U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-11-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 8,354 times
Post Want to move to Emmaus PA

My husband works in Allentown and we now live in East Stroudsburg. The School district here is not doing well with over population. His coworkers say that Schools in Emmaus are good. Is this true? Does anybody know what School districts in that area are better?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 09:20 PM

10,272 posts, read 16,336,586 times
Schools in Emmaus are good but you would be moving from the frying pan into the fire. Everytime they have a school board meeting they talk about building new schools because they are having a a hard time keeping up with the enrollment. Use www.schoolmatters.com to check out the districts. Southern Lehigh (my area) is very good. Alot of people like Parkland. Their HS is beautiful. Saucon is also pretty good. Large- Parkland and East Penn (Emmaus) Smaller - Saucon Valley and Southern Lehigh.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:47 PM

84 posts, read 292,219 times
Emmaus is a really nice town to live in. It has a small town feel with all the shopping/restaurants/etc available close by. I taught in Parkland and we live in East Penn (my husband graduated from EP). Both districts are pretty equal academically and athletically. They usually swap first and second place for best test scores, sports championships, etc each year. Parkland does have a very nice, recently built HS, but it's almost at capacity already (school districts are only allowed to build a certain percentage above their current enrollment, even if they know they will be getting a continuous influx of kids). East Penn (we're kids in Emmaus attend) renovated their HS a couple of years ago (and moved the middle school kids who were in the next building to a new facility) and are currently renovating one of the two middle schools. Personally, I think the kids in Parkland tend to be a bit more snotty (even though there are just about as many kids in EP whose parents are doctors, lawyers, executives, etc) than the kids in EP, but that's just my opinion.

Both districts continue to grow because they are worthwhile districts with reputations for excellence.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:52 AM

I agree with most everything that graysmom has said. Emmaus is a nice town and it's schools are good. My point is that if you are moving because of overcrowded schools, you might look around a little more. Southern Lehigh schools are also dealing with a slight growth problem and are planning a new 4th grade - 6th grade building to be completed in 2009. As for the test scores, Southern Lehigh outscores East Penn and is about the same as Parkland.

That said, I think graysmom's point about the make up of the student body is just as important as scores. There's nothing like making an appointment and visiting the schools to see where you think your kids will fit in. If you have good students, they will do well at any of these schools.

Old 05-26-2007, 02:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,354 times
Thank you both for your replys. I appreciate the imput.

Old 05-27-2007, 11:33 PM

185 posts, read 672,884 times
Southern lehigh and emmaus are both great school systems. When I went, southern lehigh was better in academics and emmaus better for music and sports.

Emmaus has a weird program that grades students on their body mass indexes though. So if your child's weight doesn't fit properly with the chart even if their doctor thinks they are completely healthy and a proper weight, the body mass index could impact their gpa.

Old 05-28-2007, 10:40 AM

Actually, Southern Lehigh took the cue from East Penn and they also do a bmi for the students. I think many schools around the country do it as well.

Are you sure that has anything to do with the grades? My son (last one to go through the school system) had a flyer with his last report card that showed his bmi along with height and weight and where he fell in the average but this had nothing to do with the academics.

I don't think you can compare the two school districts except academically. Because East Penn is so much larger they don't play each other in sports. Our football team stinks but others (boys soccer, basketball, girls field hockey and softball) have gone on to the district and state level for the last several years. I guess I'm just being nit-picky though because I think Emmaus is a neat town with a nice main street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley