U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley
 [Register]
Lehigh Valley Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-01-2007, 03:19 PM

611 posts, read 1,315,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVallygrl View Post
Oh BTW commute from the LEhigh Valley door to door (Port Authority - if you need to take the subway add additional time) is 2 1/2 to 3 hours on a GOOD day. DO NOT let anyone tell you it's 90 minutes. IT'S NOT! And there is NO train coming to the Lehigh Valley into NYC. Plans to extend the SEPTA train from Philly to Quakertown are in the works but still years away.
Yes it is over two hours. There is a bus line that goes to NYC daily leaving every half hour or so. You can sleep on the bus. I don't commute but if I did I'd ride the bus. It's around $200 a month.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 07:27 PM

34 posts, read 90,691 times
move to easton you will like it!

Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM

11 posts, read 20,388 times
Have you looked in the North Bethlehem/Hannover area?
Many of the older houses have just under 1 acre to multiple acres of land. If you look in a newer development you'll probably only get about 1/2 acre.
It's pretty quiet here and I can't recall any kind of crime in the area in all the years I've lived here.
Doesn't take long to get to Downtown, good number of stores in the area, movies, golf, Dorney Park, etc.
Also, if the new Sands does create some problems, it's out of the area enough to not be affected.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:43 PM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
460 posts, read 1,499,763 times
Default Bethlehem is a nice place to live

Every town seems to have its share or crime/drugs/gangs etc - and like they say beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I currently live in Bethlehem moved from Livingston NJ and I love it. I telecommute and work in NJ a few days so I preferred to be close to route 78 - also I am only about 15 minutes or so to the LVI airport, jobs and shopping.

Bethlehem is a safe nice place to live and raise a family if you are on the other side of town where its more quite and relaxed.....once you cross over to the downtown/city side its a whole new ball game and I'd stay away from there.

Someone mentioned Forks in Easton - there were a few properties down there I was looking at as well but they did not have enough acreage so if having a decent yard is not an option I guess Forks should work out for you.

Another option will be Whitehall if it is in your price range.

Best bet is to gather enough information from CD then take a weekend drive down these areas and see for yourself which ones you think you might fit in the best.

Good Luck

==================

Quote:
Originally Posted by rono626 View Post
My Wife and I are looking at houses in the Lehigh Valley. We are from NYC, and are amazed at what the prices are there. We're ready for something more suburban, but do not want to move to the middle of nowhere either (a 10-20 min. drive to jobs, entertainment, shopping would be ideal).

Things that are important to us:
Safety (want to know the wife can walk around on her own)
Having some property (don't need 5 acres, but a yard where we could plant some tomatoes would be nice)
Selection of restaurants
Golf
Live music scene (I play bass)

So far we've seen Easton (we like College Hill) and Bethlehem. We like them both, but want to hear what people who have been there a while think.

Also, are there any areas near those two cities that we'd want to look at as well?

Old 09-27-2007, 07:52 PM

15 posts, read 32,020 times
I lived in lower Macungie and LOVED IT.. the ONLY reason I don't still live there is because I loved living in Florida more..I actually lived nearby to a beautiful golf course and we had half and acre..the school district East Penn and its one of THE best districts in PA..I have been told that folks were moving in from Ny and NJ just so their kids could attend the schools. Wescosville elementary is the name of the elementary school my son attended and have nothing but the best to say about it. Good luck

Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 AM

467 posts, read 992,948 times
Between Easton and Bethlehem, I would choose Bethlehem....Hey maybe you could join
a "combo" for their annual musikfest......Also If you like music, did you ever consider
Delaware Water Gap...a very small old town, lots of jazz and music lovers, small town
atmosphere....Good luck...

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,859,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveithere View Post
I lived in lower Macungie and LOVED IT.. the ONLY reason I don't still live there is because I loved living in Florida more..I actually lived nearby to a beautiful golf course and we had half and acre..the school district East Penn and its one of THE best districts in PA..I have been told that folks were moving in from Ny and NJ just so their kids could attend the schools. Wescosville elementary is the name of the elementary school my son attended and have nothing but the best to say about it. Good luck
I'm so happy to read this, as we are moving to Lower Macungie at the end of the month!!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:23 AM

1,024 posts, read 2,859,965 times
Have you looked into Nazareth? We decided to stay east of Allentown with my husband working in Bethlehem, but when we were considering west of Allentown, Nazareth was the best bet - good schools and all.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

33 posts, read 136,435 times
There's not many places in the LV that are more than 10-15 minutes away from everything you need. I'm from Macungie (Lower Macungie Twp) PA. It's nice, convenient, etc, but it's growing a little too fast for my taste. Developments popping up all over. Our East Penn School Distr. is known to be excellent, but now the overcrowding is becoming an issue.
I agree Saucon Valley sounds like it would fit what you're looking for. Larger properties there also, from what I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Lehigh Valley