U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 10:02 AM

503 posts, read 1,099,813 times
Default Allentown vs. NJ cities

I know Allentown has a bad reputation. If you live in the surrounding areas (Macungie, Emmaus, South and North Macungie and others) do you see the crime coming into your towns?

Is Allentown as bad a Newark, NJ or even Plainfield?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 10:29 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,673,915 times
Allentown is a dump, but I doubt it will reach the cesspool levels of the NJ cities you mentioned.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:35 AM

10,031 posts, read 15,402,935 times
If you do a google search with the key words, "crime statistics, Allentown, PA" you'll see links to sites with stats that show crime in Allentown vs. National crime. Then do it with Newark, NJ. You'll see that Newark's murder rate is much higher, while Allentown has more non-personal type crimes like burglary. Newark is also twice as large as Allentown.

I feel the small towns surrounding the city's are relatively safe. Unfortunately, the local newspaper does not do a very good job of covering crime outside of the city unless it involves a vehicle or someone dies.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:07 PM

12,283 posts, read 12,318,274 times
In turns of Crime , Newark is becoming safer. Allentown has a growing crime problem or least while i was there 2006-2007. Bethlehem is safe , Easton has problems. Philpsburg,NJ form what i can understand is safe. hmmmm.... I haven't been there in a year , but thats all i know. But you can't really compare any NJ Cities with ABE, becuz there completely different areas, its more dense here, and compacted. Out there its spread out. But i can say that New Jersey Urban areas are getting safer and nicer to live in. We have a bad rap that never seems to go away....sigh.....

Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 PM

12 posts, read 33,454 times
No offense Nexis4Jersey, but you have NO clue about Newark NJ. LOL. Newark is such a crime ridden city that's flooded with Bloods, Crips, and hoodlums. The local Mayor, recently forced downtown Newark stores to take off barb wire from gates/ fences because it gives outside commuters the wrong impression. Obviously, this is a tactic to mask the huge crime issue in Newark and eventually motivate thugs to break in to stores/houses..etc without the protection of barb wire. Also, Newark is in a cluster of crappy, crime ridden cities to name a few.. Irvington, Elizabeth, and East Orange. Newark certainly has its problems, but by a landslide Allentown is 200 X's SAFER than Newark.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:12 PM

12,283 posts, read 12,318,274 times
I go to Newark every week 3x , i have Friends in Newark. Crime is going down , you don't know what your talking about. Yes they are gangs , but there mainly on the Western Side, which is the Most Dangerous side of Newark. They made the City nicer by taking the barbed wire down, even store owners agreed it had to go. Elizabeth is safer then Newark and even Jersey City, i think its the safest largest city in NJ. The Mayor of Newark is doing an Excellent job of changing the city , but i guess you can't see that. Newark is becoming a second choice after Jersey City for many Artists and Musicians. I think you need to visit Newark and Explore it more, and open your mind more. Irvington is bad, but thats becuz of Corruption and Location. East Orange is getting better, aswell as most cities outside of Newark. Allentown has been sheltered to much , but it think as there population grows crime will too , but they can look to Newark & Elizabeth to see how they got theres under control.

~Corey

Old 01-24-2010, 08:15 PM

12 posts, read 33,454 times
Nexis4Jersey, FYI - I'm very familiar with Essex county because I use to reside in Hudson County (West New York to be exact for several years) & have friends that live in Newark and my boyfriend use to work in Newark downtown on McCarter Highway . If you believe that Newark is on an upswing, keep dreaming Brotha!!! Elizabeth (the Colombian/ Portuguese section) is nicer than Newark but crime statistics show that it’s relatively the same crime rate other than Newark because Elizabeth is hammered by the remnants of Newark traffic. And by far, Jersey City is alot more safer than stinky Elizabeth..look JC has the Newport section, Waterfront. What measures did the Mayor do to help Newark and Elizabeth..just shift the crackheads further away from the downtown??!? Let’s just face it, nobody in their right mind would chose Newark over Jersey City..even down the hill (Greenville) in Jersey city looks like the Ritz compared to that dump.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:42 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,402,935 times
Hey guys if you want to talk about NJ, please take it to the NJ boards. This is the Lehigh Valley forum - people move here to get out of NJ.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:25 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,733,342 times
I live in Lower Macungie and it's lovely. Allentown is a very big city and although it has some not so nice areas, it also has some very nice areas as well.

I can honestly say that I have had no issues in terms of crime, etc. living here.

Old 01-29-2010, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 10,036 times
I live on the border of Upper/Lower Macungie and it's very nice & quiet. The biggest difference between the two is the school district. Upper Macungie is in Parkland SD, which is good with lower taxes, Lower Macungie is in East Penn which is better, but with higher taxes. There is little crime out here, nothing more than occassional teenage mischeif. As for Allentown, I compare it more to Trenton than Newark...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley