont be long.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:05 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillzilla View Post
I liked Macungie when I was up there, which was close to Emmaus. I drove through Allentown and was scared.. haha. Emmaus was okay, but certain parts seemed a little sketchy.
I can't think of any place in Emmaus that I would consider sketchy.

Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM

Default powder mill

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
I can't think of any place in Emmaus that I would consider sketchy.

powder mill?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:49 AM

939 posts, read 3,385,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifetimeLocal View Post
powder mill?
It's funny you mention that because I lived there back in 97-98. I certainly wasn't living in luxury but it was clean, affordable, and safe (atleast back then). I haven't drove by Powder Mill for several years but do go through Emmaus on occasion. It appears things may have changed in that apartment complex.

But if I had to choose between center city Allentown or Powder Mill apartments, I'd pick Powder Mill.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGlenn View Post
It's funny you mention that because I lived there back in 97-98. I certainly wasn't living in luxury but it was clean, affordable, and safe (atleast back then). I haven't drove by Powder Mill for several years but do go through Emmaus on occasion. It appears things may have changed in that apartment complex.

But if I had to choose between center city Allentown or Powder Mill apartments, I'd pick Powder Mill.

To my knowledge thats the only rough spot in emmaus. The majority of the police calls are for that apartment complex(buddies a cop there). The reason its still a crap complex is because they have section 8 renters. A few years ago a new company bought the complex but by law they cant just kick out the section 8 people. They are not accepting new section 8 renters but there are so many in there it will be decades before they are cleared out. That goes to my point about how section 8 housing can ruin a nice place. All the houses that cant sell or rent around the east penn area and others will most likely go this route when they are bought for sheriffs sale or foreclosures. Since the govt pays the bills and damages landlords sell out the community for easy profit. With prices are a downward spiral that logically will continue it's going be a wild ride for the lehigh valley. I would imagine squatters are going to be the next big thing for the ABE. The feds got us into this mess making everyone believe anyone can own a home which they can but it's paying for it that sucks and when people are spending 40% or more of their income to pay a mortgage or rent it's no wonder how we got into this.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,716 times
Thanks so much guys!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley