U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-18-2009, 09:13 PM

207 posts, read 456,875 times

Advertisements

My husband has gotten a job in Allentown working for a company on 31st Street. He needs a furnished efficiency apartment until I can move us from NC to there. He will be looking at one this Thursday located on North 9th Street in Allentown. How is that area?

Also we may have an opportunity to rent a whole house in West Allentown on 20th Street. Is this area safe, nice, etc.? We have no clue exactly what streets & areas to avoid. Where exactly is CC Allentown (streets)?

Thanks for any help with the locations I've posted.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 PM

1,238 posts, read 3,069,395 times
This Wiki article will give you an idea about the various areas:
List of Allentown neighborhoods - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not personally live @ the 9th street location. My best friend lives @ 14th & Linden and that area's OK but not great IMO.

If you don't have children in the public school system, the 20th street location should be a nice place to live.

If you do a forum search, issues pertaining to Allentown have been discussed in good detail in the past. Hope that helps!

Old 10-19-2009, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the reply. No, I don't have school age children so schools aren't an issue, but I am bringing an elderly mother so I worry about her. I also like to walk (the little exercise I indulge in lol) so safety is of a concern for myself even though I bring my 50 lb dog with me.

What vicinity is Center City Allentown considered? Where does it become the nicer area of Allentown? After all I've read here I'd prefer to totally AVOID Allentown at all costs & live outside of it. I hate to declare a city bad everywhere, I'm sure there's good parts to it. So I guess I'm trying to discover those parts if we are forced to choose a place within Allentown.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 AM

707 posts, read 1,279,235 times
Center city is roughly the area bounded by the Lehigh River on the east, Martin Luther King Dr on the south, 15th street on the west, and possibly Sumner Ave on the north. Take a look on mapquest and this will make sense. Most of it is to be avoided. There are a couple of decent blocks, but as an outsider it's likely you won't easily be able to determine which these are. Your 20th street house is fine. Below 18th street or so it starts to get a little sketchy, then increasingly so as you get below around 15th.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:06 AM

10,450 posts, read 16,929,805 times
I would consider 9th Street a bad area, and 20th Street a better area. I don't think of 20th as "West Allentown", but as the wiki article says, there are no real defined borders to indicate where one neighborhood starts and another ends. I think of West Allentown starting around Ott street. Route 145 (7th street) goes right through Center City.

I cross posted with John. He probably has a better handle on what's "West Allentown" then I do.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-19-2009, 06:09 AM

Oh and there are sort of two "31st streets" that your husband could be working on. One is N. 31st St. and the other is 31st Street SW. The first is on the west side of Allentown by Cedar Crest Blvd and the other is on the south side off of Lehigh Street. Both areas are pretty nice and I wouldn't mind living in either.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:09 PM

He's working on the 31st Street SW end & has said from what he's seen (just going back & forth to work) that area looks okay. Thanks so much for the info. It sounds like the furnished apartment he's supposed to go look at is not in a good/safe area of town. I believe I'll keep looking for him even though he may believe he can "handle" it (living in that area).

Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM

A lot of the ads for furnished apartments in Allentown are unfortunately in the bad areas, targeting unsavory "transient" folk and people who can barely keep afloat financially. He's better off getting an apartment in a decent area and buying a couple pieces of cheapo Ikea furniture.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:37 PM

207 posts, read 399,484 times
A better bet might be to look in Emmaus which isn't far from the area of Allentown that he will be working. It's a much nicer area and you won't have the same concerns you might in many areas of Allentown. Just a thought.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Well, I finally got a real address to the 20th Street in "West" Allentown. It's actually a home on North Lafayette St in Allentown that will be available soon for rent. The owner says the area is very nice & there is a Farmer's Market very close. Anyone familiar with this area? We will be looking at it Friday & I'll be able to see a few places while I'm in town. Thanks all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley