Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:47 PM

62 posts, read 143,637 times

Advertisements

Hi, does anyone live in pa and work for or know anyone who works for Cablevision in Nj that commutes. My husband will getting a transfer to Nj from Ny for his company and was wondering how everyone was liking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 AM

124 posts, read 342,061 times
Are you asking about how people feel about the ride from PA to NJ, or do you just want advice from people who work at cablevision specifically for work hour reasons? What town in NJ is he getting transferred to? I can tell you that my husband works in Somerset, NJ and we plan on moving to Nazareth, PA. It will be a 15 minute more commute for him....making it an hour ride but Nazareth is farther out than other towns you may be looking into like Bethelehem, Forks. He works from 730a to 330p as a normal straight day and then can work up to 16.9 hrs total with OT. So some days will be working until around 11pm. I have been traveling an hour without traffic to NYC from NJ for the past 13 yrs working anywhere between 12 & 18 hrs a day and as it is a rough ride at the end of the week, I am used to it and I do it. I don't know if this helps you in any way but I hope so! Lehigh Valley is where you want to be if you live in PA and travel to NJ/NY.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:10 AM

HI, I believe he will be in Piscataway NJ area Raritan. We have been looking at Beth/Forks/Easton. Theres so many areas not sure where to begin. We are going in 2 weeks to look and hopefully see some houses. Are there any areas you would suggest. I am a sahm of 3 two are elem school age so school does play a role. Being from Long Island, NY I would like to be in a Suburban area. I need my target/kohls/sams near by LOL

Old 01-27-2010, 10:03 AM

I have researched every area in the Eastern Lehigh Valley and Easton schools are not the greatest - they actually rank the lowest but the HS is very large - it's pretty diverse. If you do happen to find something in this SD, private school is also an option if it falls within your budget. I have heard good things about St. Ann's elementary in Bethlehem and Nortre Dame HS. I personally didn't like the towns in the Easton SD but that's my opinion. I like Bethlehem and the SD is ranked midway if you stay in the Freedom district - stay away fromm Liberty HS....I hear it's pretty bad. Personally, we fell in love with Nazareth. Bushkill to be exact, bc of it's beauty. It's more rural and a bit further away from the action but not too far. It'd be about a 7 minute drive to the town of Wind Gap for some shopping and restaurants. This SD ranks #2 right under Saucon. Hellertown falls within the Saucon SD and is a great town but a little more $$$. Piscataway is in my hubby's work area - he works for PSE&G.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:59 AM

yea still not hearing such great things on Easton areas I did look at Nazareth and there doesn't seem to be many homes for sale. I dont want to be out in country stuck if you knwo what I mean I'll have to mapquest some stores near Nazareth. I am going to look at windgap and hellertown now. did you find ahome in Naz or are you going with a builder?>?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:47 AM

Kellyi does yoru husband take 78? are there any tolls along his comute?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM

We found a few homes for sale that we are interested in and also 2 builders that we like. Rt 33 is 7-10 minutes drive depending on where you are in Naz, then another 10 minutes to get to Target, Bed Bath & Beyond etc...but the town of Windgap is right down the road (again, depending on where you are in Naz) that has a grocery store, restaurants, fast food, gas. The street we found in Bushkill, Naz is a very convenient location. Lower Naz is closer to Rt 22 and you can go into Phillipsburg to shop. Check out Eagles Landing in Nazareth. I see your price range is up to $300,000. We are about the same, but are looking at up to $350,000 with the possibility of the sellers moving down in price...this market they are most likely to. Alot more comes up with the max at $350,000 when you do the searches.

Not much in that price range in Hellertown. I think if there were, we'd be looking moreso into that town though I really do LOVE Nazareth. It's all a matter of if you like the whole peaceful farmland/mountain view thing or a more built up town. We prefer the former.

Emmaus & Macungie are getting a bit far. We didn't even bother looking there bc of the ride but both the schools and the towns themselves are supposedly great. It's just a matter of how long of a commute you are willing to do every day : )

Old 01-28-2010, 11:28 AM

it seem slike its going to be an hour give or take anyway I pull it. I was looking into upper Naz. I don't think there any homes already built in eagles landing, do you know ?

Old 01-29-2010, 03:59 AM

169 posts, read 661,212 times
you should try and talk to someone that does that commute daily. Depending on your hubby's hours it could take longer than an hour each way. My neighbor commuted to NJ around RT 287 and thought his commute would be much shorter than it actually was, he commuted for 3 years and then moved. He said the commute got to him.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:53 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
My husband commuted about an hour each way daily for about a year (NOT to NJ) before we could sell our house and move. He hated it and even now, 12 years later, does not like to hear rush hour traffic reports. The winter must be the worst when it could be dark for both parts of the drive.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley