Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 06:03 PM

124 posts, read 342,099 times

Advertisements

Thanks Karen...I actually called St. Ann's in Bethlehem today for info. I think this will be our choice in schooling for our children & I am guessing Notre Dame HS in Beth is the HS they would attend? I went to private school and this was my #1 choice for my kids anyway...hubby and I had then agreed on public for the move to ease us financially, but we have reconsidered private after seeing the test scores, rankings, and statistics. Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyi View Post
Thanks Karen...I actually called St. Ann's in Bethlehem today for info. I think this will be our choice in schooling for our children & I am guessing Notre Dame HS in Beth is the HS they would attend? I went to private school and this was my #1 choice for my kids anyway...hubby and I had then agreed on public for the move to ease us financially, but we have reconsidered private after seeing the test scores, rankings, and statistics. Thanks for the info!
St. Ann's has an excellent reputation, and my next-door neighbor is a Notre Dame/Green Pond (not to be confused with Notre Dame E. Stroudsburg) graduate. He loved Notre Dame - was a nice small size.

Private school is a huge financial sacrifice but well worth it if you can. I am lucky enough to have family who help us.

Good luck with your move!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,876 times
If I can just add my 2 cents worth- my children all graduated from EASD (1999-2001) having transferred from a smaller school in New York state when they were in High School. They had a really rough time. Yes- Easton High offers a lot of activities for the kids- there are plenty of opportunities for them to get involved. On the flip side- the class size was an issue; the lack of counselor support was a constant. I personally spent a good deal of time in the school talking to the counselors and teachers, trying to work things out for them, but the sad fact was that the classes were geared for the "least common denominator"- and so were not challenging; there was a definite undercurrent in the school at that time (which I understand is still there) that effected attitudes on many of the kids (mine included) from many of the teachers, and an overpopulation problem in the classroom.

If I had it to do over again, I never would have sent the kids to EASD- I am very sorry that I didn't have all of the information ahead of time.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:41 AM

I am so sorry that you and your children had such a bad experience. I have not heard very good things about EASD since researching so we veared away a while ago. We have chosen Nazareth and will be building a home there. I hope we are happy...it seems we will be. Thanks for the honest heads up. It is very appreciated!

Old 06-05-2010, 12:23 PM

208 posts, read 651,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksforksnloveit View Post
If I can just add my 2 cents worth- my children all graduated from EASD (1999-2001) having transferred from a smaller school in New York state when they were in High School. They had a really rough time. Yes- Easton High offers a lot of activities for the kids- there are plenty of opportunities for them to get involved. On the flip side- the class size was an issue; the lack of counselor support was a constant. I personally spent a good deal of time in the school talking to the counselors and teachers, trying to work things out for them, but the sad fact was that the classes were geared for the "least common denominator"- and so were not challenging; there was a definite undercurrent in the school at that time (which I understand is still there) that effected attitudes on many of the kids (mine included) from many of the teachers, and an overpopulation problem in the classroom.

If I had it to do over again, I never would have sent the kids to EASD- I am very sorry that I didn't have all of the information ahead of time.
With all due respect, you have to realize that each school has issues. Unfortunately, after speaking with others in the Lehigh Valley in various districts, the types of issues you were faced with are commonplace everywhere. These days it seems that the counselors only spend most of their time on "the best of the best" students. If your child is a good (not great) or average student, the counselors don't spend any time on them. I have friends with children in Nazareth, Parkland, and other districts that have faced the same exact issues. Bottom line is that school will be what you make of it and the days of the schools helping the kids to decide on the perfect college, career, etc. are gone unless your child is at the very top of the ladder.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:40 AM

Ummmmm no I totally disagree with this opinion made a statement. I understand where you are coming from, but there are schools that do focus on children with learning disabilities and there are schools out there that still hold teachers who actually care. Smaller schools obviously have an easier time giving attention to each individual child while a larger school will be more difficult to do so bc of the class size. I can't stand the statement, "School will be what you make of it." Because, as much on top of your children you are when it comes to school, if they aren't getting the correct attention in school, they are not going to grasp it if they are not as sharp as another child who doesn't need as much help. Granted, there are parents who just don't guide their children at all, so there is less chance of the child excelling but not necessarily depending on how focused the child is in himself.

I believe it doesn't all boil down to one thing, but actually many different variables that a child will and can succeed and one variable being class size.

We have chosen to relocate to Nazareth SD and are very happy with what we've heard about the schools there. We shall see!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:58 AM

Just wanted to add that I have heard nothing but bad things about Easton SD but also know someone who graduated from there years ago (98 or so) and he turned out fine....military though, no college.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Congratulations on your upcoming move Kelly!! Please keep us posted on how it goes. One of my co-workers lives in Nazareth and likes it very much.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:18 PM

208 posts, read 651,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyi View Post
Just wanted to add that I have heard nothing but bad things about Easton SD but also know someone who graduated from there years ago (98 or so) and he turned out fine....military though, no college.
Well, Kelly, I believe you are moving to Nazareth SD and they are VERY prejudice against the Easton SD. Somewhat of a superior attitude there and the funniest part is most of that comes from the newcomers, not the natives who have no real knowledge of that area. I can tell you that all of my husband's family and my children have graduated from there, gone to college and are doing extremely well and very successful. School is what you make of it, no matter where you go. Also, a BIG plus to Easton is that the kids there are exposed to diversity and all of my Naz friends have admitted that their kids have grown up in a "bubble" and they are concerned about them heading to large colleges.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
My kids grew up in a bubble with 95% white kids but when they went to college they made friends with kids from different backgrounds, nationalities and skin colors. It was not uncommon for me to meet a new friend for the first time and find out that they were not white. Didn't occur to my kids to mention that when they were describing them. Prejudice is taught at home.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley