Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2010, 06:46 PM

49 posts, read 114,417 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

We are looking to move off of Long Island (NY) in the next year or so after our son moves away to college.

My husband works in the fitness industry (club manager and personal trainer) and I work as an executive assistant to the CEO of a public company in the financial services industry.

We are looking to move South - to either a warmer climate or a place that has all four seasons but milder winters than NY.

We would expect to spend about $250k for a home; preferentially new construction - 3bdrs, some yard but don't need alot of yard. We have three dogs and love being outdoors.

What areas are best for our lifestyle? How far will I need to drive for employment in a corporate office (although, I am also a certified personal trainer)? Is the fitness industry 'robust' in Lexington?

I have just started looking at this area (already done research on Atlanta GA, Greenville SC, Raleigh NC, Mooresville (Lake Norman area) NC. Any advice or experiences to share would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 06:47 PM

Oh -- and what are the general property taxes/school taxes for a $250k home in a good school district (more so for resale -- don't need to send any children to school).

Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 14,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathealy View Post
Hi everyone.

We are looking to move off of Long Island (NY) in the next year or so after our son moves away to college.

My husband works in the fitness industry (club manager and personal trainer) and I work as an executive assistant to the CEO of a public company in the financial services industry.

We are looking to move South - to either a warmer climate or a place that has all four seasons but milder winters than NY.
Kentucky does have the four seasons. The winters are not nearly as harsh as in Long Island and the summers are quite hot beginning around the middle of June and running through the middle of September.
One factor to keep in mind is that the Kentucky area can become quite stagnant relating to air movement which results in a lot of allergies and breathing difficulties.

Quote:
We would expect to spend about $250k for a home; preferentially new construction - 3bdrs, some yard but don't need alot of yard. We have three dogs and love being outdoors.
For the amount you are willing to invest, you shouldn't have any problem either finding or building a nice home of 2000-2500 sq. ft. Property taxes vary quite extensively depending on the local you are in. If you choose to be in a more rural area the rate can be as much as half the rate of Lexington Metro. Quoting a rate is difficult at best.

Quote:
What areas are best for our lifestyle? How far will I need to drive for employment in a corporate office (although, I am also a certified personal trainer)? Is the fitness industry 'robust' in Lexington?
There are a lot of corporate offices in the Lexington area. While the fitness industry has had a lot of struggling in the past decade, it seems to be getting a steady foothold in the area. (Not nearly as stable as in the Atlanta area)

Having lived in the Raleigh area, I can say the weather is even less severe than in Kentucky. There are a lot of corporate offices in the Raleigh-Durham area and a wide selection of properties available for the purchase of existing homes and for new construction.

I hope I have helped you in some small way. Good luck!
CD

Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 AM

969 posts, read 2,820,114 times
If you want new construction close to potential employment, you will be outside Man O War Bvd near Hamburg or Nicholasville Road. Some neighborhood names will be Willow Bend, Glasford, Chilesburg, Stuart Hall, Bryant Oak, and The Home Place. As you look online at houses (Use lbarmls.com to search) you will see some in Masterson in your price range that will look really good for the money. While that is a nice area, there isn't much close to it that you mentioned you preferred.

The tax rates do vary here depending on which services the city provides (street cleaning, street lights, garbage collection, etc.) Click this link to see them all: Fayette County Property Valuation Administrator

Check out my blog too if you like. I have some video neighborhood tours that may help you see what some of Lexington looks like.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Thank you both for the information provided. It is greatly appreciated.

I will definitely circle back with questions.

Best,
Kathleen
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area